Casey C

Beardie name(s)
Storm
Hey all! It’s my first post on any forum really however I feel it necessary to see if anyone else has gone through something similar.

My Beardie, Storm who is 11 years old recently went through her first clutch of infertile eggs. She only passed 1 before needing surgery to remove the remaining 16 eggs after 8 days of trying to lay in a lay box I built for her. She had 16 eggs removed along with her Oviduct and passing the last one stuck in her Cloaca the night post surgery.
She lost 260 grams of weight during the surgery due to the eggs, blood and fluid build up that was also comprising her. It’s 2 weeks post surgery now and she’s back up a 140 grams that she lost and is eating, pooping and now shedding as per usual. However since the surgery she has developed a swelling on top of her head that as of now hasn’t gone down but seems to fluctuate.
My Vet is amazing and has been really supportive in all of this, answering my calls near every day and calling me to check up on how my Storm is doing.
At first the Vet was confident in that it was just a bit of swelling due to the surgery and it correlated with the swelling caused by the fluid therapy as well. But since then all other swelling has gone down and the bump on top her left side of the head has remained. We went and spoke with our Vet today and we have some anti inflammatory medication to help with it possibly along with any pain it might be causing.
I turn to you all to see if anyone has encountered anything similar in their time with their Beardies and what the outcome was. I’d really appreciate any information as all I can seem to find online is to do with a Head Aneurysm and I’m fully aware of the complications that come with that, I’m looking for any other possible things it could be and would appreciate any information or stories along with it.
(Please note, her left eye has always been sunken due to a previous injury before my care of her in the last 6 years, it hasn’t ever affected her confidence appetite or willingness to run around and no Vet has been concerned with any possible complications it may cause)

Attachments

• 9EF177AB-36F6-4942-ABB9-5E563D322E49.jpeg
    9EF177AB-36F6-4942-ABB9-5E563D322E49.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 123
  • ED120C16-67E8-40FD-A466-C9079FF3DD8A.jpeg
    ED120C16-67E8-40FD-A466-C9079FF3DD8A.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 72
  • 1C04A0A0-DDF9-46DF-AAD6-9ACFA71E3C76.jpeg
    1C04A0A0-DDF9-46DF-AAD6-9ACFA71E3C76.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 67

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey all! It’s my first post on any forum really however I feel it necessary to see if anyone else has gone through something similar.

My Beardie, Storm who is 11 years old recently went through her first clutch of infertile eggs. She only passed 1 before needing surgery to remove the remaining 16 eggs after 8 days of trying to lay in a lay box I built for her. She had 16 eggs removed along with her Oviduct and passing the last one stuck in her Cloaca the night post surgery.
She lost 260 grams of weight during the surgery due to the eggs, blood and fluid build up that was also comprising her. It’s 2 weeks post surgery now and she’s back up a 140 grams that she lost and is eating, pooping and now shedding as per usual. However since the surgery she has developed a swelling on top of her head that as of now hasn’t gone down but seems to fluctuate.
My Vet is amazing and has been really supportive in all of this, answering my calls near every day and calling me to check up on how my Storm is doing.
At first the Vet was confident in that it was just a bit of swelling due to the surgery and it correlated with the swelling caused by the fluid therapy as well. But since then all other swelling has gone down and the bump on top her left side of the head has remained. We went and spoke with our Vet today and we have some anti inflammatory medication to help with it possibly along with any pain it might be causing.
I turn to you all to see if anyone has encountered anything similar in their time with their Beardies and what the outcome was. I’d really appreciate any information as all I can seem to find online is to do with a Head Aneurysm and I’m fully aware of the complications that come with that, I’m looking for any other possible things it could be and would appreciate any information or stories along with it.
(Please note, her left eye has always been sunken due to a previous injury before my care of her in the last 6 years, it hasn’t ever affected her confidence appetite or willingness to run around and no Vet has been concerned with any possible complications it may cause)
@Drache613

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, at 11 years old, Storm just now laid eggs? Amazing, this does happen but, not real often,
with them laying eggs later on in life.
The eye swelling occurred after her surgery, correct & it was not swollen before her spaying surgery?
Could she have had a reaction to the anesthesia perhaps? Is she on any type of antibiotic right now
or just the anti-inflammatory?
It could be some type of aneurism but I hope not. Is she acting completely normal & eating too?

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom