Heating Dubia Colony

Status
Not open for further replies.

MojoThor

Hello,

Just wondering what people think is the best way to heat your dubia roach colony. I just ordered some dubias and should be getting them this week. I live in Florida and am planning on keeping them in a closet, the house temp is set to be around 75 degrees on average so it would be best if I gave them some additional heat source right? I looked around the board and some websites and saw a few ideas for heating like heat tape and undertank heaters and stuff like that but ive never used any type of heat source like that other than my light bulbs for the bearded dragons. So im just wondering what would be best for me to use and were can i get one? Thanks in advance for the help.

Geoff22

Hatchling Member

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
I raise Dubia and use a human style heat pad under the breeder tote and a zoo med under tank heater for the feeder tote. both work real well. When it's warm I don't heat the feeder tote because as long as it's above 65 degrees they only need heat in order to keep the temp up around 95 so they breed well. When it's warmer I put the human heating pad on low, when it's colder I put it on high so I don't need a thermostat.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forum!!! :D

Eric

Geoff22

Hatchling Member
Ok, here is the site I got my heat tape from, its back up and running

http://www.proexotics.com/store/product.php?productid=16194&cat=0&page=1

Heres the thermo I was talking about, well on proexotics its $17 I found a cheaper site, but if your getting all the tape and stuff might as well get it from them to save on shipping.

http://www.proexotics.com/store/product.php?productid=16237&cat=249&page=1

I mean its not the best thermo in the world, you cant controll it by actual digi temp so its up to you what ya want to do. U can only set it to low, med, high and wait it out and see how it heats it up, I keep mine a little past the medium and it stays around 88-93 degrees in there all the time

Make sure you get the heat tape, foil tape, clip set.....

WarDaddy

Cool, I ordered 2 and got a UV temp gun thing so shipping was free :)

I can not wait, ordered my Roaches this morning too... My wife is so excited :)

augsburg1530":c1510 said:
I raise Dubia and use a human style heat pad under the breeder tote and a zoo med under tank heater for the feeder tote. both work real well. When it's warm I don't heat the feeder tote because as long as it's above 65 degrees they only need heat in order to keep the temp up around 95 so they breed well...

Eric

Eric, just curious why you heat the feeder tank if they only need to warmer temps to breed.

Christine

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
I should restate heating my feeder tote. When it's cooler, I live near the north coast of CA. where during the summer we can have one day that is 85 degrees and the next be 60 degrees, so I heat my feeder tote with an under tank heater on the cooler days. I do this because my dubia are precious and I don't want to take a chance on stressing them too much or killing them if the get too cold. My lobster roaches I don't heat at all and they just won't die, the Dubia are too expensive and I've waited too long to get a healthy colony going that I don't want to endanger either my breeders or my feeders.

Thanks for asking the question, and sorry for any confusion.

Eric

BestRoach

Hatchling Member
Human heating pads and overhead heat emitters will work. I personally house all my colonies in a climate controlled shed, and that seems to work for me. This allows me to control the humidity levels much more accurately, as opposed to just heating the bins indevidually. If you have a small closet or cuboard, you may be able to replicate this setup....although, its a little overkill for one roach bin.

I suggest sticking with an human heating pad.

Chubz

augsburg1530":36bee said:
I raise Dubia and use a human style heat pad under the breeder tote and a zoo med under tank heater for the feeder tote. both work real well. When it's warm I don't heat the feeder tote because as long as it's above 65 degrees they only need heat in order to keep the temp up around 95 so they breed well. When it's warmer I put the human heating pad on low, when it's colder I put it on high so I don't need a thermostat.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forum!!! :D

Eric

i use the same right now, i have it set on medium in my closet i'm sure during the michigan cold winters i'll have to set it to high though.

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
I just use a human heating pad. I do have them in a Dragon room that stays relatively warm though so it may help me out a little bit.

Lunamatron

Juvie Member
We keep our home is Southern California very cold year around. The warmest we ever let it get to is 75 degrees, but we personally prefer between 68 and 70 degrees. I am currently using a heating pad, but with the vents, my colony is only getting to 80 to 85 degrees. My husband was wondering if we could drill holes completely around a lid and use this as ventilation instead of the mesh screen hole we have in the center? The holes would be close together, just on the outer edges of the lid rather than the middle... Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom