Head trauma 2 year old Beardie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing today? Have you been able to get foods/fluids into her at all?
We are all pulling for her. I hope she is feeling better soon. Feel free to post more
pictures of her if you would like.

Tracie

HGreptilefoster

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dabs & Speedy
Hello,

How is she doing today? Have you been able to get foods/fluids into her at all?
We are all pulling for her. I hope she is feeling better soon. Feel free to post more
pictures of her if you would like.

Tracie
Yea she has been doing better. Vet wants to def get some X-rays of her. Looking for an estimate of around 100 for them. But the money is tight I have 3 other reptiles to vet :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's good to hear that she's doing better ! Maybe just keep doing what you're doing and forego the Xray for now.

HGreptilefoster

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dabs & Speedy
This is her today! Luckily I got her hydration up with the fluids I’ve been giving her. Appointment 1:45pm.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 89

HGreptilefoster

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dabs & Speedy
No fractures or broken bones. Wants me to use the curved syringe she thought it was a good idea to make it easier.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's encouraging! Hopefully if there is swelling, it will reduce on its own in time and she'll start having an easier time of things. Did the vet discuss any meds or diet focus that might be helpful?

The thing to note about the curve syringes (I mentioned this a bit earlier) is that they can be pretty powerful so be careful not to be too forceful with the plunger. I've found it best to offer syringe food from the side rather than straight on, that way if some of the food comes through too quickly (sometimes there are air pockets or clogs from bigger bits of food etc) then it is more likely to go to the other side of her mouth or out the other side of her mouth than down her throat or into her lungs which can be problematic.

You can snip the end of the syringe to an appropriate size which may make things easier if you can have it be a bit bigger than standard. It might also be easiest to use a commercial baby food puree rather than making your own since the consistency might be more - consistent. That will help prevent the syringe from getting clogged from larger bits of puree. Watering down the mixture a bit may also be helpful for a while. That will just come down to some trial and error to see what works best.

HGreptilefoster

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dabs & Speedy
That's encouraging! Hopefully if there is swelling, it will reduce on its own in time and she'll start having an easier time of things. Did the vet discuss any meds or diet focus that might be helpful?

The thing to note about the curve syringes (I mentioned this a bit earlier) is that they can be pretty powerful so be careful not to be too forceful with the plunger. I've found it best to offer syringe food from the side rather than straight on, that way if some of the food comes through too quickly (sometimes there are air pockets or clogs from bigger bits of food etc) then it is more likely to go to the other side of her mouth or out the other side of her mouth than down her throat or into her lungs which can be problematic.

You can snip the end of the syringe to an appropriate size which may make things easier if you can have it be a bit bigger than standard. It might also be easiest to use a commercial baby food puree rather than making your own since the consistency might be more - consistent. That will help prevent the syringe from getting clogged from larger bits of puree. Watering down the mixture a bit may also be helpful for a while. That will just come down to some trial and error to see what works best.
She still on eye medication. Didn’t discuss any diets.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom