Healthy poop?

EmberRising

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ember
This is my first beardie, she is 5m old, and I’m just wondering if her poops are healthy. They are well formed, but there is always a liquid around them.
22E20B08-B241-4F55-ADE4-BB7BF2C7BA90.jpeg

They are usually pretty stinky too. Sometimes I will smell them and wonder if one my kids just used the bathroom. Today I had to open the windows.

She eats a salad of collards, bok choy, yellow squash, dubias, bsfl, and Repashy grub pie. She has been going through a TON of roaches - like 1500 in 2-3 weeks. Is this normal? She is always alert, but not super active. I’m not really sure what’s normal for a beardie.

Basking temp 109, Reptisun T5 mounted inside tank.

Letty

Beardie name(s)
Letty
Yes, it looks typical of a well hydrated beardie. All those veggies keep thing moving, lol.
hi- i was looking in Health to ask about Lettys poop aswell there is a little tint on the end of the white part- it wasn’t runny- but it does stink i mean man for such a little thing she can sure stink up my room- RN i could smell her poop from outside of the tank. is tht normal?2 B tht stinkie- i get its poop but omgosh its pretty loud
image.jpg

EmberRising

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ember
hi- i was looking in Health to ask about Lettys poop aswell there is a little tint on the end of the white part- it wasn’t runny- but it does stink i mean man for such a little thing she can sure stink up my room- RN i could smell her poop from outside of the tank. is tht normal?2 B tht stinkie- i get its poop but omgosh its pretty loud View attachment 74286
I agree - I can smell Ember’s poop when I walk past the room her tank is in. No idea if this is normal or if it’s related to what she eats. It’s so hard to know what is “normal” and what should be a cause for concern.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I agree - I can smell Ember’s poop when I walk past the room her tank is in. No idea if this is normal or if it’s related to what she eats. It’s so hard to know what is “normal” and what should be a cause for concern.
Their poop will have a smell of coarse but it you can smell it out of the room its pretty potent -- a fecal sample taken into the vet would be a good idea

EmberRising

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ember
Their poop will have a smell of coarse but it you can smell it out of the room its pretty potent -- a fecal sample taken into the vet would be a good idea
Ok - thank you for your advice! If she does have parasites, is it straight forward to give them medication, or do I need to be worried about complications?

Also, the vet told me that they wouldn’t do a fecal test without first checking her out (since we haven’t been to this vet yet). Is there anything I should / shouldn’t allow them to do to her? I feel like I’ve read some horror stories on here. I will definitely bring a fecal sample with me and not have them extract it from her. Anything else?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok - thank you for your advice! If she does have parasites, is it straight forward to give them medication, or do I need to be worried about complications?

Also, the vet told me that they wouldn’t do a fecal test without first checking her out (since we haven’t been to this vet yet). Is there anything I should / shouldn’t allow them to do to her? I feel like I’ve read some horror stories on here. I will definitely bring a fecal sample with me and not have them extract it from her. Anything else?
Get copies of anything done- like blood work x rays - no enemas

EmberRising

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ember
Hi! I thought I would follow up - her fecal showed coccidia, so they gave me ponazuril to give to her. Her poop has been stinking less, although she had a couple stinky ones still. It’s also continued to be pretty moist around the poop. Anyhow, today, I took another fecal sample in to make sure the coccidia was gone, and they found flagellates. They gave me metronidazole for her. I just gave her the first dose of that and will have to go back again in a few weeks to check again. It seems weird to me that they didn’t diagnose both from the first test, but I have never done this before. 🤷‍♀️ I’m hoping this knocks it out. I have been very carefully cleaning her tank and her poop areas.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi! I thought I would follow up - her fecal showed coccidia, so they gave me ponazuril to give to her. Her poop has been stinking less, although she had a couple stinky ones still. It’s also continued to be pretty moist around the poop. Anyhow, today, I took another fecal sample in to make sure the coccidia was gone, and they found flagellates. They gave me metronidazole for her. I just gave her the first dose of that and will have to go back again in a few weeks to check again. It seems weird to me that they didn’t diagnose both from the first test, but I have never done this before. 🤷‍♀️ I’m hoping this knocks it out. I have been very carefully cleaning her tank and her poop areas.
Make sure your using a good disinfectant -- F 10 is really good its a vet disinfectant and can be found on Ebay or Amazon- its concentrate so it will last a long time --- - use only one or two basking pieces ones you can easily wash and disinfect if she poops on them -- no loose substrate -- that way you know your getting it all out of the tank --- otherwise she will re infect again

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom