Handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnzey71

Hey everyone just a few questions on handling a baby beardie. So I’ve had my beardie for almost 2 weeks and my girlfriend and I are starting to bring her out of her enclosure. However, she reacts differently each time to us going in to get her. Sometimes she just runs around almost likes it’s a game, other times she puffs up and gets mad, and other time she doesn’t care. Once we get her out she has no problem with us holding her and she loves to run around my bed and my room. I just wanted to know if I’m doing everything right.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey everyone just a few questions on handling a baby beardie. So I’ve had my beardie for almost 2 weeks and my girlfriend and I are starting to bring her out of her enclosure. However, she reacts differently each time to us going in to get her. Sometimes she just runs around almost likes it’s a game, other times she puffs up and gets mad, and other time she doesn’t care. Once we get her out she has no problem with us holding her and she loves to run around my bed and my room. I just wanted to know if I’m doing everything right.
Dragons are all different for adjusting to their surroundings- some can take longer some dont- you can put a piece of your clothing or a fleece blanket something w/ your scent on it place it in their hide so they get used to you please approach from the side not above they have a third eye on top of their heads for predators I would hand feed her worms like small super worms or bsfl they are great staple feeders that will help her learn to trust you that is a good way to getting her learn to the handling and patience as well correct basking temps and uvb are also very important- they control the overall health and behavior-

Burnzey71

Original Poster
Dragons are all different for adjusting to their surroundings- some can take longer some dont- you can put a piece of your clothing or a fleece blanket something w/ your scent on it place it in their hide so they get used to you please approach from the side not above they have a third eye on top of their heads for predators I would hand feed her worms like small super worms or bsfl they are great staple feeders that will help her learn to trust you that is a good way to getting her learn to the handling and patience as well correct basking temps and uvb are also very important- they control the overall health and behavior-
Lighting and temps are all fine. I just don’t understand why sometimes she’s fine with it and other times she gets very defensive. But even if she gets defensive and she does come out she’s extremely happy. Crawls all over me and jumps around. When I try to put her back in her tank she doesn’t want to go. If she gets mad should I just leave her be?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Lighting and temps are all fine. I just don’t understand why sometimes she’s fine with it and other times she gets very defensive. But even if she gets defensive and she does come out she’s extremely happy. Crawls all over me and jumps around. When I try to put her back in her tank she doesn’t want to go. If she gets mad should I just leave her be?
She's very young and I would hate to see you lose her under something they are very quick it could be she likes the freedom but it could also be the temps in the tank and / or your uvb that is extremely important please go over your uvb your using brand and bulb and how your getting your basking temps they should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- those are the most accurate and the uvb a long tube fixture that is what is recommended here

Burnzey71

Original Poster
She's very young and I would hate to see you lose her under something they are very quick it could be she likes the freedom but it could also be the temps in the tank and / or your uvb that is extremely important please go over your uvb your using brand and bulb and how your getting your basking temps they should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- those are the most accurate and the uvb a long tube fixture that is what is recommended here
I use a digital probe and I don’t have a tube UVB just a dome bulb

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
Burnzey it all comes down to the personality of your Beardy and patience. Eventually they come to associate you with food arriving so that helps the taming process. Start off by just getting your hands in the viv often. If she allows you to pick her up then do it in the tank but dont remove her until she is comfortable being picked up. Once you get to that stage remove her gently but keep her low to the ground in case she tries to jump and make a run for it.

Try not to approach her from above - they have a photo-sensitive 'third eye' on top of their head which they use to detect predators approaching from above. If she scuttles away from you inside the viv don't chase her - give her time to settle before attempting to pick her up again. Its all about trust and security.

The best UVB set up in the world is not going to make your girl any tamer

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom