Head trauma 2 year old Beardie

Beardie name(s)
Dabs & Speedy
Hey guys I own H&G’s Reptile Foster. We are a reptile based Rescue out in Louisiana. We have received a 2 year old beardie who has possible head trauma from being smushed between 2 bars in a recliner. I’ve already taken her to the vet. They said that she would have to be syringe fed. Her right eye is closed most of the time and she mostly walks in one direction which is to the left. She’s acting normal, stool is normal, but I’m more concerned if she would benefit staying alive or being humanely put down. My vet wants to give her the chance but I’m not so sure. Maybe we can but I thought I would come here for advice as I’m not the best at figuring out what’s best for them if they seem to be doing ok. I’m thinking about getting a feeding tube inserted so it would be easier to feed her. Any advice. Pictures posted.

Attachments

• 944CCBBB-6D2D-4D95-AD40-2CC6C9A69581.jpeg
    944CCBBB-6D2D-4D95-AD40-2CC6C9A69581.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 406FF982-89C3-47A9-9AD7-79294A2E8975.jpeg
    406FF982-89C3-47A9-9AD7-79294A2E8975.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 108

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Hey guys I own H&G’s Reptile Foster. We are a reptile based Rescue out in Louisiana. We have received a 2 year old beardie who has possible head trauma from being smushed between 2 bars in a recliner. I’ve already taken her to the vet. They said that she would have to be syringe fed. Her right eye is closed most of the time and she mostly walks in one direction which is to the left. She’s acting normal, stool is normal, but I’m more concerned if she would benefit staying alive or being humanely put down. My vet wants to give her the chance but I’m not so sure. Maybe we can but I thought I would come here for advice as I’m not the best at figuring out what’s best for them if they seem to be doing ok. I’m thinking about getting a feeding tube inserted so it would be easier to feed her. Any advice. Pictures posted.
Awww poor baby. Sorry to hear he was smushed

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If she's acting O.K despite the couple of problems she's having then you could give her a chance. She'd be a little bit of special need but if she's not suffering someone can take the little time to syringe feed her if that's what she needs. Have you tried any live feeders with tongs ? I don't know about a stomach tube.

HGreptilefoster

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dabs & Speedy
If she's acting O.K despite the couple of problems she's having then you could give her a chance. She'd be a little bit of special need but if she's not suffering someone can take the little time to syringe feed her if that's what she needs. Have you tried any live feeders with tongs ? I don't know about a stomach tube.
She’s is not interested in moving food at all I’ve tried. She can’t even see it. She can’t open her jaw that wide. I mean I have the time to syringe feed her I just wanted some advice on what our next step would be.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor girl, that is sad she was in an accident like that. I agree, as long as she doesn't seem to
be suffering, she could definitely be a very sweet girl. I realize it is more work to get nutrition into
her but as long as she is receptive & seems to be in good health otherwise, try to stay positive.
Will she lick any food off of her nose, if dropped on by a dropper or syringe?

Tracie

HGreptilefoster

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dabs & Speedy
Hello,

Poor girl, that is sad she was in an accident like that. I agree, as long as she doesn't seem to
be suffering, she could definitely be a very sweet girl. I realize it is more work to get nutrition into
her but as long as she is receptive & seems to be in good health otherwise, try to stay positive.
Will she lick any food off of her nose, if dropped on by a dropper or syringe?

Tracie
I kinda gotta pry her mouth open to start feeding her. she won’t start on her own. Her jaw won’t open that wide.

Last edited:

HGreptilefoster

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dabs & Speedy
For everyone wondering. No she can’t see moving food not even with her one good eye. Doesn’t want to eat it. She walks around in a circle. Always to the left. She does act normal but with feeding she can’t open her jaw wide it’s like sealed shut. She needs help to start feeding the beardie buffet we have. I have to pry her mouth open a little to get her to start licking. Vet recommended 6-7 ml two times a day with a 10 ml in 12ml syringe.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Have you tried using one of the curved syringes to offer food? You'd want to go very slowly with it since they tend to send liquid out with more pressure than normal, but you might be able to cut it to a diameter that is more comfortable for her handle.

HGreptilefoster

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dabs & Speedy
Have you tried using one of the curved syringes to offer food? You'd want to go very slowly with it since they tend to send liquid out with more pressure than normal, but you might be able to cut it to a diameter that is more comfortable for her handle.
I would have to check that out. Haven’t heard of those.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are sometimes marketed for dental irrigation, but should be pretty widely available and not too expensive, especially in bulk. I'd try that first since they are a bit less intrusive than other options.

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Would this work?

Large 100ml Plastic Syringe with Tubing, Carejoy Indutrial Syringes + 80cm(31.5in) Handy Long Hose Fluid Suction Injector for Scientific Labs Injecting, Feeding Pets, Drawing Oil, Fluid and Water https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DXS7ZTV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KJD78KS3TCX6602RKAPG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom