Heating a 4'x2'x2' Zen Habitat

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
When I got my Zen set up, I upgraded to a 150w basking bulb from ZooMed because I was afraid the 100w wouldn't get the basking area hot enough. For background reference, Figment outgrew his basking branch and has for many months now preferred to bask on the floor, while I have searched for a good basking branch replacement. I finally found one. He won't use it unless I place him directly on it.

Anyhoo, the 150w bulb heated up the basking spot on the floor to 103.7F. Figment seemed fine with it, and would either lie right under it or a bit off to one side. Then one day it spiked to 105.6F on the floor and I got nervous and removed the bulb, sticking a 100w back in. I knew a basking branch would be useless in that kind of temp, and I had a branch I wanted to use.

The 100w gets the floor up to 93.7F, which I personally feel is a bit cool. I don't want to adversely impact Figment's digestion. I'm measuring the temp on the basking branch as I write this, and It's reading 94.7 via probe - though as I said, Figment seems to prefer the floor. I have a weird dragon, or I have branches he doesn't care for.

What do those of you with Zens use for heating? Our house is about 72-73F during the day right now, dropping to about 68 at night. We try to keep it about the same in the winter.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Mine both have the Exo Terra 150 watt basking bulbs -- I have a heat gradient of different temps from around 96-92 right now by afternoon its usually over 100 on the top of Blazes tank
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I put the 150 back in and moved the new branch over to clear some space for him to bask... and Mr “I only bask on the floor” has been up on the branch all afternoon! Dragons. Who can understand them!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom