Help bearded dragon gasping and gapping

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have already taken her to the vet and they said it's plague or tar build up. She already gave me antibiotics (which i finished awhile ago). I more wondering if you think i can keep giving him the medication or is there something else.
Post a pic of the mouth please -- I am thinking it might be the incorrect UVB fixture ---- they wont eat unless this is correct ---

Hoku

Original Poster
Post a pic of the mouth please -- I am thinking it might be the incorrect UVB fixture ---- they wont eat unless this is correct ---
I've tried to get a picture she wont let my but i will try again. I didn't know the fixture mattered just the bulb! I'm very tight on money do you have any suggestions. By the way the UVB is the bar

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I've tried to get a picture she wont let my but i will try again. I didn't know the fixture mattered just the bulb! I'm very tight on money do you have any suggestions. By the way the UVB is the bar
What is the brand of the UVB fixture --- where did you get it? Does it have a reflector in it? You want a fixture w/ a reflector--- its a shiny silver piece behind the bulb -- looks like tin foil

Hoku

Original Poster
What is the brand of the UVB fixture --- where did you get it? Does it have a reflector in it? You want a fixture w/ a reflector--- its a shiny silver piece behind the bulb -- looks like tin foil
I don't know the brand. I got the fixture a very long time ago and have only been replacing the bulb. I will check about the reflector but do you have any ideas for her teeth?

Hoku

Original Poster
Just a small side note. I if I've given the impression that I haven't been caring for her or that I've done no researched about her problems I'm sorry.
I promise I'm didn't impulse buy her or anything. (I actually researched about how to care for bearded dragons for about a year before I got her)
But I was going back and reading all of my questions and i realized there's so much I just never knew. I was online for hours trying to find different ways to help her before I finally came across this website. You guys know so much and I honestly feel so uneducated. I didn't even think about her teeth until the vet told me. Or that the light fixtures had to be in a specific place.
I realize this was kinda random. I just don't want everyone to think I'm a terrible pet owner.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Just a small side note. I if I've given the impression that I haven't been caring for her or that I've done no researched about her problems I'm sorry.
I promise I'm didn't impulse buy her or anything. (I actually researched about how to care for bearded dragons for about a year before I got her)
But I was going back and reading all of my questions and i realized there's so much I just never knew. I was online for hours trying to find different ways to help her before I finally came across this website. You guys know so much and I honestly feel so uneducated. I didn't even think about her teeth until the vet told me. Or that the light fixtures had to be in a specific place.
I realize this was kinda random. I just don't want everyone to think I'm a terrible pet owner.
Your not --- most that come here are looking to get help or have questions regarding as to what they have read on the internet and there is so much conflicting info --- but the people that sell the dragons at pet stores DO NOT have a clue as to how to take care of them -- even some that have dragons of their own --- so dont feel bad --- its good you came here and asked

Hoku

Original Poster
Your not --- most that come here are looking to get help or have questions regarding as to what they have read on the internet and there is so much conflicting info --- but the people that sell the dragons at pet stores DO NOT have a clue as to how to take care of them -- even some that have dragons of their own --- so dont feel bad --- its good you came here and asked
Thanks for helping. BTW my bearded dragon has been eating more baby food however i believe her teeth or gums are still sore. Any ideas as to what i can do? Should i keep giving her medication or is there something better?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I don't know the brand. I got the fixture a very long time ago and have only been replacing the bulb. I will check about the reflector but do you have any ideas for her teeth?
Please post a pic of the mouth and teeth please

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your dragon is still having some trouble!
There is no need to apologize, there is so much misinformation on the care of reptiles. You are doing
the best you can & we'll help as much as possible for you.
As Karrie was requesting, the brand of your tube UVB is very important because not all brands are created
equal!
She wont eat anything on her own then right now?

Tracie

Hoku

Original Poster
Hello,

Sorry your dragon is still having some trouble!
There is no need to apologize, there is so much misinformation on the care of reptiles. You are doing
the best you can & we'll help as much as possible for you.
As Karrie was requesting, the brand of your tube UVB is very important because not all brands are created equal!
She wont eat anything on her own then right now?

Tracie
the UVB brand is Reptisun. she will not eat anything at all. I've been trying to force feed her but she gets very upset because i think she has a mouth infection. Yesterday i decided to give her a bath to hydrate her and maybe she could wash her mouth out but she didn't do anything in the water I actually had to hold her head up because she wouldn't lift it herself. That night i came home and she had bubble in her mouth again. Her condition is getting worse and worse and i don't know what to do.

Hoku

Original Poster
I've been trying to force feed her but she gets very upset because i think she has a mouth infection. Yesterday i decided to give her a bath to hydrate her and maybe she could wash her mouth out but she didn't do anything in the water I actually had to hold her head up because she wouldn't lift it herself. That night i came home and she had bubble in her mouth again. Her condition is getting worse and worse and i don't know what to do.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor girl, still not feeling well. Can you post a couple of full body pictures to show her condition ? And BTW, Pedialyte baths won't help at all unless a dragon drinks it. In her condition it's best to limit the baths, that can cause a chill or general discomfort.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
the UVB brand is Reptisun. she will not eat anything at all. I've been trying to force feed her but she gets very upset because i think she has a mouth infection. Yesterday i decided to give her a bath to hydrate her and maybe she could wash her mouth out but she didn't do anything in the water I actually had to hold her head up because she wouldn't lift it herself. That night i came home and she had bubble in her mouth again. Her condition is getting worse and worse and i don't know what to do.
Your uvb is a coil or long tube fixture-- ? This is important for her health - I would recommend getting a ceramic heat emitter run it over night keeping temps around 80 this will help w/ her immune system - here is a website to find a reptile vet--
www.arav.org if your in a small town or area type in a bigger cities zip code

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your uvb is a coil or long tube fixture-- ? This is important for her health - I would recommend getting a ceramic heat emitter run it over night keeping temps around 80 this will help w/ her immune system - here is a website to find a reptile vet--
www.arav.org if your in a small town or area type in a bigger cities zip code
It's a long tube Karrie, Hoku posted pics of it.

Hoku

Original Poster
What do you guys think the best course of action would be. Should I wait it out. Or should I take her to the vet again.
I have that gel for her teeth but i've already used it twice since her last vet appointment (July) (I used it once in July for 2 weeks, and once in September for 2 weeks)

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom