has anyone seen this?

Rocketgirl_kels

This was my 5 year old male hypo zero… he had to be euthanized last week.

I’ll try to keep this short.
Last Saturday found a massive hard lump in the right side of his beard. Looked inside his mouth and see the large obstructive round mass as shown in the photos.

My usual reptile vet wasn’t available until Tuesday so on Monday I saw a different vet that a couple people had recommended to me.

He tried to aspirate fluid off the mass to see what was inside and it ended up being just blood. He took samples as well as tissue samples under sedation and sent us home and the bleeding has seemed to stabilize.

Overnight it must have begun to bleed again because I found my guy with a large amount of blood in the morning.

Rushed him to the original vet I was supposed to see and was there right at opening.

They couldn’t get the bleeding under control and the area was near a main artery… my guy wasn’t doing well and we elected to do euthanasia.

I’m looking for answers. I’ve found hematoma VS aneurysm. I just want to know if anyone else has had anything similar happen?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 8F3B6D48-6E17-4202-8FD4-439BD3C0AE7C.jpeg
    8F3B6D48-6E17-4202-8FD4-439BD3C0AE7C.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 45EE6981-365B-481D-A00B-E11D84CBE6B8.jpg
    45EE6981-365B-481D-A00B-E11D84CBE6B8.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 71
  • 4F0AF3E5-C701-4E60-AEFA-7F28A9F311A5.jpeg
    4F0AF3E5-C701-4E60-AEFA-7F28A9F311A5.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 67

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, how horrible for you both! There have been several cases the same or similar to that,
which pertained to both conditions unfortunately.
Honestly, I don't think anyone really knows what causes this to happen. Sometimes an injury
of some type, causing the area to become damaged or weakened.
Did the vet say what he thought might have been the culprit, or he wasn't really sure?
It sounds like it cropped up so quickly, poor thing I am so sorry you lost him like that.
My condolences to you. :cry:

Tracie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Oh im so sorry, condolences 😢

Rocketgirl_kels

Original Poster
Hello,

Oh no, how horrible for you both! There have been several cases the same or similar to that,
which pertained to both conditions unfortunately.
Honestly, I don't think anyone really knows what causes this to happen. Sometimes an injury
of some type, causing the area to become damaged or weakened.
Did the vet say what he thought might have been the culprit, or he wasn't really sure?
It sounds like it cropped up so quickly, poor thing I am so sorry you lost him like that.
My condolences to you. :cry:

Tracie

Thanks for the reply Tracie.
Although both vets have told me there was nothing I could do - I can't help but think "what if I hadn't taken him to that first vet to explore the mass which initiated the bleeding". Maybe if it was a hematoma from an injury perhaps the blood would have resorbed? However, I just don't know if a trauma would cause a hematoma THAT big. I am still waiting on the report to come back on the tissue that we sent it. If I find out it was a cancer or something like a hemangiosarcoma I will be much more at peace. It's just that this mass appeared and within two days we was gone. If the vet had not started cutting in to it... what might have happened? I guess it could have burst on it's own which would not have been a pleasant death, but like I said, what if it re absorbed? If it were an aneurysm then he wouldn't have had much chance.

I've looked on every facebook group and beardie forum and I can't find anything like this at all.
Anyways, sorry for the rant. I'm just having such a hard time not blaming myself or asking the "what ifs'"

-kelsey

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Kelsey,

Oh my, I do know exactly the feeling, loss of a dragon is a powerful emotion. I'm sorry, it isn't your fault.
It is possible for them to reabsorb blood from a hematoma but not sure how much. Something caused
an event of that size so I hope that the tissue report will help to give some answers for you.
It is unfortunate to lose them so suddenly & out of the blue like that. It is hard to try & determine what
exactly happened really without doing some type of necropsy. Even then, they may not know why it even
happened. To me, it sounds like plain old bad luck. I know that doesn't really help but try not to blame
yourself. I am quite sure he knew just how much you loved him!
I am so sorry for your loss.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom