Help bearded dragon gasping and gapping

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
i have gotten her a new UBV. I took off the plastic wrap once i bought it already. It's Reptisun, 20", 10.0, and I'm pretty sure it's a T8.
Look on the bulb itself or box it will say T 5 or a T 8---------- I posted the distance it above---- should be w/ NO obstruction

clyde612

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Just wanted to add that baths will not hydrate her on their own! I saw you were posting about using baths are hydration but they only get hydrated if they drink the bath water, they don’t drink through their skin (it’s a myth). Hornworms are a great treat that all beardies LOVE and although it is NOT a staple food it is a good way to easily get some hydration because they are mostly water. Plus they are soft. I’m not sure about her gums but if they are doing better hornworms should be fine. You can order them online (dubiaroches.com or reptilian art) or some reptile stores sell them.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Could you please call your vet and request a copy of her x-ray as well? AHBD or Tracie will be able to know more about her being potentially gravid or overall bone health if you can post it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I'm glad to hear she is taking in some food so she gets some nutrition. I hope she is feeling better.
The Reptisun 10 long tube is a nice bulb. It should say T5 or T8 on the base of the bulb or on one
of the ends of the tube.
That is a great sign she is still active! Please keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Hoku

Original Poster
She has stopped eating almost completely now. I still try to give her baby food but she keeps resisting. She is active though, which i find kinda weird. The only thing i can think of now is giving her a bath with pedialyte.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She has stopped eating almost completely now. I still try to give her baby food but she keeps resisting. She is active though, which i find kinda weird. The only thing i can think of now is giving her a bath with pedialyte.
Where is the UVB and what bulb are you using? They have different placement and distance for those bulbs -- this could be a good reason she is not eating now

Hoku

Original Poster
Hello, ive been more worried recently. Her fat pads are still gone I dont know if her appetite has improved because she wont eat in front of me. Ive tried baby food but she fights me the whole time. I moved her uvb light to the back (far side) of her tank where her basking spot is cause i heard thats better for them but i dont know if its helping. I believe she has plugged femoral pores so ive also been giving her baths to try and fix that.

Her behavior is pretty strange. Shes not in pain or anything but she sits under her heat lamp ALL DAY. Ive been check and she isnt cold neither is her enclosure but she insists on being up there 24-7. Is that a problem or am i just paranoid?

So sorry for the long response. Shes always been kinda problematic but the last couple months have been more stressful. If you have any options or suggestions I'm open to anything

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hello, ive been more worried recently. Her fat pads are still gone I dont know if her appetite has improved because she wont eat in front of me. Ive tried baby food but she fights me the whole time. I moved her uvb light to the back (far side) of her tank where her basking spot is cause i heard thats better for them but i dont know if its helping. I believe she has plugged femoral pores so ive also been giving her baths to try and fix that.

Her behavior is pretty strange. Shes not in pain or anything but she sits under her heat lamp ALL DAY. Ive been check and she isnt cold neither is her enclosure but she insists on being up there 24-7. Is that a problem or am i just paranoid?

So sorry for the long response. Shes always been kinda problematic but the last couple months have been more stressful. If you have any options or suggestions I'm open to anything
I need info on the UVB bulb please ---- please post a pic of the tank ----- specifically the lighting --- surface basking temps and UVB are crucial to your dragon eating - she wont eat if this incorrect --- post a pic of the dragons femoral pores

Hoku

Original Poster
I need info on the UVB bulb please ---- please post a pic of the tank ----- specifically the lighting --- surface basking temps and UVB are crucial to your dragon eating - she wont eat if this incorrect --- post a pic of the dragons femoral pores

what info would you like me to send you?
her basking temp is 97-96 and the highest basking point (part that's closest to the lights) is about 6 inches away.
The pictures I have may be pretty confusing.
The first is a picture of her basking ramp.
The second is a top view of her lighting.
The black bar is her uvb light and the other fixture (the 2 circles of oval) on the left is the heat lamp.
The heat lamp fixture has 2 bulb holders (1 for heat and 1 for UVB) but I'm ONLY using 1 heat bulb the other is empty.
Sorry if it sounds confusing! If you need better pictures i can try to take new ones.
I will try to send picture of her femoral pores later but i'm having a hard time getting her to sit still!

Attachments

• 20221018_130348.jpg
    20221018_130348.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20221018_130237.jpg
    20221018_130237.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 56

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
what info would you like me to send you?
her basking temp is 97-96 and the highest basking point (part that's closest to the lights) is about 6 inches away.
The pictures I have may be pretty confusing.
The first is a picture of her basking ramp.
The second is a top view of her lighting.
The black bar is her uvb light and the other fixture (the 2 circles of oval) on the left is the heat lamp.
The heat lamp fixture has 2 bulb holders (1 for heat and 1 for UVB) but I'm ONLY using 1 heat bulb the other is empty.
Sorry if it sounds confusing! If you need better pictures i can try to take new ones.
I will try to send picture of her femoral pores later but i'm having a hard time getting her to sit still!
Are you getting the basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer? Pics are fine -- I would however get a better piece of basking decor for her --- she needs some thing better than the ramp- check out Pet Smart for decor - they have nice pieces for basking for dragons- what else is in the tank for her --- hides? platforms/ rocks to sit on? You have a T 5 for a UVB ? It looks like a Arcadia Pro T 5? If that is the case please get some more decor directly under it approx 12-15 inches -- have some one hold her up so you can get a pic of the vent

Hoku

Original Poster
another thing, is her teeth. I've been giving her teeth gel (its called maxi guard oral cleansing gel)and it works but the bottle says to use it for 2 weeks and after the 2 weeks her teeth start getting worse again and I think it hurts to eat. Does anyone have any suggestions.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
another thing, is her teeth. I've been giving her teeth gel (its called maxi guard oral cleansing gel)and it works but the bottle says to use it for 2 weeks and after the 2 weeks her teeth start getting worse again and I think it hurts to eat. Does anyone have any suggestions.
Its possible she has an infection in the mouth -- I would get her into the vet so they can look and get blood work to see if there is an infection going on --- www.arav.org if your in a small town please type in a bigger cities zip code closest to you ---- please get your tank temps adjusted and correct along w / some decor for her ---- these things I have posted are crucial to her ---

Hoku

Original Poster
Are you getting the basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer? Pics are fine -- I would however get a better piece of basking decor for her --- she needs some thing better than the ramp- check out Pet Smart for decor - they have nice pieces for basking for dragons- what else is in the tank for her --- hides? platforms/ rocks to sit on? You have a T 5 for a UVB ? It looks like a Arcadia Pro T 5? If that is the case please get some more decor directly under it approx 12-15 inches -- have some one hold her up so you can get a pic of the vent
i am taking temperature with a digital probe thermometer. I'm planning to get her better decor. do you mean the ramp should be 12-15 inches below the light or 12-15 inches wide?
I have a generic light fixture but the actual light is a Reptisun, 20", 10.0, and I'm pretty sure it's a T8.
I got the best picture i could of his femoral pores. They have actually gotten alot better since i started giving her bathes but there are 1 or 2 you can see pretty clearly on the right side above the vent.

Hoku

Original Poster
Its possible she has an infection in the mouth -- I would get her into the vet so they can look and get blood work to see if there is an infection going on --- www.arav.org if your in a small town please type in a bigger cities zip code closest to you ---- please get your tank temps adjusted and correct along w / some decor for her ---- these things I have posted are crucial to her ---
I have already taken her to the vet and they said it's plague or tar build up. She already gave me antibiotics (which i finished awhile ago). I more wondering if you think i can keep giving him the medication or is there something else.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
i am taking temperature with a digital probe thermometer. I'm planning to get her better decor. do you mean the ramp should be 12-15 inches below the light or 12-15 inches wide?
I have a generic light fixture but the actual light is a Reptisun, 20", 10.0, and I'm pretty sure it's a T8.
I got the best picture i could of his femoral pores. They have actually gotten alot better since i started giving her bathes but there are 1 or 2 you can see pretty clearly on the right side above the vent.
Pic did not post --- get some coconut oil and put on the pores to get them softened up once they are soft you can gently squeeze them out - the light fixture is generic does it have a reflector in it? If not please invest in one ---- they make a big difference in the UV rays --- if its a T 8 it should not be over 6 months old and it needs to be 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor --- I would get a whole new fixture --- a 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb or a 24" Zoo Med w/ a 22" Reptisun 10.0 bulb --- Pet Smart has started carrying the Arcadias - if you need more help please ask

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom