Heating issues

Having some trouble narrowing in on my enclosures heating. It’s a new enclosure I just upgraded my guy too, and he hasn’t really basked since being in it. And the temperature readings Haven’t really gotten where I want.

Cage is 6’x3’x3’ and has decent ventilation (2 vents high on the hot side and 2 low on the cool side, to pull cool air in and dispel hot air).

Currently being heated by two 100w Arcadia halogen bulbs. After they have been on a while the ambient temperature on the hot side will get to ~85 and the cool side ~83. So their isn’t much of a gradient, I’d really like to get the cool side down to ~75, but don’t know how.

I have smaller halogens I could try if you all think that would work, or I have a computer fan I can hook up to a vent for increased flow.

Thank you in advance,
Nick

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Having some trouble narrowing in on my enclosures heating. It’s a new enclosure I just upgraded my guy too, and he hasn’t really basked since being in it. And the temperature readings Haven’t really gotten where I want.

Cage is 6’x3’x3’ and has decent ventilation (2 vents high on the hot side and 2 low on the cool side, to pull cool air in and dispel hot air).

Currently being heated by two 100w Arcadia halogen bulbs. After they have been on a while the ambient temperature on the hot side will get to ~85 and the cool side ~83. So their isn’t much of a gradient, I’d really like to get the cool side down to ~75, but don’t know how.

I have smaller halogens I could try if you all think that would work, or I have a computer fan I can hook up to a vent for increased flow.

Thank you in advance,
Nick
You dont want cooler than 80ish during the daytime on your cool side -- hot side needs to be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer 200 watt is alot for only getting to 85 and not staying there --

PrinceH4H4T4

Original Poster
You dont want cooler than 80ish during the daytime on your cool side -- hot side needs to be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer 200 watt is alot for only getting to 85 and not staying there --
The heat seems to rise pretty fast, if I take readings from the top of the tank it can be over 100°.

My temperatures are recorded on both sides by new acurite outdoor thermometer/hydrometers. I believe they are supposed to be pretty accurate.

But I agree, I’m not sure what to do to fix it.

Last edited:

PrinceH4H4T4

Original Poster
Is the top of the tank a screen ? Or solid?
It is a solid top, all of the fixtures are inside the terrarium (attached to the top).

You can kinda see in this picture (best I’ve got while I’m at work)

The white acurite sensor bottom left; vents at the top and the fixtures.

I have since changed those bulbs to the 100w halogens (old picture)

This is a picture taken from the cool side, looking towards the hot side.

Attachments

• 7772D8EE-A24B-467B-8C67-B27F5468AC92.jpeg
    7772D8EE-A24B-467B-8C67-B27F5468AC92.jpeg
    282.6 KB · Views: 57

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is a solid top, all of the fixtures are inside the terrarium (attached to the top).

You can kinda see in this picture (best I’ve got while I’m at work)

The white acurite sensor bottom left; vents at the top and the fixtures.

I have since changed those bulbs to the 100w halogens (old picture)

This is a picture taken from the cool side, looking towards the hot side.
Can you lower your basking bulbs? What is the distance from the uvb to basking decor - it looks really high - should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Can you lower your basking bulbs? What is the distance from the uvb to basking decor - it looks really high - should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece
Just make sure your getting surface basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer-

PrinceH4H4T4

Original Poster
I have actually flipped that basking log over to get it closer to the bulbs since I took that picture. I’d have to measure it when I get home, but I’d guess it’s around 15” from the bulbs

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have actually flipped that basking log over to get it closer to the bulbs since I took that picture. I’d have to measure it when I get home, but I’d guess it’s around 15” from the bulbs
Ok the surface basking temps will increase w/ getting it closer---uvb is fine at 15 inches but no more or the rays will be weaker

PrinceH4H4T4

Original Poster
Ok the surface basking temps will increase w/ getting it closer---uvb is fine at 15 inches but no more or the rays will be weaker
Got someone to snag a picture of the new basking area.

So I guess I’m just concerned with my hot side ambient temp not getting above 85.

I’m sure it’s above 85 when you get closer to the basking zone, but you would think the heat would stick around a little bit on the hot side

Attachments

• 75DDE55F-8353-45DA-81A5-143DC9D6FDE9.jpeg
    75DDE55F-8353-45DA-81A5-143DC9D6FDE9.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 54

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Got someone to snag a picture of the new basking area.

So I guess I’m just concerned with my hot side ambient temp not getting above 85.

I’m sure it’s above 85 when you get closer to the basking zone, but you would think the heat would stick around a little bit on the hot side
I am wondering if your getting too much vent out- try covering up one of the vents see if you can retain some of the heat- I would do heat side but make sure you watch those temps -

PrinceH4H4T4

Original Poster
I am wondering if your getting too much vent out- try covering up one of the vents see if you can retain some of the heat- I would do heat side but make sure you watch those temps -
Covered up 1.5 vents (hot side) and temps have gone up slightly all across the board. Peaking around 86 hot side and 84 cool side currently.

And humidity has remained much higher than it normally would during the day currently 57-62% humidity.

So I’m not sure if this is better or not. Obviously the hot side getting warmer was a goal, but it also raised the cool side equally and is now holding humidity.

What do you think?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Covered up 1.5 vents (hot side) and temps have gone up slightly all across the board. Peaking around 86 hot side and 84 cool side currently.

And humidity has remained much higher than it normally would during the day currently 57-62% humidity.

So I’m not sure if this is better or not. Obviously the hot side getting warmer was a goal, but it also raised the cool side equally and is now holding humidity.

What do you think?
humidity is fine as long as it does not go above 70%-- ok so lets try this open your vents back up and get a piece of wood cover up some of the top lets try half and see if that starts retaining more heat -- it should -- watch the temps 84 is fine for cool side --

PrinceH4H4T4

Original Poster
humidity is fine as long as it does not go above 70%-- ok so lets try this open your vents back up and get a piece of wood cover up some of the top lets try half and see if that starts retaining more heat -- it should -- watch the temps 84 is fine for cool side --
Sorry, just a little confused. What do you mean by covering the top with some wood?

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom