Heating/Airflow/UV Question

Just finished setting up my beardies 6x3x3 enclosure.

Quick rundown of the enclosure:
- 6’x3’x3’
- Two vents (placed high on the wall) on the hot side and 2 vents (placed low on the wall) on the cool side.
- Hot side has a 150w DHP and a 70w halogen (I’m still trying to narrow in on the proper basking heat)
- UVB is a Arcadia 14% and about 20” from the basking zone
- several LED lighting strips for general light

Problems I’m having:
- the uvb bulb, which I’ve only been using for 3-4 months, is only giving me readings on my solar meter of 1.5-2 at the basking zone. The website says it should be 5-6 at 20”, so I’m not sure what’s wrong there.
- the air vents seem to proved decent air flow, I can feel cool air flowing in the lower vents and warm air leaving the upper vents. But the hot and cool side ambient temps are very similar, usually within 5 degrees. I’d like the cool side to be a little cooler, but not sure how to accomplish that without effecting the temp on the hot side.
- I seem to be having trouble figuring out my temperature gradient. Currently I have a 150 watt DHP being controlled by a thermostat and a 70 watt halogen with a dimmer (started with a 100watt halogen but switched it be user the cool end was too hot). I basically have 2 temperatures in the cage, the basking spot (trying to figure out what temperature the lizard likes best) and the rest of the enclosure (80-84°). So how can I get better temperature gradient and proper basking temperatures?

Basically just need help getting my heating and lighting setup properly.

If you have questions, please ask.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, just wanna get my little man setup properly

Attachments

• 92F427FA-B99D-43A0-89E8-F03AE133398F.jpeg
    92F427FA-B99D-43A0-89E8-F03AE133398F.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 101
  • F2EF29B9-9599-444E-8F20-1EAA9C869AF4.jpeg
    F2EF29B9-9599-444E-8F20-1EAA9C869AF4.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 6DA92822-072C-4802-B6F0-959C42E50A50.jpeg
    6DA92822-072C-4802-B6F0-959C42E50A50.jpeg
    282.6 KB · Views: 76

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Just finished setting up my beardies 6x3x3 enclosure.

Quick rundown of the enclosure:
- 6’x3’x3’
- Two vents (placed high on the wall) on the hot side and 2 vents (placed low on the wall) on the cool side.
- Hot side has a 150w DHP and a 70w halogen (I’m still trying to narrow in on the proper basking heat)
- UVB is a Arcadia 14% and about 20” from the basking zone
- several LED lighting strips for general light

Problems I’m having:
- the uvb bulb, which I’ve only been using for 3-4 months, is only giving me readings on my solar meter of 1.5-2 at the basking zone. The website says it should be 5-6 at 20”, so I’m not sure what’s wrong there.
- the air vents seem to proved decent air flow, I can feel cool air flowing in the lower vents and warm air leaving the upper vents. But the hot and cool side ambient temps are very similar, usually within 5 degrees. I’d like the cool side to be a little cooler, but not sure how to accomplish that without effecting the temp on the hot side.
- I seem to be having trouble figuring out my temperature gradient. Currently I have a 150 watt DHP being controlled by a thermostat and a 70 watt halogen with a dimmer (started with a 100watt halogen but switched it be user the cool end was too hot). I basically have 2 temperatures in the cage, the basking spot (trying to figure out what temperature the lizard likes best) and the rest of the enclosure (80-84°). So how can I get better temperature gradient and proper basking temperatures?

Basically just need help getting my heating and lighting setup properly.

If you have questions, please ask.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, just wanna get my little man setup properly
I would lower the UVB to 17 inches and see what you get for readings- I am going to have CooperDragon take a look and see what he says
@CooperDragon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yeah, 4-6 is what I would like. I’m thinking there may be something wrong with my bulb
or the meter--- you need to test the meter out on another bulb - if your getting the same readings from another bulb I am gonna say its the meter -- if they are different then its the bulb -- I think I just confused myself :LOL:

PrinceH4H4T4

Original Poster
or the meter--- you need to test the meter out on another bulb - if your getting the same readings from another bulb I am gonna say its the meter -- if they are different then its the bulb -- I think I just confused myself :LOL:
Just checked with a different lamp and bulb from a different cage. It seemed to read that on properly, so it must be the bulb then?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great to hear you have a new bulb coming that should really help out a lot!
Sometimes bulbs just have a faulty one. Did they exchange it for you? They can
sometimes get damaged in shipping also, but at least you have a solar meter to help
with readings!
He is a lucky dragon with such a large tank!
Is it fairly easy to keep it at stable temperatures?

Tracie

PrinceH4H4T4

Original Poster
Hello,

Great to hear you have a new bulb coming that should really help out a lot!
Sometimes bulbs just have a faulty one. Did they exchange it for you? They can
sometimes get damaged in shipping also, but at least you have a solar meter to help
with readings!
He is a lucky dragon with such a large tank!
Is it fairly easy to keep it at stable temperatures?

Tracie
Yes, thank you. Hopefully it’s just a faulty bulb.

Yes it is easy to maintain stable temperatures. It almost does it too well. Outside of the basking zone, whether that’s 12” to the left or 48” to the right it holds between 80-84°. Would love to get a better heat gradient somehow.

I am wondering if the 150w deep heat projector is do more to heat the ambient air rather than the hot spot. Would love to switch that over with a 100w halogen, but I hate using halogens with thermostats. Even with my herpstat being a dimming thermostat, I hate that it dims and brightens the light so much.

Heaven1

Just a thought, could you add a 'baffle' at the top - like a strip of wood that would divide the areas? Have it reach down to below the higher vents to kind of keep the hot air in that area?
BTW, I love the enclosure! What did you use for the interior walls?

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom