Help!!! BEARDIE DIED OVERNIGHT :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

jord4242

My beardie started acting letharic couple days ago but still ate he used to chase crickets instantly as they went in his tank and was a very energetic lizard then just stopped eatin all together, within 24 hours he puked up his breakfast and some mealworms i gave him as a treat later in the day.(only gave him couple as they r like cady) moral of this story is i woke.up next day and he was dead, i seen the night before he looked like had a seazure under his hidding spot but it also looked like he was just yawning and havin a scratch on the wood, obv i was wrong... he was in a 40g tank with a white uv basking light temps never got above 105 never went below 95 cool side was never above 80. Nighttime temps never dropped below 70. Theres a uvb 10.0 reptisun tube running along ontop of the tank. Puff was 8months i was told so i got a mat insead of substrate sand for the floor. He got.fresh greens everyday along wit fresh water. He was eating upwards of 20 crickets a day i would feed about ten in morning ten at 3 hours before lights went out dusted wit calcium and d3 the petstore recomended. I did alot of reasearch even bought an advanced manual on bearded drsgons im sure my husbandry is sufice im just sad he dyed the lil guy was my buddy. Any advice is appreciated thanks. Jordan

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
wow.
i am so sorry :(

i don't know what to tell you, it sounds like everything was set up correctly.

i don't think you'll know exactly what happened unless you let a vet check to see. any chance he swallowed something he shouldn't have?

he didn't act different at all prior? it's weird that he only started acting like that a few days ago. it seems sudden, unless he had a heart problem or something like that.

jord4242

Original Poster
I took him to the petstore and they said it has to be soon after they die to get a autopsy but the conclusion from couple beardie owners there said it had to be a natural problem its the only explanation for such a sudden death.

ReptileRy

im sorry for your loss... :cry:

im not an expert, but could he have been impacted from the mealies at all..?

my prayers are headed your way..

Hey there. I'm so sorry for your loss.

May I ask, ow old is your beardie? If he's less then 1 year old you shouldn't be feeding him mealworms, babys cannot handle them very well. Also, what is your substrate? Wood chips? Regular sand? He could of died from impactions caused by him swallowing the substrate.

-Charlie

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
I am so sorry about the loss of Puff. It feels like a part of your heart is ripped out. Maybe you'll find it in your heart to get a new one? Not as a replacement. But I think Puff would want you to get another one. It could've been a heart problem. I lost a chicken to a heart murmur. It was so sudden and harsh. I feel your pain. :cry:

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
Charmonkey":2i98bkbz said:
Hey there. I'm so sorry for your loss.

May I ask, ow old is your beardie? If he's less then 1 year old you shouldn't be feeding him mealworms, babys cannot handle them very well. Also, what is your substrate? Wood chips? Regular sand? He could of died from impactions caused by him swallowing the substrate.

-Charlie

Original post said he was 8 months, mat flooring, and the mealworms were given as treats.

How long was Puff with you?

smeegy

What kind of veggies were you feeding the little guy? Even though it's green, it doesnt mean its good and beardies will try to eat anything. Some veggies and fruits will even take away vital nutrients. Also, was he going to the bathroom, everyday? Did you get him at a petshop or a breeder? Petshops don't really have the ideal conditions a beardie needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom