Help!! Bearded Dragon: Spasms?! Twitching?! Digging?!

kaitlb95

Please help! My bearded dragon is a little over 13 months old. She started making these strange movements today. It’s as if she is either twitching, having spasms, or digging. Any idea of what’s going on?! She hasn’t been eating for a couple of weeks. I’ve been giving her Reptaid and Repta Boost along with a slurry of pumpkin and grubpie. I’ve attached a video from today of the movement she is making. She’s also extremely hyper right now. She started head bobbing today. This is her first time doing that. I weigh her once a week and she has lost about 20 grams since last week. Any idea of what’s going on or anyone has experienced anything similar with their bearded dragon?

Her basking area is about 110F
Her cool side is around 82F-85F
Her UVB is a Reptisun 10.0 15 watt T8 (I change it every 6 months)
She gets calcium with vitamin D a few times weeks
Multivitamin a few times weekly
Probiotics a twice a week
Before she stopped eating her diet consisted of mustard greens, collard greens, Dubia roaches, crickets, and super worms

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    1.3 MB
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    1.3 MB

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Where is your T 8? In the tank or top of screen- I am not sure what she's doing there-- the losing weight is not good- are you sure it's female? Please post a pic of the vent flat surface tail in the air - it's like he's observing male behavior - I ve never seen a dragon do that I have 2 of them
@AHBD

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you sure that your dragon is a female?
I have had a male who exhibited that type of behavior.....hormonal behavior I believe. :)
I don't think there is any health problem going on there though.

Tracie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I was wondering if maybe it is a she and gravid, the video is short so it kindda makes it hard to tell.
I'll post a pic of how to sex them.
(I know 13 months is early for eggs, but that looks like a decent sized dragon)

Attachments

• s2OIALbl.jpg
    s2OIALbl.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 61

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Actually after re-watching the video, it does kind of look like a male getting frisky with the paper towel. I've seen my older male do that with the dogs toys.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I agree that it's dreaming of finding that perfect mate but for now will settle for a napkin or paper plate.

Our poor little dummies. :)
Lmao that's a riot 🤣

kaitlb95

Original Poster
Where is your T 8? In the tank or top of screen- I am not sure what she's doing there-- the losing weight is not good- are you sure it's female? Please post a pic of the vent flat surface tail in the air - it's like he's observing male behavior - I ve never seen a dragon do that I have 2 of them
@AHBD
The T8 is inside her enclosure. I took this pic of her vent. I put my phone flashlight on her tail and only saw one bump so I’m still assuming she’s a girl. I’m going to upgrade to a T5 HO and get a thermometer gun to accurately measure her temps very soon. Hopefully that helps! She threw up yesterday and started gagging this morning so I made her a vet appointment for tomorrow morning. That’s the soonest they could take her. This afternoon she was a little hyper and did eat some of her mustard greens and took a sip of water in her bath. She looks a little dehydrated though and her belly seems bloated. Hopefully it’s nothing too serious! She’s my baby!

Attachments

• 452F945A-3015-488F-9264-6611CAA0D14E.jpeg
    452F945A-3015-488F-9264-6611CAA0D14E.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 65

kaitlb95

Original Poster
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today? Still having that type of behavior?
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie
She is still a bit hyper. She hasn’t done that movement that she did in the video again though. Her belly does seem a bit bloated and she looks a little dehydrated. She threw up yesterday and was gagging this morning. After that I took her a bath and she did take a few sips of water. She would periodically run in her cage, and at one point she did eat some of her mustard greens. I am very concerned so I made her an appointment at the vet for tomorrow morning. That was the soonest they could take her. Hopefully it’s nothing too serious! I’m very nervous because she’s my baby! Please send prayers or well wishes my way! 😊

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She is still a bit hyper. She hasn’t done that movement that she did in the video again though. Her belly does seem a bit bloated and she looks a little dehydrated. She threw up yesterday and was gagging this morning. After that I took her a bath and she did take a few sips of water. She would periodically run in her cage, and at one point she did eat some of her mustard greens. I am very concerned so I made her an appointment at the vet for tomorrow morning. That was the soonest they could take her. Hopefully it’s nothing too serious! I’m very nervous because she’s my baby! Please send prayers or well wishes my way! 😊
T 8 needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor - how big are the insects your feeding? IR guns are good but not as accurate as the digital probe thermometers - please get 2 of them if you don't have them--

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, sorry to hear she threw up. Can you post a pic of the enclosure ? How are you measuring the temps ? You might want to drop the basking spot down to about 100, at 110 it's a bit too hot.
Does she eat the syringe feedings willingly ? Might she have gagged or aspirated on some ? Did she maybe eat some paper towel ? I hope the vet does a thorough exam, blood test, maybe xray. Best wishes to you and your beardie !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She is definitely female. How is she doing today, has she calmed down any?
I agree, it's possible she aspirated some water from her bath. I hope she hasn't thrown up again,
poor thing.
How did the vet visit go for her? We are keeping her in our prayers!

Tracie

kaitlb95

Original Poster
Hello,

She is definitely female. How is she doing today, has she calmed down any?
I agree, it's possible she aspirated some water from her bath. I hope she hasn't thrown up again,
poor thing.
How did the vet visit go for her? We are keeping her in our prayers!

Tracie
She is still hyper and scratching, but she hasn’t thrown up again. She had her vet visit this morning and it went well! They did a fecal and an X-ray. The fecal results will come in later today. As for the X-ray, she has EGGS!! The vet said there isn’t many of them and she should pass them on her own. He also said she is in excellent health and her bone density is great. Such a huge relief that the visit went well. I was very stressed!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Thats great news! Does she have a dig box? If not you'll want to provide her with one.
Some females will lay anywhere(personal experience) some supposedly will only lay if they have a place to bury them. (So I've read).

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom