Heating

Sparky12

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sparky
the best thing you can do for your dragon induced insanity is ignore just about everything you'll be told by people at petsmart. they are in the business of making money, not giving dragons proper care. (although i'm sure that there are rare exceptions to that. the guy you're talking to does not sound like an exception.)
It sounds like it because I am so confused about what to do Do I just need to return the DHP and just stick with a 100 Watt bask light and the T5 UVB

Sparky12

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sparky
What are your terms with the 50 watt and the DHP? So we know how much farther you have to go to get to your target temp
50 watt is the bask light I had from his smaller enclosure so I just put it on top to try and get the temps up the 80 watt DHP is on day and night with no bask on normally but the temps are 83 in the hot spot and I know it needs to go up

Sparky12

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sparky
50 watt is the bask light I had from his smaller enclosure so I just put it on top to try and get the temps up the 80 watt DHP is on day and night with no bask on normally but the temps are 83 in the hot spot and I know it needs to go up
I thought the bask light and the DHP were the same that’s why bask isn’t on during the day

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
No people actually use DHP’s at night instead of ceramic heat emitters. They don’t snuff out humidity like the ceramic heat emitters plus they don’t put off any light so they don’t mess up the sleep cycle. If they were the same thing you wouldn’t be able to use them at night.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
is the IR gun the only thing you have to measure temperatures, or do you have digital probe thermometers? the IR guns can be off depending on what type of material you are trying to read off of. i'd start out tomorrow having both on and see what it does for your temps. they are definitely not the same thing.

Sparky12

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sparky
No people actually use DHP’s at night instead of ceramic heat emitters. They don’t snuff out humidity like the ceramic heat emitters plus they don’t put off any light so they don’t mess up the sleep cycle. If they were the same thing you wouldn’t be able to use them at night.
Oh okay so the DPH should be turned off during the day?

Sparky12

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sparky
is the IR gun the only thing you have to measure temperatures, or do you have digital probe thermometers? the IR guns can be off depending on what type of material you are trying to read off of. i'd start out tomorrow having both on and see what it does for your temps. they are definitely not the same thing.
I only have the IR gun at his hot spot rock and I do have a stick thermometer but I heard those are not good to tell either so I just been using the gun

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
the gun is definitely better than the sticks. i took one of my probes and put it on my basking spot, then put a red sharpie dot on the basking spot where the probe was. then i used the gun to see what that read at the sharpie dot when i had the temp i wanted based on the probe. it lets me do quick checks with the gun without having to move the probe around. i do move it over and verify it is still accurate every month or so.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
anyway, the reason i was asking about the gun/probe is we want to make sure you're not way hotter than you think while working things out and nuking your little dude

Sparky12

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sparky
anyway, the reason i was asking about the gun/probe is we want to make sure you're not way hotter than you think while working things out and nuking your little dude
I understand I don’t want him to get to hot or to cold it’s a really good idea and I’m gonna look into it. I’m just confused on what to do to get it where it needs to be petsmart got me going in circles.

Sparky12

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sparky
I understand I don’t want him to get to hot or to cold it’s a really good idea and I’m gonna look into it. I’m just confused on what to do to get it where it needs to be petsmart got me going in circles.
Me doing research is how I found this website

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
this website helped me save our guy's life! we rescued him from someone that got the petco special and he was damn near dead.

@Longfellow777 is the one i see talk about DHP the most on here so that's probably your best go to source on that topic.

i'd suggest tomorrow having both the 50w basking and the DHP on and see what your temp readings are then go from there. you might be there with what you already have

Sparky12

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sparky
this website helped me save our guy's life! we rescued him from someone that got the petco special and he was damn near dead.

longfellow777 is the one i see talk about DHP the most on here so that's probably your best go to source on that topic.

i'd suggest tomorrow having both the 50w basking and the DHP on and see what your temp readings are then go from there. you might be there with what you already have
That’s Awesome I’m glad I found you guys and I will do that tomorrow and I will message him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom