Help bearded dragon gasping and gapping

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I can't remember how much help the vet was or not. What was the treatment and if you think it wasn't effective can you try another vet ?

Hoku

Original Poster
Poor girl, still not feeling well. Can you post a couple of full body pictures to show her condition ? And BTW, Pedialyte baths won't help at all unless a dragon drinks it. In her condition it's best to limit the baths, that can cause a chill or general discomfort.

I can't remember how much help the vet was or not. What was the treatment and if you think it wasn't effective can you try another vet ?
The vet was helpful. My family trusts her a lot she works at the same clinic that we take my epileptic dog to. I clinic works with dogs, cats, and exotics. She is the one who said it was a teeth problem and gave me antibiotics. Bug was actually doing great for about a month before she when downhill again. I think the treatment was effective but she stopped eating after she ate a mealworm(which is probably on me). My main concern is that she just not getting any better.
I decided to start giving her the gel medication because its the only thing I have left before turning to the vet again. I'm trying to force feed baby food but i think its too sugary which obviously won't help. Is there anything else that is better for her?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The vet was helpful. My family trusts her a lot she works at the same clinic that we take my epileptic dog to. I clinic works with dogs, cats, and exotics. She is the one who said it was a teeth problem and gave me antibiotics. Bug was actually doing great for about a month before she when downhill again. I think the treatment was effective but she stopped eating after she ate a mealworm(which is probably on me). My main concern is that she just not getting any better.
I decided to start giving her the gel medication because its the only thing I have left before turning to the vet again. I'm trying to force feed baby food but i think its too sugary which obviously won't help. Is there anything else that is better for her?
Oxbow Herbivore / Omnivore -- its really good stuff -- the vet may have it they usually do or you can order it on line --- it is very thick so you will need to water it down and if she licks it off the spoon that is great if not syringe feed but you will haft to snip the end of the syringe off so its wider and the stuff can come out --

Hoku

Original Poster
Oxbow Herbivore / Omnivore -- its really good stuff -- the vet may have it they usually do or you can order it on line --- it is very thick so you will need to water it down and if she licks it off the spoon that is great if not syringe feed but you will haft to snip the end of the syringe off so its wider and the stuff can come out --
ok thanks ill see if i can get it. My only issue is she is a very picky eater especially now (and by picky eater i mean it takes about 15 minutes to get her to eat maybe a fourth of a syringe)
Do you think this stuff and the teeth gel will be enough to help her or should I take her to the vet?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
ok thanks ill see if i can get it. My only issue is she is a very picky eater especially now (and by picky eater i mean it takes about 15 minutes to get her to eat maybe a fourth of a syringe)
Do you think this stuff and the teeth gel will be enough to help her or should I take her to the vet?
Please post a pic of the mouth --- we can have some others on here take a look --- then advise can be given - your vet is it a reptile vet? If not I can post a website to find one in your area if you need it

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What type of baby food were you giving? As suggested, the herbivore care or critical care would be
helpful for added nutrition. Some of them really like it & others don't. I always suggest adding in some
squash or sweet potato to make it taste a little better.
Has her beard been normal color or has she been black bearding any?

I hope she gets to feeling better soon & you don't have to take her back into the vets.

Tracie

Hoku

Original Poster
Hello,

What type of baby food were you giving? As suggested, the herbivore care or critical care would be
helpful for added nutrition. Some of them really like it & others don't. I always suggest adding in some
squash or sweet potato to make it taste a little better.
Has her beard been normal color or has she been black bearding any?

I hope she gets to feeling better soon & you don't have to take her back into the vets.

Tracie
OK i'm more worried cause shes had some bubbles in her mouth and is very agitated right now. Her colors have been changing. Sometimes she pretty dark and other times shes very light. I will wait on the vet for now because I'm giving her another round of teeth meds. If that doesn't work I will take her back. (I'm really hoping I won't have to because I literally have $3 to my name but I definetly will if I need to)
I've been giving her squash baby food the vet gave me the critical care powder last time I went, but she hates it. However, I've decided to give it another try since I'm force feeding her anyways.
Also are the bubble a big cause for concern or should I just see if they go away?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

When do the "bubbles" happen, right after you feed her, or are they present all of the time?
Be sure to feed her slowly so she doesn't choke or aspirate on her food.
Are you keeping her warm overnight too for help with boosting her immune system right now?
I hope she is feeling better, I realize it is stressful when they aren't doing well.
Her beard doesn't stay dark or turn black, does it?

Tracie

Hoku

Original Poster
Hello,

When do the "bubbles" happen, right after you feed her, or are they present all of the time?
Be sure to feed her slowly so she doesn't choke or aspirate on her food.
Are you keeping her warm overnight too for help with boosting her immune system right now?
I hope she is feeling better, I realize it is stressful when they aren't doing well.
Her beard doesn't stay dark or turn black, does it?

Tracie
The bubbles arent coming out of her mouth but they are there when she opens her mouth. I haven't been able to feed her because she gets upset when i even come near her mouth. Unfortunately, I've decided to take her to the vet again not only cause shes not eating but also her lips are pretty swollen. I think it's the best thing to do because I've already been trying to help her at home for months and nothings working. Thanks for all your help. I will definetly update soon.

Hoku

Original Poster
Okay...
SO I went to the vet and turns out it wasn't a teeth issue at all! It's worse...
She's got eggs in her. Which is why she was eating alot and then just stopped. Problem is I didn't know and she had nowhere she felt "comfortable" to lay her eggs. To make matters worse, the eggs are irregularly shaped and look infected with fluid around them. AND because they are infected she isn't feeling well which is making it impossible to feed her.
So the plan is now to try and tube feed her (the vet showed me how but I'm still trying to find the courage to do it myself) and I'm also giving her antibiotics which will HOPEFULLY fight the infection going on in the eggs.
While she building back up, I have to put a nesting box in her cage to try and get her to lay the eggs on her own (if anyone has any tips on that I would appreciate it)
The vet says she has and 50% chance of laying them on her own if she cant, she will have to go into surgery which sadly I can't do to her.
So yeah... right now I'm pretty freaked out considering the fact that she literally has a 50% if not lower chance of making it. again, if ANYONE has ANY tips on how to get her to safely lay the eggs it would be extremely helpful.

Crossing my fingers for a full recovery.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh wow, that may be a problem but many beardies lay eggs without a laybox but others will hold out until they get one. I've had a lot of experience with this, my females all laid multiple clutches and none of them had any trouble. Rather than me explain how to make a larger laybox I'll link a Youtube video.

I'll explain how to make a smaller one later.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
To make a smaller one you can use a plastic storage container that's about 20-24 " long, 12 "wide and 7-8" high. Get some children's play sand and a bag of plain topsoil to mix with about 2 cups of warm water to get the proper consistency. The container comes with a lid, you can cut one corner out of the lid as the entrance to the laybox. Fill the box about 3/4 and put your girl in there. She may or may not start digging right away, she will decide when the time is.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that had to of been shocking to find that out! That would do it, she is having trouble with
eggs. I assume that they are infertile?
If she is ready to lay & they confirmed placement, there is a hormone called oxytocin, which helps
with labor difficulties, etc. As AHBD suggested, making a laybox should help also. I hope that she
is able to get them laid!

Tracie

Hoku

Original Poster
ok so Ive been tube feeding her and ive got the sand but I've got some questions about the laybox. Should i get one small enough to fit in her tank or can use a bin. And if use a bin, do I just put her in there for like an hour at a time. Cause I saw a couple websites that said that but I dont know if that applies to a sick bearded dragon too. I want to get the lay box ready as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Hoku

Original Poster
Hello,

Wow, that had to of been shocking to find that out! That would do it, she is having trouble with
eggs. I assume that they are infertile?
If she is ready to lay & they confirmed placement, there is a hormone called oxytocin, which helps
with labor difficulties, etc. As AHBD suggested, making a laybox should help also. I hope that she
is able to get them laid!

Tracie
thanks, i hope she is able to lay them by herself soon as well!
they are infertile and the vet also thinks they are infected with almost no shelling. She gave my antibiotics that have a chance of helping the infection. I want her to lay the eggs of course but will it be dangerous considering her current state. I read that after they lay the eggs normal bearded dragon become malnourished so do you think that if she lays them now something bad could happen?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom