Heat lamp problems

Kenzie2898

Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Hey everyone! Having a few problems with my heat lamp and getting it to be warm enough/staying on. To start, I have a 100w halogen bulb in a zoo med reflector dome. I cant get my 4x2x2 enclosure warm enough on the warm side, it will struggle all day to get to 90. And now it keeps turning off after like 15-20 minutes and wont go back on unless i unplug it and plug it back in. Any advice?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If it's a mvb some of those have to cool down before they will come back on, although I've never seen them shut off (would be due to heat build up at the base). Or it could be that your power strip or timer has a built in slow blow breaker. Those will trip if to much current is being drawn through them and will turn back on after a cool down. Likely your dome isn't rated for the wattage of you bulb or the contacts in the socket have some corrosion. Either could cause an overheat or to much current to be drawn.
To get more heat i would run a couple slightly smaller wattage bulbs set close together in independent domes.

Kenzie2898

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
If it's a mvb some of those have to cool down before they will come back on, although I've never seen them shut off (would be due to heat build up at the base). Or it could be that your power strip or timer has a built in slow blow breaker. Those will trip if to much current is being drawn through them and will turn back on after a cool down. Likely your dome isn't rated for the wattage of you bulb or the contacts in the socket have some corrosion. Either could cause an overheat or to much current to be drawn.
To get more heat i would run a couple slightly smaller wattage bulbs set close together in independent domes.
You think a ceramic heater bulb would help if run alongside the halogen?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
They can but be sure your dome has a ceramic socket, the base of the che's get extremely hot and can melt a socket not rated for them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom