Help about parasites

Bandit0

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bandit
My bearded dragon MIGHT have parasites. I’ve been eyeing Panacur to treat it, but I’m not even sure if he definitely does, and Panacur might not be the best solution because it could be a different kind of parasite. He has a great appetite and super active in and outside his tank. He appears to be healthy. Bearded dragon isn’t an adult, small juvi. Is there anything I can do to see if he for sure has parasites and what I can do to treat it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My bearded dragon MIGHT have parasites. I’ve been eyeing Panacur to treat it, but I’m not even sure if he definitely does, and Panacur might not be the best solution because it could be a different kind of parasite. He has a great appetite and super active in and outside his tank. He appears to be healthy. Bearded dragon isn’t an adult, small juvi. Is there anything I can do to see if he for sure has parasites and what I can do to treat it?
Please take a fecal in to the vets office --- you can call them ask if you can drop a fecal off for testing- -- NO enemas if you take him in --- they often and can end in disaster --- make sure your surface basking temps are up to par like 95-100 for a juvie and your UVB this is critical -- NO coils please -- you want a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb - please ask if you need more help w/ this -- the lighting in the tank is critical for a dragon -- it helps them control parasites and it controls their behavior and over all health

Bandit0

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bandit
Thank you! Will do. I do need some help on the last part. He has a good UVB but I’m not sure enough warmth is coming off of his heat lamp. Is there any you would recommend?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you! Will do. I do need some help on the last part. He has a good UVB but I’m not sure enough warmth is coming off of his heat lamp. Is there any you would recommend?
The UVB is what brand and bulb please and how old is it? Where is it in the tank ? top of screen or inside the tank ? Basking surface temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons please --- for a juvie 95-100 for surface basking temps -- good bulbs are solid bright white bulbs examples Flukers -- Exo Terra Intense - Arcadia Halogen-- or Zoo Med Repti basking bulbs are all good -- they need UVA off that white bulb --- basking bulbs are trial and error --- its going to depend on the size of the tank - is it glass -- what kind of room is it in for temps - a cold room or a warm room -- these all play a factor in getting those temps - also the top of the tank is it solid or a mesh screen -- I would start w/ a 100 watt for a 40 gallon and go from there -- but you must have those digital probe thermometers to get that basking surface temp - that probe needs to set on the spot where he basks for 10 min or so then get the temp

Bandit0

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bandit
The UVB is what brand and bulb please and how old is it? Where is it in the tank ? top of screen or inside the tank ? Basking surface temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons please --- for a juvie 95-100 for surface basking temps -- good bulbs are solid bright white bulbs examples Flukers -- Exo Terra Intense - Arcadia Halogen-- or Zoo Med Repti basking bulbs are all good -- they need UVA off that white bulb --- basking bulbs are trial and error --- its going to depend on the size of the tank - is it glass -- what kind of room is it in for temps - a cold room or a warm room -- these all play a factor in getting those temps - also the top of the tank is it solid or a mesh screen -- I would start w/ a 100 watt for a 40 gallon and go from there -- but you must have those digital probe thermometers to get that basking surface temp - that probe needs to set on the spot where he basks for 10 min or so then get the temp
Brand: Zilla (is that not a good brand? I can buy one from Arcadia/Zoo med)
15 watt T8 bulb, very new, it’s in top of the screen, I’ll have to buy a digital probe thermometer
Tank is glass, 4 feet by 18 inch, believe 75 gallon, in the main room (living room and kitchen connected) bounces between warm and cold but usually in between

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Brand: Zilla (is that not a good brand? I can buy one from Arcadia/Zoo med)
15 watt T8 bulb, very new, it’s in top of the screen, I’ll have to buy a digital probe thermometer
Tank is glass, 4 feet by 18 inch, believe 75 gallon, in the main room (living room and kitchen connected) bounces between warm and cold but usually in between
Ok you want a T 5 you will need a new fixture-- zillas are ok but the bulbs aren't very strong - T 8 's need to be in the tank or screen off they cannot go thru screen and if the clear plastic cover is on the fixture please take it off your dragon is getting no uvb- look into getting a 24" fixture either a zoo med w/ a reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb- I can post websites for those if you like-

Bandit0

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bandit
Ok you want a T 5 you will need a new fixture-- zillas are ok but the bulbs aren't very strong - T 8 's need to be in the tank or screen off they cannot go thru screen and if the clear plastic cover is on the fixture please take it off your dragon is getting no uvb- look into getting a 24" fixture either a zoo med w/ a reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb- I can post websites for those if you like-
Is through mesh okay? I can set the UVB up inside the tank if necessary, by plastic cover do you mean
97F8C9DC-3912-44AA-A5FF-BEC31318EB73.jpeg
E2E53F6B-DA47-4D74-AA13-B9B00AEA354E.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is through mesh okay? I can set the UVB up inside the tank if necessary, by plastic cover do you mean View attachment 73556 View attachment 73557
If that is a T 8 please put it in the tank directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches- your screen looks like a wide hole type T 5 can sit on top w/ a distance of 8-10 inches- let me know what you decide to do - the zoo med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you want a 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 -- I don't see a cover over the bulb

Bandit0

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bandit
If that is a T 8 please put it in the tank directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches- your screen looks like a wide hole type T 5 can sit on top w/ a distance of 8-10 inches- let me know what you decide to do - the zoo med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you want a 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 -- I don't see a cover over the bulb
Thank you, I will decide whether to buy a different one or set the other up in his tank. Is it important for the uvb to be directly above?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you, I will decide whether to buy a different one or set the other up in his tank. Is it important for the uvb to be directly above?
Yes- w/ basking decor directly under it - also I would recommend getting the reptisun 10.0 T 8 bulb it will fit that fixture it's a better bulb

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom