Heating effect on custom foam background/elements?

CGarland

Hi all, currently building a custom enclosure for my BD and just hoping to get some confirmation/clarity before I start scaping the background. I will be forming the 3 sided background out of XPS foam, and then coating it in multiple layers of a sanded grout, and then sealing with mod podge. Given that the basking platform will be formed in this manner, do I need to be concerned with heaving a heating source overtop it? Im still doing some research but right now my plan is to have an arcadia halogen bulb, a 50w arcadia DPH, 12% arcadia T5 uvb, and some overlap of the arcadia jungle dawn full spectrum LED bar. Is there any danger of using the DHP over the thickly grouted and sealed basking area? Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No rea concern, just like with anything, make sure it's not getting too hot. Use a digital thermometer with probe end to measure the temperature. The coating of modpodge can make IR thermometers inaccurate, if that's what you use.

-Brandon

CGarland

Original Poster
Perfect thank you! Do you(or anyone else!) have any experience using both a DHP and a halogen bulb alongside each other? My thought was to use a 50w DHP, and a 75w halogen, but im not sure if id have to dim the halogen too much and reduce the visible light directing my BD to the defined basking spot?

SPandS

Juvie Member
I use both a halogen and a dhp in the winter since my house is old and drafty. But I do have my dhp in a dimmable dome and have never had to have it all the way on.

I'm not sure what size tank you have or how chilly your house gets but it really is a lot of trial and error as to which wattages work for your particular situation.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Perfect thank you! Do you(or anyone else!) have any experience using both a DHP and a halogen bulb alongside each other? My thought was to use a 50w DHP, and a 75w halogen, but im not sure if id have to dim the halogen too much and reduce the visible light directing my BD to the defined basking spot?
Yes I have ran both a 75 w halogen and a 50 w halogen with my 50 w dhp. Your right about the dimming on the 75 mine got virtually no light once I had it where I needed it. Your better of trying the 50/50 watts. Keep in mind To the jungle dawn will add a few degrees to your ambient temperature. I also run a jungle dawn alongside my t5 12%. I have found that my tank runs a few degrees hotter when I have it on. In the winter I ran that set up but now that it’s getting hotter here I’m back to just running a 75 W halogen again without the dhp.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom