Has anyone used gypsum sheets in their tanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
One of the stores where I have found random pieces of slate is carrying similar pieces of gypsum. It is a clear, sheet crystal, and at first I thought it was calcite. It is a form of calcium sulfate and I found these pic of MASSIVE crystals of the same type, http://www.karst.org/pgrotto/Crystalcaves.htm Has anyone used this with dragons, and is anyone aware of any impurities that would make it a possible hazard for used as flooring?

:study: :study: :study: :?:

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
I am not aware of a problem, chemically. Gypsum is pretty flaky, though, be very careful your beardie can't break off pieces and eat them.

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you for the note, neighbor! This is solid crystal, but very soft, will scratch with my thumb nail, leaving a very fine powder. I have a small chunk I have been playing with. I'll post a pic of the chunk after doing battle with pb again. It does not break without having a little force applied, more than a beardie simply running across it. Would it be worth having in the tank as a minor calcium source, or would it possibly be a problem for other reasons? :study: :study: :study: :?:

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
I wouldn't encourage the beardie to lick the rock, he may take a liking and start to chew.

Stick it in for looks, but if you see fragments or chewing.... :wink:

We went for long drives alot when we were little. One time we were somewhere in the central valley and we found a bunch of giant gypsum crystals just...there... on the side of the road. I think I still have a piece. I think......

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you for your input in helping me sort out this question! :D This isn't the flower type, rose gypsum, beautiful, but which I wouldn't consider at all, as there are so many surfaces to grab hold and try to eat a chunk. It's the flat sheets most like the form in the center of this photo,
gypsum-1.jpg
At this point, I think I will get a piece next week and try it in either Nef's or Thorn's tank, just to see how it holds up. If either of them tried chewing on it, rather than the random lick, i would be VERY surprised!

We did a lot of those drives when we were little, too, mostly Santa Cruz Mountains, but up to the Sonora area as well, and my dad was something of a rock hound. There are fossils and many other bits and pieces still around here. My mom was knowledgeable about all the native plants, and my sister came home a few times with a snake hiding in her jacket, part of my start with reptiles! :laughing6:

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
I was picturing gypsum slabs, too. I forgot about the roses. :lol: give it a try, it sounds like it'll look interesting. As part of the decor I have a blue taxiway light cover. THAT looks cool.

Fossils in Sonora? Worth a lookie! That's the general region we got the green rocks from. How is it I never managed to find any snakes? Mom must have kept a better leash on me than I knew.... I only recently starting finding them; first with a young garter snake in Sebastapol, followed by an irate western rattler. Neat-o!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom