Hello people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessicaJ

Hello my name is Jessica :)

I'm looking into gettting a Bearded Dragon, I met my first one (In real life other than petsmart) my sister owns one and the people that live with her own I think 2. I might get one from her friend because their female is going to have babies so she said she would ask them if I can get one :D my mom doesn't like the idea of a reptile (She was scared today when we went to my sisters) but my dad doesn't care and I think I can talk my way into it :) I have spent weeks maybe months on looking what they eat,need, etc. I will spend more on looking for things to buy.

I hope I get one soon :)

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Hi there! I hope you are able to get one. Let me know if you would like a big list of everything you would need for a new set up! :)

JessicaJ

Original Poster
daner923":3jo9jbdk said:
Hi there! I hope you are able to get one. Let me know if you would like a big list of everything you would need for a new set up! :)

That would help me out alot Daner :) alot of people say I need sand and than people say I don't :/ confuseing me :p

It's killing me not having one

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Sand is a big no-no around here. It harbors bacteria, raises humidity, and causes serious impactions. Here's the list - it will cover all of that!

a) tank - you could start with a 20 gallon long, but your baby will need a 40 gallon breeder quickly, so might as well just start with that. If he is intimidated by that, you can partition it with some cardboard or something temporarily.
b) substrate of your choice (but nothing loose) - I would highly suggest slate tile. It is very similar to their natural habitat, is cheap, easy to clean, keeps muscles toned and nails trim. Other options are reptile carpet, non-adhesive shelf liner, and paper towel/newspaper. Your call really.
c) basking spot (rock or log, either from outside and sanitized, or bought)
d) hide (don't use this for the first couple weeks so your baby doesn't hide instead of bask and acclimate)
e) other tank furniture (a log, a fake tree, vines, fake plant... whatever you want. Just browse the pet store)
f) basking light (whatever wattage gets you to the right temps (105-115F basking spot, aiming for 110F). You can use either a clear household bulb or a basking light from a pet store. Just make sure the bulb is not colored or coated.)
g) basking light clamp lamp fixture
h) 3M command hooks
i) under cabinet fluorescent fixture (I got mine at Walmart - I had a heavier one from Lowes, but it kept falling)
j) ReptiSun 10.0 tube
k) Digital thermometer with probe (at least 1, and they should have a hygrometer built in to measure humidity) and/or temp gun
l) a food bowl for salad, and another for worms/roaches (no water bowl - they don't need a water bowl, and it will just raise the humidity. Just be sure to give baths, every 2-3 days for a young dragon. Do not feed mealworms a bearded dragon, but you can put phoenix worms, silkworms, dubia roaches, waxworms [treat], butterworms [treat], or hornworms [treat] in a bowl. Crickets will not stay in a bowl)
m) If the tank gets below 65F, another dome fixture and a ceramic heat emitter (do not use a red light)
n) (Optional, but really really useful) a power strip with built in timers for lights.
o) supplements - you will need a calcium with D3 powder to be used 5 days a week, one feeding each day for a baby. As an adult, this goes down to 3 feedings a week. You will also need a multivitamin powder. Use this two days a week, one feeding each day for a baby. As an adult, this will drop to 1 feeding a week. I use Rep-Cal and HerptiVite, but other options work as well.
p) If your ambient temperatures are not high enough, you may need an additional light fixture and a lower wattage household bulb to bring up the coolside temp and add extra light.

My other suggestions would be to look into starting a dubia roach colony a few months before getting a beardie. If not, find good, reliable sources either at stores or online for crickets and other feeders. Also, spend some time to locate a good herp vet in case of emergencies. Also, be ready to buy a LOT of bugs. Most babies eat upwards of 50 crickets or other feeders a day. Make sure no feeders are bigger than the space between your baby's eyes. You should be feeding twice a day, as many as he will eat in 10-15 minutes each time.

JessicaJ

Original Poster
daner923":3aseh8dk said:
Sand is a big no-no around here. It harbors bacteria, raises humidity, and causes serious impactions. Here's the list - it will cover all of that!

a) tank - you could start with a 20 gallon long, but your baby will need a 40 gallon breeder quickly, so might as well just start with that. If he is intimidated by that, you can partition it with some cardboard or something temporarily.
b) substrate of your choice (but nothing loose) - I would highly suggest slate tile. It is very similar to their natural habitat, is cheap, easy to clean, keeps muscles toned and nails trim. Other options are reptile carpet, non-adhesive shelf liner, and paper towel/newspaper. Your call really.
c) basking spot (rock or log, either from outside and sanitized, or bought)
d) hide (don't use this for the first couple weeks so your baby doesn't hide instead of bask and acclimate)
e) other tank furniture (a log, a fake tree, vines, fake plant... whatever you want. Just browse the pet store)
f) basking light (whatever wattage gets you to the right temps (105-115F basking spot, aiming for 110F). You can use either a clear household bulb or a basking light from a pet store. Just make sure the bulb is not colored or coated.)
g) basking light clamp lamp fixture
h) 3M command hooks
i) under cabinet fluorescent fixture (I got mine at Walmart - I had a heavier one from Lowes, but it kept falling)
j) ReptiSun 10.0 tube
k) Digital thermometer with probe (at least 1, and they should have a hygrometer built in to measure humidity) and/or temp gun
l) a food bowl for salad, and another for worms/roaches (no water bowl - they don't need a water bowl, and it will just raise the humidity. Just be sure to give baths, every 2-3 days for a young dragon. Do not feed mealworms a bearded dragon, but you can put phoenix worms, silkworms, dubia roaches, waxworms [treat], butterworms [treat], or hornworms [treat] in a bowl. Crickets will not stay in a bowl)
m) If the tank gets below 65F, another dome fixture and a ceramic heat emitter (do not use a red light)
n) (Optional, but really really useful) a power strip with built in timers for lights.
o) supplements - you will need a calcium with D3 powder to be used 5 days a week, one feeding each day for a baby. As an adult, this goes down to 3 feedings a week. You will also need a multivitamin powder. Use this two days a week, one feeding each day for a baby. As an adult, this will drop to 1 feeding a week. I use Rep-Cal and HerptiVite, but other options work as well.
p) If your ambient temperatures are not high enough, you may need an additional light fixture and a lower wattage household bulb to bring up the coolside temp and add extra light.

My other suggestions would be to look into starting a dubia roach colony a few months before getting a beardie. If not, find good, reliable sources either at stores or online for crickets and other feeders. Also, spend some time to locate a good herp vet in case of emergencies. Also, be ready to buy a LOT of bugs. Most babies eat upwards of 50 crickets or other feeders a day. Make sure no feeders are bigger than the space between your baby's eyes. You should be feeding twice a day, as many as he will eat in 10-15 minutes each time.

Thanks daner, my sister uses a soft towel for her breaded. Should I buy the stuff at pet co or petsmart so far I can't find any 40 gals at petsmart.

JessicaJ

Original Poster
htidavid":36ytrgb0 said:
Petco has a sale going on right now [ $1 per gallon ] So you can get a 40gallon breeder for $40!

What is it under I can't find it.

htidavid

Juvie Member
I don't think it's on their website. I just went to petco yesterday though and all their tanks were $1 per gallon. They told me the sale goes until the 27th of this month.

JessicaJ

Original Poster
htidavid":1z269hqr said:
I don't think it's on their website. I just went to petco yesterday though and all their tanks were $1 per gallon. They told me the sale goes until the 27th of this month.

My sister is gonna give me all her things for her grown up bearddie all I have to buy is lighting,decor, and food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom