Hello old friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Hello everyone. I didn't expect to ever find myself back here. Its been some time since I had a dragon, I even gave away all my supplies including a custom wooden enclosure. Of course life has a way of throwing you a curve ball every once in awhile.

A few days ago I spotted a free dragon add on craigslist. Normally I can ignore them as they are far away from my rural town but this was close. I always worry about free reptiles going to bad homes where someone only wants them for the "cool" factor so I replied to the ad and a few hours later I found myself with a new little dragon.

She is around 12" long, head is roughly 2" across so she is still young. They had her since Dec when she was given to the young son with no warning. They did ok with her, she isn't in terrible shape but does have some issues.

She seems to be a bit weak in the legs, a little wobbly at times. I don't know if its from simply not getting enough exercise as she was in a 10 gallon tank or if its a calcium/diet issue. She was being fed mealworms, dry pelleted food and kale dipped in calcium, no vitamins. I'm working on vitamins but she hates the taste, I did get her to take a couple bits of vit coated kale today.

I'm feeding her kale and mustard greens, sprinkled with calcium. She only eats a few mouthfuls but its a start. She won't try any other veggies yet but she did eat a piece of grape.

Still feeding her mealies as she doesn't quite understand other bugs yet. She took a few hisser nymphs the first day but none since. Won't touch hornworms, not tried crickets yet. I'm working on getting a dubia colony going and I have quite a few pregnant hissers. Plan to order other feeders once this cold snaps moves on.

She was kept in a bedroom downstairs, no stimulation or light besides her cage lighting. She seems a bit freaked out by being moved to the living area, gives everyone the stink eye. Not a fan of being held but thats to be expected considering the change shes been though, she is also shedding.

I've started giving baths to help with shedding and exercise. She hates it but doesn't panic, just gets grumpy. Any other tips to help strengthen her legs? She is in a 75 gallon with plenty of climbing areas. She does utilize the space, running around a lot and even glass dancing. Some of the bigger sticks are hard for her to climb so I used a saw and made little notches for traction.

She does have a teeny tiny hump at the base of her tail. Not enough to see but it can be felt. I can't tell if its the beginning of MBD or something she was born with. I have no idea what kind of bulbs she had before.
I'm using a repti sun 10 compact as it was the only high output light they had. I don't like it, its not bright enough and I prefer a tube light to cover more area. I will be ordering a new tube before too long. I suppose I will use both UVB bulbs, the compact can be used on the basking spot.

NL3A8Zl.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome back and at least she went to someone who has knowledge of beardies--- are you feeding her crickets or dubias? I would get her started on those now--- That is their main diet at this time- she should be getting those dusted w/ calcium d3 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week-- I recommend her dubias they are a better health diet than crickets -- they tend to give parasites and worms---its going to be easier to get the vitamins etc in her -- keep offering the vegies but I would offer her mustard greens collard greens turnip greens squash any kind and little fruit like apples - strawberries blueberries NO citrus--I would also not feed her anymore meal worms - they are too hard on their digestive system -- definitely get the tube UVB --10.0 Reptisun T 8 or the Arcadia 10.0 T 5 -- the T 8 will need to be changed out every 6 months whereas the T 5 once a year -- you will need a T 5 fixture if you go w/ that --once you get the tube UVB you wont need the other your using now -- dried pellet food I didnt even think beardies would eat that --the tube UVB should be placed inside the tank -- the screen mesh on top will filter out the rays and she wont get maximum effect of bulb-- again thanks for sharing and I hope she is a lot happier - or she will be I am sure --- she will adjust just give her time poor thing --
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Gail, nice to see you back and with a new dragon. :) You already know most of the info you need to keep her healthy. She's a pretty little thing. lots of yellow going on there. Can you post a pic of her set up + how your lights are situated ? A 75 is a big tall tank so your main problem now [ esp. since she does have symptoms of MBD starting ] is to keep her warm enough and get the uvb close enough. It should be suspended down in the tank so she can get wthin 8-10" of it. Being up on the screen wil be too far away as well as screen will block some. It's pretty important to get a good bulb ASAP because MBD can cause deformities almost overnight. Don't worry to much about vitamins but do try to get her interested in the roaches as quickly as possible since they can easily be gut loaded, crickets can be as well but roaches are best. Hope your hisses drop their babies in the next day or so. Hope to hear good updates on the little bugger. BTW, what's her name ?

Gail

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks AHBD. Here is the set up, the light on the far right is the UVB, the long hood is just a regular light for brightness. Temps aren't a problem, if anything I need to work on lowering them some. She can get 6" or so from the UVB, I don't have a regular screen top so I'm hoping I won't have to suspend it from inside.
I will get a proper tube UVB as soon as the taxes come in.

She is a lot more orange then it shows in the pic, should be very pretty. She was called Iris but I will probably change it.

She still won't even look at the roaches. I might give in and just get some medium supers. getting any bugs is a issue right now, its so cold not even pets stores are ordering them.

oIgdSjV.jpg

sJ7XoOC.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can always order roaches on line - you can try Amazon.com alot of suppliers have free shipping
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yep I live in MN its around same temp - you can have them held at post office and pick them up there
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Gail, welcome back! I'm glad she has found a good home with you. She will thrive under your care. I'm running into the same issue with ordering bugs with this cold weather. It looks like it's going to break soon though.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Let's hope so cuz I am sick of it--- I have 5 ft of snow in my back yard
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Gail,

Great to see you back, life always throws us a curve ball......
You have everything under control! She is beautiful & I'm sure that she is in good hands with
you & will be very happy, too.
I would order a T5 tube bulb, either the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14%. They are a
huge improvement from the older T8 versions.

Good luck with her. Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Hello Gail, glad you're back!!!! :D :D :blob5: :blob5:

Though I have not tried this myself but, there are those who's knowledge I trust on here that have said that, scrambled eggs(with no oils) or, hard boiled eggs are great protein supplements. You can try that until you can get bugs if she'll eat it...worth a shot

Gail

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I got her to eat some roaches but they had to be coated in calcium. Seems she only likes light colored foods.

I'm headed to the pet store today to look for proper uvb, lets hope they have what I want.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Calcium coated roaches are the way to go anyway. :) Of course they shouldn't be heavily coated in to adulthood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom