Help can’t get my viv temp up…

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The UK Arcadia MVB is by far the best one I've tried. You're correct that they are not to be used with a thermostat. They need to be adjusted by height and set at a range that provides proper UVB. You may not get the proper surface temps this way and need an additional bulb - that's the catch with using the all in one MVBs. The 100w version I have produces a good amount of UVB between about 30-35cm and the temperature is just about right at that distance. The output from the 80w will be a bit lower, so you'll need it to be closer to achieve the same. Your results will also vary based on ambient temperature and insulating factors of your enclosure.

What are the dimensions of your enclosure? What you might consider doing is to replace the MVB with a plain basking light that you can operate on a thermostat or dimmer. Something along these lines Swell Basking Heat Lamps Screw Fitting or a similar flood bulb from a hardware store. You may need to try a few different wattages or brands to find what works best in your setup. Once you find one that produces proper surface temps, grab a few to have on hand for when they burn out.

Keep the MVB handy and use it on an adjustable stand with a dome fixture that you can use as a portable basking spot for around the house (if it's safe to let him roam around a bit as he gets older). Once you have the temps straightened out via the controller and a halogen or incandescent bulb, you can use a T5 bulb for UVB. This would attach to the top of the enclosure and should sit about 30cm above the main basking area for optimal output. Arcadia ProT5 Kit - Desert 12%

Slou83

Original Poster
The UK Arcadia MVB is by far the best one I've tried. You're correct that they are not to be used with a thermostat. They need to be adjusted by height and set at a range that provides proper UVB. You may not get the proper surface temps this way and need an additional bulb - that's the catch with using the all in one MVBs. The 100w version I have produces a good amount of UVB between about 30-35cm and the temperature is just about right at that distance. The output from the 80w will be a bit lower, so you'll need it to be closer to achieve the same. Your results will also vary based on ambient temperature and insulating factors of your enclosure.

What are the dimensions of your enclosure? What you might consider doing is to replace the MVB with a plain basking light that you can operate on a thermostat or dimmer. Something along these lines Swell Basking Heat Lamps Screw Fitting or a similar flood bulb from a hardware store. You may need to try a few different wattages or brands to find what works best in your setup. Once you find one that produces proper surface temps, grab a few to have on hand for when they burn out.

Keep the MVB handy and use it on an adjustable stand with a dome fixture that you can use as a portable basking spot for around the house (if it's safe to let him roam around a bit as he gets older). Once you have the temps straightened out via the controller and a halogen or incandescent bulb, you can use a T5 bulb for UVB. This would attach to the top of the enclosure and should sit about 30cm above the main basking area for optimal output. Arcadia ProT5 Kit - Desert 12%
Ok thank you for help. Im glad you all know your stuff.
I’m going to struggle to get this all set up tonight. Do you think if I place something higher for him to be closer to the bulb that will suffice this evening? Also with the probes do I place them against the surface he sits on to get an accurate temperature? I say him, I actually have no idea if it’s a boy or girl currently as they couldn’t tell me in the shop.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok thank you for help. Im glad you all know your stuff.
I’m going to struggle to get this all set up tonight. Do you think if I place something higher for him to be closer to the bulb that will suffice this evening? Also with the probes do I place them against the surface he sits on to get an accurate temperature? I say him, I actually have no idea if it’s a boy or girl currently as they couldn’t tell me in the shop.
Place the probe where he /she sits for basking -- wait 10 min then get the temp go from there for your wattage -- I would get some light on the other side of the tank 80's F during the day please get the Pro T 5 for your UVB --- often the MVB's do not emit enough UVB for the dragon so its best to have another one in the tank - the distance for the Pro T 5 would be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece 12-15 inches -- we can sex the dragon depending on how old he/ she is -- when you get the temp you do not need to leave it there stick it to the side of the tank it will then give you ambient temps spot check it like once a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom