Handling new beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDK241

Hatchling Member
So I've only had Emerson for a little while now but his previous owners got rid of him because he wasn't very friendly. He has no problems with me putting my hands in the cage and moving things around or taking food out of my hands but if I go to touch him or try to pick him up he freaks out. I always try to scoop him up from the side and not grab him from the top but it doesn't work. If I do manage to pick him up he tries to jump off my hand right away. I can lay my hand right next to him and he doesn't even flinch or look at it. He always comes right to the front of the tank when I sit next to it and even if I'm across the room and he sees me looking at him he'll come over to the glass. I'm just not really sure what to do. I sit next to his tank and talk to him every day and he loves to watch my dogs play. They were guessing he's about 8 months old.

The dogs could actually make things worst as he will see them as predators and fear he could be a meal. I had a young beardie I took in a few weeks back that was similar to yours. I would handle him when he was on the cooler side either 1st thing in the morning or right before bed time when I turn the lights down. I also filled up a tub with warm water every 2-3 days let him soak for a bit, took him out and let him sit in a hand towl to dry as I held him. 3 weeks into it and my 3 year old can hold him. Now it may take you more or less time but whatever you do be consistent. Good luck,
Frank

KDK241

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I will definitely try holding him when he's a bit lazier, if I ever find that time. I swear he wakes up ready to roll :) The dogs are locked away when I try and take him out and he really doesn't show any fear towards them. He puffs up if I put my hand in the cage while he's eating but the dogs have gone right up to the tank while he was eating and he just keeps on eating. I know we'll get there eventually and time isn't a big deal. I just want to make sure I don't do more harm then good during the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom