Help bearded dragon gasping and gapping

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
right know she will not eat on her own. Is there a way to hydrate her other than a bath? Cause i tried last week and she... was not happy.
You can try adding a little bit of non-citrus fruit juice to the water and that might entice her to drink it. Otherwise, as Karrie mentioned making sure the slurry is a little more watery and dripping water on her nose.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, try to upgrade your tube bulb, when you can. The Zilla tube bulb is ok, but, not real strong
compared to either the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12% tube bulbs.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

Hoku

Original Poster
Im having trouble finding a light to fit the hood i have (I can't afford to buy a new hood).

She isn't coughing or anything and her teeth are looking alot better however her fat pads are still depleted and she refuses to eat anything.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Im having trouble finding a light to fit the hood i have (I can't afford to buy a new hood).

She isn't coughing or anything and her teeth are looking alot better however her fat pads are still depleted and she refuses to eat anything.
How long is the hood?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing tonight?
You can definitely use the hood that you have now & just match the length of the tube to your
hood so you don't have to purchase a new hood for the light.
Has she eaten anything today? Since her fat pads are sunken, you will need to try & get some
nutrition into her somehow. Do you have baby foods at home you can feed to her?

Tracie

Hoku

Original Poster
Hey everybody, sorry its been a little while since my last update. Thank you so much for your helpful advice, for tolerating my endless questions, and for genuinely caring about my bearded dragon

Hoku

Original Poster
as for bug, she was doing pretty well (eating and running around) however lately she has completely lost her appetite! She only want to sunbath all day. I checked her temperature, and she is about 90-93 degrees. She is able to move when she wants to and seems happy but her fat pads are extremely low. I also just gave her a bath to hydrate her but i think i saw a little bit of red when she pooped in the water. All her other poops have been fine though. Does anyone have suggestions or reasons as to why she is sunbathing all day
Thanks

Hoku

Original Poster
Ok, so I have started hand feeding her baby food (again). She seems like she wants to eat which is good and i think i found out why she has stopped eating. She's got more tar buildup on her teeth! I think that when she started eating mealworms the chewing may have angered her gums maybe i didn't wait long enough after her mouth healed to give her crunchy foods again.
so now i'm hand feeding and giveing her the teeth meds again.
Hopefully i'll be able to give you guys good news in the future lol.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok, so I have started hand feeding her baby food (again). She seems like she wants to eat which is good and i think i found out why she has stopped eating. She's got more tar buildup on her teeth! I think that when she started eating mealworms the chewing may have angered her gums maybe i didn't wait long enough after her mouth healed to give her crunchy foods again.
so now i'm hand feeding and giveing her the teeth meds again.
Hopefully i'll be able to give you guys good news in the future lol.
Please no more meal worms --- have you tried some maxi guard on the gums / teeth? The UVB is extremely important for her to eat ----- look on the tube that you have now and tell me what it is T 5 or a T 8 --- I am thinking its a T 8 if that is the case pet smart should carry that tube ---- please take the clear plastic cover off the fixture if there is one --- it needs to be inside the tank directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches if that is a T 8 ----

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So were you able to get a better tube bulb now?
The insects you can feed are small superworms, small silkworms, calcuim/phoenix worms, small
crickets or small dubias. Mealworms are ok but not on a regular basis. They tend to have a harder
outer shell compared to other insects.
Is she still eating some baby food now, daily or just a few days per week?

Tracie

Hoku

Original Poster
Hello,

So were you able to get a better tube bulb now?
The insects you can feed are small superworms, small silkworms, calcuim/phoenix worms, small
crickets or small dubias. Mealworms are ok but not on a regular basis. They tend to have a harder
outer shell compared to other insects.
Is she still eating some baby food now, daily or just a few days per week?

Tracie
i did get a better UVB a little while ago and since then she has been more active and was eating more (until i gave her mealworms). She is now being hand fed baby food a couple times a day because she's only eating a little bit every feeding. I'm also giving her teeth meds. She has been more active the last couple days (probably cause she's got food in her).

Hoku

Original Poster
Please no more meal worms --- have you tried some maxi guard on the gums / teeth? The UVB is extremely important for her to eat ----- look on the tube that you have now and tell me what it is T 5 or a T 8 --- I am thinking its a T 8 if that is the case pet smart should carry that tube ---- please take the clear plastic cover off the fixture if there is one --- it needs to be inside the tank directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches if that is a T 8 ----
i have gotten her a new UBV. I took off the plastic wrap once i bought it already. It's Reptisun, 20", 10.0, and I'm pretty sure it's a T8.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom