Heating

Sparky12

Beardie name(s)
Sparky
Hey guys! I just recently got a fancy breaded dragon. We just got him a 75 gallon tank and having trouble getting the temperatures correct. I know I need to get a bigger watts but I don’t know what to get. We have a deep heat projector that’s 80 watts thinking about getting a halgon to help with the heat is that a good idea I know deep heat projector is a good choice but it’s having a hard time warming up the big enclosure. Also do we have to have a basking bulb with a deep heat projector also guys please help.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
There’s a little bit of controversy over the fact that the Dhps Don’t put off UVA however from what I’ve looked into and from my own experience if you’re running a good T5 fluorescent UVB tube. That is sufficient spectrum lighting and a dhp alone would do. I personally don’t run a DHP at all by itself. Basking bulbs are hit n miss you just gonna have to try everything until you get what you want. I would think 100 W bulb is where you should start. Maybe even a little higher. Keep your receipts until you find the right one.

Sparky12

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sparky
There’s a little bit of controversy over the fact that the Dhps Don’t put off UVA however from what I’ve looked into and from my own experience if you’re running a good T5 fluorescent UVB tube. That is sufficient spectrum lighting and a dhp alone would do. I personally don’t run a DHP at all by itself. Basking bulbs are hit n miss you just gonna have to try everything until you get what you want. I would think 100 W bulb is where you should start. Maybe even a little higher. Keep your receipts until you find the right one.
So your saying that a T5 and the deep heat projecter would be good together and no Halgon? Also do I need a basking light also or no basking light needed because I have the deep heat light?

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
T fives are sufficient lighting so in other words no you don’t need another basking bulb but you’re not getting the temperatures you need so I would get the halogen and I would start at 100 W. Or you can go a lower wattage get another fixture and run your DP projector with a smaller watage basking bulb.

Sparky12

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sparky
T fives are sufficient lighting so in other words no you don’t need another basking bulb but you’re not getting the temperatures you need so I would get the halogen and I would start at 100 W. Or you can go a lower wattage get another fixture and run your DP projector with a smaller watage basking bulb.
Okay so I have the 50 watt basking bulb in there and the 80 watts DHP working together right now but the temps isn’t wear it needs to be what’s the best choice to get it where I need it?
100 Watt Halogen with 80 Watt DHP and no basking light
Or 100 Watt basking light and 80 Watt DHP and no Halogen

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
If you are running the 80 w dhp and a bask light try 100 watt bask bulb (not halogen) with the dhp. Keep receipts so you can trade in lights till you find the right one.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
from what i've read on here, dhp is just heat, no light. i don't use one myself because just a 50w basking bulb has my enclosure hot enough and i can't imagine adding more heat. but it seems like out of the bulbs you already have, since you're just trying to get the temps higher, the basking bulb would be the cheapest/easiest thing to experiment with

Sparky12

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sparky
If you are running the 80 w dhp and a bask light try 100 watt bask bulb (not halogen) with the dhp. Keep receipts so you can trade in lights till you find the right one.
Okay what’s the difference between DHP and bask I thought they are the same

Sparky12

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sparky
from what i've read on here, dhp is just heat, no light. i don't use one myself because just a 50w basking bulb has my enclosure hot enough and i can't imagine adding more heat. but it seems like out of the bulbs you already have, since you're just trying to get the temps higher, the basking bulb would be the cheapest/easiest thing to experiment with
Oh okay

Sparky12

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sparky
DHP’s are great for penetrating muscle They put off infrared A and Infared B but don’t put off much visible light
So is the DHP is the same as a bask but just with no light? The guy at petsmart said it’s the same and I use that but the temps ain’t doing with just the DHP alone so I put the 50 watt bask in there to try and get temps up and him warm before bed

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
the best thing you can do for your dragon induced insanity is ignore just about everything you'll be told by people at petsmart. they are in the business of making money, not giving dragons proper care. (although i'm sure that there are rare exceptions to that. the guy you're talking to does not sound like an exception.)

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom