Help! Beardie ate shoelace

Peachy114

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Coco
Oh my God I feel like such a bad person right now. I was letting my beardie out (Coco) and she would usually sit in the same place most of the time and not do anything really so I felt safe letting her out the cage and wander around my room. I never noticed anything wrong with her because she would just be acting energetic as usual (climbing, basking, etc.) I didn't see her eating but it was normal for her to ignore her food for a day then eat the next.

Turns out she had eaten my shoelace! I saw her poping a small bit of it out, so I very slowly pulled it out of her. I feel so bad and I see a bit of blood on it.

After a while I let her out the cage again and started to jump and climb as she usually does. Should I take her to the vet?? I'm so worried right now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Oh my God I feel like such a bad person right now. I was letting my beardie out (Coco) and she would usually sit in the same place most of the time and not do anything really so I felt safe letting her out the cage and wander around my room. I never noticed anything wrong with her because she would just be acting energetic as usual (climbing, basking, etc.) I didn't see her eating but it was normal for her to ignore her food for a day then eat the next.

Turns out she had eaten my shoelace! I saw her poping a small bit of it out, so I very slowly pulled it out of her. I feel so bad and I see a bit of blood on it.

After a while I let her out the cage again and started to jump and climb as she usually does. Should I take her to the vet?? I'm so worried right now.
If shes pooping it out thats good --- keep watching for more of it -- do you know how long it was? If she starts straining to go then there is a issue - there could be a cause of concern then -- I dont and hope it does not get wrapped around anything in that digestive parts --- we can have some others respond to this
@AHBD
@Drache613
@Claudiusx

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Wow
I hope she is ok. I would also monitor her poops to makes sure there isn't more blood. You might see some on the next one, but if it doesn't stop pretty quickly me personly i would probably go see a vet. But if it clears up i would just keep an eye on her like karrieree said.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

She should be ok. Your vet wouldn't be able to do much about this anyways. The lining of the throat/intestines is easily damaged, so it would be expected to see a little blood if you pulled a shoelace out of her. Luckily, the body is pretty good at healing itself too. Try to keep her diet soft for a week or so, no hard insects/salad items.

-Brandon

Peachy114

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Coco
Sorry for the late reply but thank you. Would it be fine if I just fed her kale for the week?
Hi there,

She should be ok. Your vet wouldn't be able to do much about this anyways. The lining of the throat/intestines is easily damaged, so it would be expected to see a little blood if you pulled a shoelace out of her. Luckily, the body is pretty good at healing itself too. Try to keep her diet soft for a week or so, no hard insects/salad items.

-Brandon

Peachy114

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Coco
If shes pooping it out thats good --- keep watching for more of it -- do you know how long it was? If she starts straining to go then there is a issue - there could be a cause of concern then -- I dont and hope it does not get wrapped around anything in that digestive parts --- we can have some others respond to this
@AHBD
@Drache613
@Claudiusx
So, I've been looking online on the web at the time and I didn't see anything related to a situation where beardie ate a shoe string (till I found this place) so I pulled all of it out. It came out fairly easily and I stopped for a bit everytime she'd shift if she was uncomfortable. The shoelace is like +12 in. I can send a picture.

Last edited:

Peachy114

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Coco
This is the shoelace. I can't belive she had this all in her. She's been acting as her usual self but since she never showed that she was in any pain when she at the shoelace I am in a bit of doubt.
20220714_204053.jpg

Last edited:

Lobretto

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Verstappen and Checo
It likey just passed through without any serious complications mainly being impaction. If she's acting fine and eating well then she's likely just fine. It's honestly incredible that she did not get impacted, some how it must have stayed stretched out (the shoe lace) as I'd assume if it bunched up anywhere it would have impacted. You dodged a bullet on that one, count your blessing and be happy she's doing good.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, that's really incredible and your dragon is lucky that all went through. Give her some raw honey for a few days to help her G.I. tract.
Everyone can remind all beardie owners to carefully scan your floors if you let your beardie out to roam. They can swallow coins, rubber bands, paper clips, hair scrunchy's, small plastic toys + other items like this shoelace.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Beardies are like having toddlers in your home, they are curious about everything and everything is going straight into there mouth.

Peachy114

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Coco
Hello everyone! Update here,

Coco (my beardie) is doing fine it seems! She is eating and pooping as well as jumping and running around my room! I'm so glad she didn't get impacted!! She's my lucky beardie and I'm definitely going to make sure that this doesn't happen again! I'm going to feed her honey tomorrow and see how she does with that. I'm keeping her just on kale for the week too.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
Yes i agree. Hazel Eats EVERYTHING in her path LOLXD Like i set her on my desk and she chomps on many things on my desk! They are very curious

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom