• January Photo Competition!
    Gather the best photos of your bearded dragons... the theme for this month is "Goofball beardies!" For details check out the January Photo Compeitition thread.

Help! Accidentally put contact solution in beardie's eye

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
My bearded dragon has eggs so we have been putting her in her lay box lately. She got some sand in her eye today and didn't want to open it so we were trying to flush it out with water. I told my husband that he could try using saline solution and I guess he misunderstood because he used contact solution! I feel so horrible because now I'm reading everywhere that you're not supposed to do that. Anyways, as soon as I realized he had used contact solution a few mins later, I tried putting more water on her eyes. I went to two different stores (it's night time so not a lot is open) but none of them sold sterile saline. I ordered some tonight but it won't come for another two days so tomorrow I will go to more stores to try to find some.

She has opened her eyes since, but Idk if I should be concerned about the contact solution. She still seems to prefer opening her other eye. When she does open the eye that got the contact solution, it looks normal. I'm hoping she's just not opening it because we've been pouring water on it so much tonight. Does anyone have any advice? I'm so sorry for what we did!

Thank you!
 

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moderator
I wouldn't worry about it. Contact solution can go in your eyes. It's not the prefered "liquid" but it won't cause any harm.

-Brandon
 

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":2v2ay9rd said:
I wouldn't worry about it. Contact solution can go in your eyes. It's not the prefered "liquid" but it won't cause any harm.

-Brandon

Thank you! I feel so guilty.. I hope her eye is okay in the morning. I just wasn't sure how serious it was if a beardie got contact solution in their eye since I see people warning against it. I'm still gonna try to find that saline solution tomorrow if I can.
 

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Do you know what I should do if she keeps getting sand in her eyes? Her eye seemed better this morning so we put her back in the lay box again. Well she got sand in the same eye again and now she is keeping it mostly closed and trying to rub her face against her enclosure. I just don't know what to do. I don't want her to keep getting sand in her eyes but at the same time she needs to lay these eggs..

I couldn't find sterile saline anywhere but I have some arriving tomorrow. I also bought a product on Amazon called Fluker's Repta Rinse Reptile Eye Rinse. Do you know if this could help?

She has never had a problem of getting sand in her eyes before the many times she's laid eggs so I just don't know why this is happening or what to do.
 

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moderator
Maybe a bit of mucous has made the eye stickier than usual. The sand should work its way out eventually but using the plain saline should help to flush it. The flukers eye rinse is probably OK but not really necessary (saline is cheap and effective).
 

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2fmdxvw3 said:
Maybe a bit of mucous has made the eye stickier than usual. The sand should work its way out eventually but using the plain saline should help to flush it. The flukers eye rinse is probably OK but not really necessary (saline is cheap and effective).

Yes, that may be it. Especially since it only seems to be her right eye getting sand in it. Would saline help to clean eye mucus out in general? I feel so bad, she still has a line of sand mixed with mucus on her lower eye lid. We were able to get a lot out but I hope the rest can come out on its own. The saline arrives tomorrow.
 

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moderator
Yeah it should help rinse it out. If the mucous is caused by debris in the eye then it should eventually clear up with regular rinses. If the eye continues to catch sand and if you see an increase in mucous buildup you may want to have a vet check it out and perhaps prescribe some medicated eye drops if deemed necessary. I'd try the saline for a while though and see how that goes.
 

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1i34p3ft said:
Yeah it should help rinse it out. If the mucous is caused by debris in the eye then it should eventually clear up with regular rinses. If the eye continues to catch sand and if you see an increase in mucous buildup you may want to have a vet check it out and perhaps prescribe some medicated eye drops if deemed necessary. I'd try the saline for a while though and see how that goes.

Thank you so much! I have a vet appointment set up on Sunday just in case :)
 
Top Bottom