hatchlings dying

Status
Not open for further replies.

3SMARAIS

Original Poster
Hi everyone,
I have a question, I am a new to breeding bearded dragons. I have read everything I could find online before I started.
On the incubation of the eggs all went well and all the eggs hatched, but when the babies was transferred to the enclosure 3 babies went from running around in the evening to just laying there stiff in the morning and the other 9 was just doing well. I searched everywhere and could not find why this is. Now my second clutch has hatched and again 3 babies just died within one day from transferring them to the enclosure but the other 9 again looks healthy and fine.
My setup for the enclosure is a soft reptile mat for the flooring, temp on the basking area is 38degC with uvb light ass well and the rest of the enclosure is 30degC
large bowl of water, chopped veg in a feeding tray.
They were all drinking water droplets from a clean syringe.
Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong I cant stand losing one more precious soul.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry to hear about the babies ! What morphs are they and can you post good pics of a group of the babies and also the entire enclosure ? How long did they incubate, although that usually that can range from just above 50 days, up to near 90 days [ very rarely ] and the babies may still do well. I would take the large water bowl out, it's good that they are drinking droplets from a syringe.

3SMARAIS

Original Poster
Sorry to hear about the babies ! What morphs are they and can you post good pics of a group of the babies and also the entire enclosure ? How long did they incubate, although that usually that can range from just above 50 days, up to near 90 days [ very rarely ] and the babies may still do well. I would take the large water bowl out, it's good that they are drinking droplets from a syringe.
Thanks for the reply.
I believe the adults are HET trans or Het hypo as we were told, they incubated for 56 days at a temp of 29 deg C. one of the babies is a translucent with complete black eyes and blue belly, there are 3 whitish ones that looks like hypo with clear nails, the other looks like normals. Sorry in the picture I could get only 3 that want to sit still. Any advise will be much appreciated as I searched everywhere and still cant see what went wrong.

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 97
I don’t know much about breeding or why the babies weren’t making it, but I learned a good recipe to feed weak/ small hatchlings who aren’t doing well from a really awesome breeder. I have rescued a lot of really sickly babies and this stuff is magic.

Unflavored pedialyte
Critical Care Carnivore
Reptaboost
Repashy Beardie Buffet and/or Grub Pie
Baby food ( with beardie safe fruits/ veggies like sweet potato, apple, squash, mango)

Add a little of the powders about evenly and baby food and mix with the pedialyte until it’s a thin paste that can be fed with a syringe. If you drop it on their nose they usually eat it, or to start you can pull down their lip gently and put a little there and they will start eating.

Right now I have two rescued silkie babies that weighed two grams and weren’t moving and they are now 4 grams and doing awesome.

Good luck! I hope they start doing better !

3SMARAIS

Original Poster
I don’t know much about breeding or why the babies weren’t making it, but I learned a good recipe to feed weak/ small hatchlings who aren’t doing well from a really awesome breeder. I have rescued a lot of really sickly babies and this stuff is magic.

Unflavored pedialyte
Critical Care Carnivore
Reptaboost
Repashy Beardie Buffet and/or Grub Pie
Baby food ( with beardie safe fruits/ veggies like sweet potato, apple, squash, mango)

Add a little of the powders about evenly and baby food and mix with the pedialyte until it’s a thin paste that can be fed with a syringe. If you drop it on their nose they usually eat it, or to start you can pull down their lip gently and put a little there and they will start eating.

Right now I have two rescued silkie babies that weighed two grams and weren’t moving and they are now 4 grams and doing awesome.

Good luck! I hope they start doing better !
Thanks will keep this recipe for future use it looks like it will come in handy. But these that did not make it did not even look weak they were running around and drinking water in the evening and the next morning they were dead.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, cute little guys ! You can have them tested for atadenovirus which can kill babies very quickly. One of the mods. here works with the lab that is studying it, her user name is Drache613. She can do testing for a very low price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom