Help bearded dragon gasping and gapping

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing?
If they are not shelled, she could possibly reabsorb them, or, her body might go ahead & start
shelling them so she can lay them. There is really no telling which her body will do at this point.
If her body is low in calcium, then she may not shell them. Hopefully the antibiotic will help to
clear up the infection!
They can become malnourished after laying so you will just want to be sure she gets plenty of
leafy greens, calcium & protein right now to help supplement her system.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Hoku

Original Poster
Hello,

How is she doing?
If they are not shelled, she could possibly reabsorb them, or, her body might go ahead & start
shelling them so she can lay them. There is really no telling which her body will do at this point.
If her body is low in calcium, then she may not shell them. Hopefully the antibiotic will help to
clear up the infection!
They can become malnourished after laying so you will just want to be sure she gets plenty of
leafy greens, calcium & protein right now to help supplement her system.

Tracie
The vet said to try and get her to lay them so I don't think she will reabsorb them. I put sand in half of her tank last night but right when we put her in there for some reason she became almost territorial, not wanting me anywhere near her encloser. This worries me because i still need to take her out to feed her and soak i also need to soak her often according to the vet.
I don't think she has been trying to dig at all but she has been trying to push the eggs out (no luck though) The layer of sand is really thin though so I'm probably gonna try to add more.
Any ideas on how to make her more comfortable?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor girl, she is probably tired. How long is she in the laybox?
You can put a basking light overhead just during the time she is in the laybox, possibly
to help her stay a little warmer in case she might be able to pass the eggs. You can
give her a daiy soak also, & hopefully she will drink some, too.
Has her beard been normal color or has it been darker?

Tracie

Hoku

Original Poster
Hello everyone. I unfortunately have some bad news to share. Bug passed away last Sunday in her sleep. We tried our best to help her but it seems that the infection got the best of us. I'm glad she passed away at home instead of the vet and that she is no longer suffering. I honestly believe that she knew it was just her time to leave and she is in a better place now.
She had a good live before she got sick and I'll always remember as my crazy daredevil that always tried to just of my bed, or pickup her toys and throw them down to get attention. We had a lot of good times and even though it sucks right now I'd do it all over again.
In some ways it's a relief to know she's not longer in pain. I may be sad that she's gone, but it's better than her being and unhappy.
I really want to thank everybody for not only your advice and guidance these past few months but also for all of your support. You guys have been more amazing than you know and it really helps to know that I've done everything I can right up until the end.

Thank you all for everything

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello everyone. I unfortunately have some bad news to share. Bug passed away last Sunday in her sleep. We tried our best to help her but it seems that the infection got the best of us. I'm glad she passed away at home instead of the vet and that she is no longer suffering. I honestly believe that she knew it was just her time to leave and she is in a better place now.
She had a good live before she got sick and I'll always remember as my crazy daredevil that always tried to just of my bed, or pickup her toys and throw them down to get attention. We had a lot of good times and even though it sucks right now I'd do it all over again.
In some ways it's a relief to know she's not longer in pain. I may be sad that she's gone, but it's better than her being and unhappy.
I really want to thank everybody for not only your advice and guidance these past few months but also for all of your support. You guys have been more amazing than you know and it really helps to know that I've done everything I can right up until the end.

Thank you all for everything
I am sorry to hear -- you did everything you could to help her --- it is hard I know trust me- been there and its heart breaking to think you could do nothing more to help her - again I am so sorry -- :cry:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no! Poor girl, I am so sorry that you lost her like that, how heartbreaking for you & your family. :cry:
I am very glad she was not alone & had a loving family fighting with her, during this time. We are all
here for you if you need anything.

Tracie

Hoku

Original Poster
I actually did want to ask you guys something. It's totally fine if you dont want to answer but I'm having a hard time figuring out whether I want to bury her or do something else. I originally wanted to bury her like my family has done with our other pets but the thing is that we recently moved into a rental house and I'll probably be moving again in a year or so. I don't know if it's just me but I feel like it would be weird to leave her in someone else's house.
My dad suggested a Viking funeral (where you burn her) but I feel like that would be really sad and I also had some stuff I wanted to bury with her (like her blanket and her favorite toy). The other option was cremating her but I don't have the money for that.
I'm leaning towards burying her but I would feel bad leaving her. Am I making to big a deal of that?
Again if you guys don't feel comfortable answering that's completely fine.

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
Please get rid of the coil UVB they are inadequate --- they cause all kinds of health issues --- please get a long tube fixture like a 24" Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb -- these are far better than the coil - surface basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- if you want me to post links I can - if you have a Pet Smart you can check there for the Pro T 5 --- I would get this replaced as soon as you can - when you get the new UVB please post back on here and I will help you place it for your tank -- the screen will determine where the UVB goes --
what kinda probe thermometer do you use? Just trynna find a good one

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
we have a fire pit in our back yard and several years ago when my daughter's 6-year old parakeet died, we had a huge funeral pyre and sent her off wrapped in my daughter's blanket with a bundle of lavender. it was kind of a mix between a viking send off and cremation. is there a way you could do something like that where you are? granted it would be sad like you mentioned, but then again, anything you do will be sad. i don't think you're making a big deal out of things at all. you're talking about a beloved family member after all. my condolences to you. ❤️

Hoku

Original Poster
we have a fire pit in our back yard and several years ago when my daughter's 6-year old parakeet died, we had a huge funeral pyre and sent her off wrapped in my daughter's blanket with a bundle of lavender. it was kind of a mix between a viking send off and cremation. is there a way you could do something like that where you are? granted it would be sad like you mentioned, but then again, anything you do will be sad. i don't think you're making a big deal out of things at all. you're talking about a beloved family member after all. my condolences to you. ❤️
Thanks. I think I'm going to do that. I like the idea of doing it with a blanket and lavender. I could use a blanket she's had since I got her. Also if you don't mind me asking, what did you do with the ashes afterwards?

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
Thanks. I think I'm going to do that. I like the idea of doing it with a blanket and lavender. I could use a blanket she's had since I got her. Also if you don't mind me asking, what did you do with the ashes afterwards?
we really didn't do anything with her ashes. it was one huge bonfire! no way to separate them. we just know she is there in our favorite spot in the yard. it's right on the riverbank so when the yard flooded in the winter time from the rain, she was washed away, and is now with our parts of the ashes of my grandmother and a friend of ours, along with my dog that were spread there. we have a memorial spot on the riverbank where we will sit and remember. it's super beautiful, especially at sunset.

Hoku

Original Poster
we really didn't do anything with her ashes. it was one huge bonfire! no way to separate them. we just know she is there in our favorite spot in the yard. it's right on the riverbank so when the yard flooded in the winter time from the rain, she was washed away, and is now with our parts of the ashes of my grandmother and a friend of ours, along with my dog that were spread there. we have a memorial spot on the riverbank where we will sit and remember. it's super beautiful, especially at sunset.
That's nice. My family had an amazing house that we lived in for 14 years (since I was 2!) I really wish I could go and bury her with the other pets we lost but obviously it's too late. Thanks for the help I'm pretty sure that's what we are gonna do now.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
That's nice. My family had an amazing house that we lived in for 14 years (since I was 2!) I really wish I could go and bury her with the other pets we lost but obviously it's too late. Thanks for the help I'm pretty sure that's what we are gonna do now.
you're welcome. hopefully i could help a little. again, my condolences.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
This is becoming more common.
That's how my bb beardie went.
I'm hoping she's still at the rescue being taken care of. I like to be optimistic.

Honestly, make sure your house is insulated, & heated.
I had that problem with my house.

Then, I'd move to husbandry of the actual reptile tank.

Got mad at the rents...Well
My bad.

Check your house for leaks, moisture.
That's what happened to my BD
She had a messed up throat infection...

I blamed other people when it was sort of my fault for not asking the house to be insulated...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

We have all been through the same or similar circumstances, so we all completely understand
the sorrow.:cry: I know that is probably one of the hardest things you will ever have to go through.
I hope eventually, you are able to find peace.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom