HELP BABY BEARDED DRAGON NOT EATING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nina018

I got my first baby bearded dragon about 2-3 weeks ago.He/she is 1 month old and was eating fine when we got him.
A week ago he just stopped eating,started moving slower and stopped pooping.He wasn't eating for 5 days so we decided to force feed him.It worked,he pooped,started being active again but still won't eat untill we force feed him.
I don't know what to do,when i put the dubias(smaller than 1cm) in he just looks at them.We tried worms but the same happend.
He is in a 100*50*50cm wooden tank with a 10% 18w dessert uvb and a basking bulb 50w.The humidity is usually 30%.
We bathe him once every five days and he drinks water.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So your dragon is in a 60 gallon tank? Where is the UVB ? It has to be inside the tank for a T 8 NO plastic cover over the bulb and directly over the basking decor piece 6-8 inches and the fixture must have a reflector on it -- I recommend you upgrade the T 8 to a T 5 - your going to need to upgrade the fixture to a 24" Zoo Med Sunblaster or Arcadia w/ a Reptsiun 10.0 T 5 bulb or a Arcadia 12% bulb --- basking temps need to be 105-110 degrees taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons - NO colored bulbs No heat mats or heat rocks -- your dragon will go thru relocation stress but for him to stop eating all together is not good --- the lighting and temps in that tank must be spot on or he will not eat this is extremely important!!!!

Nina018

Original Poster
We don't have heat rocks or mats.He usually is in the cold side of the tank (in the corner) so the breeder said he must be overheated.The temp is 35°C on the hot side (trix digital thermometer).The uvb lamp is inside his tank 7inch from his basking area.The breeder said he doesn't know ehy the little guy is not eating (we got the terarrium and the lamps/bulbs from him)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The 95 is not hot enough --- babies like it warmer so this is telling me there is something going on w/ the bulb --- is the bulb a bright white basking bulb or a off white or yellowish color? Babies spend most of their time basking -- w/ him not basking that is not good -- please post a pic of him and the tank
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post

Nina018

Original Poster
We had a ramp like tree branch going up to the basking bulb but the breeder said to take it out.He said the beardie is too young to hunt the bugs so he might not eat them if they go under the branch.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Incorrect w/ the feeding --- they love to hunt------------------- please get the UVB off the back wall and I cannot tell if that fixture has a reflector on it -- if not please get a reflector or some tin foil and put behind that bulb IMMEDIATLEY shiny side out- you want those rays directed downward toward him as of this point hes so far away from it its not doing any good ---- your dragon is not eating because hes not getting enough UVB and basking temps are in correct ---I need to know what bulb your using is it a T 8 or T 5 ? Look on the bulb for the brand and the bulb please --- this is extremely important and from the pic on the rock he doesnt look so good --- the one behind the plant is adorable -- you have a nice big tank but he needs more climbing decor pieces ---- take the probe place it on the rock and get the temp--- you want it 105-110- but make sure that rock does not get too hot some of them heat really hot because of what they are made out of ----------- this is a great piece of radient heat it will give him options of where he wants to bask for temps https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 please get him more decor pieces and when I find out what bulb your using for the UVB I will tell you the distance for placement and if you need help getting it hung but do this ASAP - your dragon is not going to eat w/ out these things corrected

Nina018

Original Poster
111822-6707513383.jpg
111822-5751310722.jpg
These are the lamps that i am using.Uvb is a t8.We didn't know about the reflector,we will install one asap. We weren't home yesterday and when we came back his belly was full of black lines! We got scared he was dying but after taking him out of the tank and just holding him they went away. Is that normal?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Great bulb but not strong enough for the size of the tank -- I would recommend upgrading to a Arcadia 12% bulb which your going to need a different fixture --
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html out of stock w/ the bulb it comes w/ but you can order it separate -
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-12-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb.html
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjA0In0=
Please do this ASAP --- in the meantime get the fixture directly above him 6-8 inches --- get a piece of decor so he can sit directly under it w/ that distance for now --- when you upgrade to the T 5 the distance would need to be 12-15 inches directly above him --- once all these things have been corrected including the basking temps he should start eating even w/ the T 8 being corrected you should notice a difference in him ---

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
As far as stress marks it could be from the incorrect lighting--- they will have stress marks from being relocated but you want all the basking temps and the UVB correct --- hes telling you something is off but yes stress marks are common ---- so to rule out just relocation stress you want those temps and UVB correct ---- the you can chalk them up to being just relocation issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom