Heavy Breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta250

Beardie name(s)
Marigold
Hi all, I’ve got some more concerns regarding my new beardie Marigold. I’ve noticed she breathes a bit heavy and often. She has also opened her mouth a few times (granted, this was on her basking spot, but I haven’t noticed her opening her mouth while basking for awhile, until today). Took a look inside her mouth and it looks all clear, no saliva or stringiness. Haven’t seen any bubbles in the nose or mouth. It’s really just the heavy breathing. Sometimes it looks like she is sighing. I’m a bit paranoid because my last beardie was sick. She is acting normal, eating VERY well, and pooping everyday. Her head is also getting ready to shed, has its dull colors. She is almost 5 months old. I believe my temps are okay. Basking spot at 105-110, warm side 90, and cool side 80-85. Humidity is a bit low though at 10%. I do have a water bowl in there and I spray her multiple times a day. She is also still a little skittish around me. I do have a vet appointment scheduled for her next week for a first time visit/checkup! I may be too paranoid, but I really want to make sure she’s okay!

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
The heavy breathing at times seems concerning my guy did that sometimes to and I was never able to figure it out? I would say as long as you don’t see any kind of fluid in the nostrils and their clear and no clicking sounds when breathing and as long as she’s not always got her mouth open I think it’s ok and the fact you have a vet appointment coming up hopefully they can rule out an RI. Is she opening her mouth up while on the cool side? She may be just try to let a little body heat because it’s slightly to hot overall in the viv your basking temperatures are good may just try getting the cool side a little lower? My guy doesn’t do well when his whole enclosure is close to the same temperature. You mentioned 80-85 on cool side and 90 on hot side that’s not much of a gradient if you can get the cool side down a bit I think it may help.

Delta250

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marigold
The heavy breathing at times seems concerning my guy did that sometimes to and I was never able to figure it out? I would say as long as you don’t see any kind of fluid in the nostrils and their clear and no clicking sounds when breathing and as long as she’s not always got her mouth open I think it’s ok and the fact you have a vet appointment coming up hopefully they can rule out an RI. Is she opening her mouth up while on the cool side? She may be just try to let a little body heat because it’s slightly to hot overall in the viv your basking temperatures are good may just try getting the cool side a little lower? My guy doesn’t do well when his whole enclosure is close to the same temperature. You mentioned 80-85 on cool side and 90 on hot side that’s not much of a gradient if you can get the cool side down a bit I think it may help.
Yeah, it really does concern me, she did puff up her beard this morning for a second, but that could be due to shedding. It hasn’t detached yet but it seems pretty close. Her mouth doesn’t open on the cool side, only in her basking zone, which is also probably normal. I will definitely try adjusting the temps, the temp in my room fluctuates and can get a little chilly during this time of year! Hopefully it’s from her getting ready to shed though.

Delta250

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marigold

Delta250

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marigold
Or if you run your CHE for nighttime heat you could get an Arcadia DHP which you could run 24/7 for your supplemental heat and nighttime heat they last along time and act like a second basking spot dragons love them.

https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...aE9gIV4D6tBh2KIAjrEAQYASABEgIBxPD_BwE[/QUOTE]
Wow I like that a lot better! Just ordered one. So, as long as there are no noises and discharge, she is probably fine? Thanks for your help!

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
No it’s silent and produces IRA and IRB which mimics what the sun provides and it heats up the animal better than a traditional basking bulb. I use mine for the basking bulb and run it 24/7 for nighttime heat as well. If you can setup some rocks and branches directly underneath it and it absorbs the heat then radiates it back into the enclosure. I use one DHP to heat my entire enclosure no problem and it creates a good basking spot. Arcadia says to give it a few days to let it break in and reach it’s full strength.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, try to get the overall temperatures to a range of 78-80 but with a specific basking temperature of
around 95-105. Are you using a digital probe to measure the temperatures?
Since you aren't seeing any signs or symptoms of a respiratory infection, she may just be getting too hot
& is a bit stressed. Could her nostrils be clogged, due to pre-shed?

Tracie

Delta250

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marigold
Hello,

I agree, try to get the overall temperatures to a range of 78-80 but with a specific basking temperature of
Since you aren't seeing any signs or symptoms of a respiratory infection, she may just be getting too hot

Tracie
I will definitely do that! I am using a digital probe. I am also wondering about the nostrils being clogged. The shed isn’t ready to come off yet so we’ll definitely have to wait and see about that.

Delta250

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marigold
Hello,

Tracie
Little update, the shed is just starting to come off, starting at her beard. She is still breathing heavy (I lowered the temps to the cool side to 70-75) she did open her mouth while I had her out and did a weird yawn/stretch thing, still no saliva or stringiness. Guessing that’s from her shedding? I had to reschedule her appointment to next week due to a storm. Apologies, I am a paranoid beardie momma, the death of my last beardie is still pretty fresh.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news her shed is starting to come off now! It is hard not to be worried or overly concerned on issues, even if
they are not always emergencies when you have lost one in the past.
Has she been pushing or stretching her beard out a lot, to help her shed? They do stretch their skin on their beards to help
prepare for shedding.
How are the nostrils looking, do they appear to be clear?
Keep us posted on your girl!

Tracie

Delta250

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marigold
Hello,

That is great news her shed is starting to come off now! It is hard not to be worried or overly concerned on issues, even if
they are not always emergencies when you have lost one in the past.
Has she been pushing or stretching her beard out a lot, to help her shed? They do stretch their skin on their beards to help
prepare for shedding.
How are the nostrils looking, do they appear to be clear?
Keep us posted on your girl!

Tracie
She did end up getting all the shed off her head just fine, especially the nostrils, and now her body is shedding! She had her vet appt yesterday and the vet said she looks totally healthy!I did bring in a stool sample because the past few days she’s had some VERY loose and smelly stools, I have to give her a bath after she goes because she stinks. She is still doing the heavy breathing, she also has been doing some gulping motions. Still eating her greens and bugs though. Trying my best to keep her hydrated. Thank you for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom