Heating/Lighting issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandalynn22

Beardie name(s)
Finn
Hello! I bought a juvenile bearded dragon on January 1st. We have been scrambling to get his lighting and UVB fixed as the kit we bought him with had all of the wrong things. We just upgraded his UVB to a Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 HO tube light. He has a 100 Watt basking light about 7 inches from his basking rock. We will be updating his reptile carpet to tile or cabinet liner as we have read that is better and easier to clean. As of right now we put paper towels down. He is in a 40 gallon glass open front tank. Our living room and bedroom are in the basement, the temperatures down here are around 59 degrees Fahrenheit and sometimes a little above or below as my boyfriends parents keep the heat very low or off. I am also keeping a CHE bulb on as his temps are so low and read here I can put a regular house bulb on his cool side to bring up the temperature. His temps are :
Ambient cool side- averaging 69 degrees Fahrenheit
Ambient hot side- averaging 76 degrees Fahrenheit
Basking rock spot- averaging 106- sometimes up to 120 degrees ( I know that’s too hot but I am having difficulty regulating it)
The first photo is before I switched everything. I switched his basking area to a his log hide because the large rock was too hot. I am taking temps with two temperature/hygrometers inside the tank on each side and a digital infrared thermometer.
I just need advice on what I can do to fix this.
Edit- he did not eat at all yesterday and has not eaten yet today either.
We have crickets and mealworms that I am dusting with a multivitamin with calcium and D3 (I just bought separate multivitamins and calcium powders that will be coming in on Sunday)

Attachments

• 7693CFFB-0A83-420F-903E-E349A125B2BF.jpeg
    7693CFFB-0A83-420F-903E-E349A125B2BF.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 136
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 99

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello! I bought a juvenile bearded dragon on January 1st. We have been scrambling to get his lighting and UVB fixed as the kit we bought him with had all of the wrong things. We just upgraded his UVB to a Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 HO tube light. He has a 100 Watt basking light about 7 inches from his basking rock. We will be updating his reptile carpet to tile or cabinet liner as we have read that is better and easier to clean. As of right now we put paper towels down. He is in a 40 gallon glass open front tank. Our living room and bedroom are in the basement, the temperatures down here are around 59 degrees Fahrenheit and sometimes a little above or below as my boyfriends parents keep the heat very low or off. I am also keeping a CHE bulb on as his temps are so low and read here I can put a regular house bulb on his cool side to bring up the temperature. His temps are :
Ambient cool side- averaging 69 degrees Fahrenheit
Ambient hot side- averaging 76 degrees Fahrenheit
Basking rock spot- averaging 106- sometimes up to 120 degrees ( I know that’s too hot but I am having difficulty regulating it)
The first photo is before I switched everything. I switched his basking area to a his log hide because the large rock was too hot. I am taking temps with two temperature/hygrometers inside the tank on each side and a digital infrared thermometer.
I just need advice on what I can do to fix this.
Edit- he did not eat at all yesterday and has not eaten yet today either.
We have crickets and mealworms that I am dusting with a multivitamin with calcium and D3 (I just bought separate multivitamins and calcium powders that will be coming in on Sunday)
Please show me your screen- you need 2 digital probe thermometer- one for basking place the probe on the spot where he sits for basking wait 10 min or get the temp 95-100- the other side cool should be 80's during the day + your not getting accurate temps w/ the IR gun the probes will give more accurate temps-- we're going to work on those but we need the probes first- and we need to get your uvb properly placed and distanced

mandalynn22

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Finn
The first is the picture of my screen, the left is the regular halogen bulb, middle is the CHE and right is the 100W basking bulb back is UVB. the second picture is to show where my probes are normally placed on the back of the tank. I have placed the probe on his basking spot and will update with the temperature.

Attachments

• D025CD83-976E-4889-8D23-FDE4544D895D.jpeg
    D025CD83-976E-4889-8D23-FDE4544D895D.jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 32DA09BB-AC87-4BE2-A689-0AB40EBB56AA.jpeg
    32DA09BB-AC87-4BE2-A689-0AB40EBB56AA.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 110

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The first is the picture of my screen, the left is the regular halogen bulb, middle is the CHE and right is the 100W basking bulb back is UVB. the second picture is to show where my probes are normally placed on the back of the tank. I have placed the probe on his basking spot and will update with the temperature.
ok I see one probe on the back wall --- and the UVB is good on top as long as you have a piece of basking decor directly underneath 8-10 inches

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The temperature at the basking spot was 115 degrees Fahrenheit
Too hot --- 105-110 for a baby as they get older she will not want that hot of a temp juvies like it 95-100 approx 6 months old--- please NO more meal worms the exoskeleton is too hard on their digestive system -- please start feeding salads first thing in the morning - ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
Nutrition Content
hes going to go thru relocation stress as long as he is eating w/ correct temps and UVB he will acclimate to his tank and surroundings better - you can order him some BSFL to put on top of his salads do not dust them - www.symptonbsf.com you need a dish like a ceramic one or glass to keep them in it --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom