Having trouble being a good owner for my bearded dragon

coal

Beardie name(s)
King
I've had my bearded dragon for about a year almost 2 and I feel as if I'm doing a terrible job. I'm 16 and I feel like he should be given to someone else so they can give him a better home then me. I have a hard time cleaning his tank often and just remembering to do simple tasks for my own beardie. When I first got him I did an amazing job but as time went on we lost money and I lost motivation to do anything. I can stand that I can't even get up sometimes to even take care of him when he needs my help to be able to survive. I can barley clean the tank or do deep cleans for him. He deserves so much better and I feel like I need another opinion. I love him so much but if I can't give him a good home then I want someone else to be able to give that to him

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It sounds like he is not a good pet for you. They need very specific care and if you can't or won't you should rehome him.

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
I feel as though either you're overthinking the situation, or are bored with having him as a pet. I can understand both.

If it's overthinking, remember that you've made it two years and he's (I'm assuming) a healthy beardie. The cage does not need to be perfectly clean 24/7. I have severe depression, and sometimes Thor's poop will stay there for a few days. And sometimes, I'll just do a quick wipe to remove most of the stuff. He only gets a deep clean about once a month. He doesn't need bugs every day. So when you think about it, the care is very minimal. The hardest part is always just getting started. Once you get up and start working on his care, it's easy to finish without feeling overwhelmed.

For his lights, buy a timer. I have one that I can change the times it goes on and off, so I can adjust the amount of daylight Thor gets as he goes in and out of brumation. This has helped so much with not getting stressed about caring for Thor. Put a water source close to the warm side of his cage, it helps manage humidity so it doesn't get too dry. Then all I do is fill the bowl when it gets low, with a clean out once a week. The rest pretty much takes care of itself.

If you just don't want to care for him at all though, just rehome him. Please keep his care up until you do though.

coal

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
King
I feel as though either you're overthinking the situation, or are bored with having him as a pet. I can understand both.

If it's overthinking, remember that you've made it two years and he's (I'm assuming) a healthy beardie. The cage does not need to be perfectly clean 24/7. I have severe depression, and sometimes Thor's poop will stay there for a few days. And sometimes, I'll just do a quick wipe to remove most of the stuff. He only gets a deep clean about once a month. He doesn't need bugs every day. So when you think about it, the care is very minimal. The hardest part is always just getting started. Once you get up and start working on his care, it's easy to finish without feeling overwhelmed.

For his lights, buy a timer. I have one that I can change the times it goes on and off, so I can adjust the amount of daylight Thor gets as he goes in and out of brumation. This has helped so much with not getting stressed about caring for Thor. Put a water source close to the warm side of his cage, it helps manage humidity so it doesn't get too dry. Then all I do is fill the bowl when it gets low, with a clean out once a week. The rest pretty much takes care of itself.

If you just don't want to care for him at all though, just rehome him. Please keep his care up until you do though.
Thank you this makes me feel a lot better, he is very healthy and I do really wanna take care of him. I was probably just overthinking the whole thing, I'll definitely follow your advice though, I really love him so I'll do whatever I can to give him the best home possible. Thank you so much

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
How are things going?
Thank you this makes me feel a lot better, he is very healthy and I do really wanna take care of him. I was probably just overthinking the whole thing, I'll definitely follow your advice though, I really love him so I'll do whatever I can to give him the best home possible. Thank you so muc

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
Hi, I definitely had a similar mindset and understand what you’re talking about. At that point some days (or most of the time) even the thought of getting up and getting him food is stressful. I would say though a bearded dragon is relatively low maintenance once you have the right set up and tools, and sounds like you already have all that. Since he’s been taken care of well please don’t put too much pressure on yourself.

Here’s some tips I can think of:
1. Using a chart/calendar app to figure out what you need to do for him each day. It’s not those super complicated and stressful planning, just write down a. feeding veggies/bugs b. bathing c. taking out poop etc. —it WILL help you keep track of things and be less stressful, trust me. You’ll also find that you actually just need to do two or three little things for him each day.

2. Having a timer for the lights. Maybe find one on Craigslist if money’s tight? If your family members are willing to, they can just turn the light on and off according to their schedule, literally just need to lift a finger.

If things are getting to the point where you have to rehome him, I hope you know it’s ok. You did what a responsible owner would do. Things CAN get better. Best of luck!!

Jacqssss

I've had my bearded dragon for about a year almost 2 and I feel as if I'm doing a terrible job. I'm 16 and I feel like he should be given to someone else so they can give him a better home then me. I have a hard time cleaning his tank often and just remembering to do simple tasks for my own beardie. When I first got him I did an amazing job but as time went on we lost money and I lost motivation to do anything. I can stand that I can't even get up sometimes to even take care of him when he needs my help to be able to survive. I can barley clean the tank or do deep cleans for him. He deserves so much better and I feel like I need another opinion. I love him so much but if I can't give him a good home then I want someone else to be able to give that to him
Must of been hard admitting that so well done for that. And yes he should be rehomed to someone who can care for him daily

Letty

Beardie name(s)
Letty
Thank you this makes me feel a lot better, he is very healthy and I do really wanna take care of him. I was probably just overthinking the whole thing, I'll definitely follow your advice though, I really love him so I'll do whatever I can to give him the best home possible. Thank you so much
sounds like u got a few things going on- & being ur age is not easy- ur trying to find ur way & it can b pretty stressful-then money factor sucks totally 💯 even as an adult u go threw up n downs BUT i find taking care of my Letty helps me get threw some hardship nites! she makes me smile, i love whn she just stares at me- like Who R U? Wht R U?she is trying to figure me out as i am her..!! remember wht did u want ur BD for? & pull urself up & take care of him.. it’s life experiences & how you get threw them that shape us into the people we are. Wht kind of person do you wanna b ask yourself tht. 1 who cares & helps or 1 tht dont? maybe u just are lazy.. lol nah but fr both my kids are lazy- we got 3 dogs & 2cats & they don’t want to help- so they are lazy.. if thts the case thn i might wanna rehome him or get up & just do it.. 2 kinds of people in this life 1 THE DO’ers & 2 the DONT’ers.. which one do u really wanna be? these r questions to ask you self - then Do Wht U Gotta Do- BUT make a decision 🤔🧐💬💯

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom