Halogen lighting

pkuzda12

Hi guys can anyome advise me how to heat a 40 gal tank for beardie with halogen flood.lights.. if it is safe and specifications.. the basking bulbs 150w total has driven my utilities sky high in new york... i heard halogen is more cost effective.. right now cool side low 80s hot side high 90s.. basking about 105.. if someone can tell me if the cost efficiency is true and if its safe.. wattage setup etc id appreciate it.. thanks

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Unfortunately you are going to need to just play around with different bulbs/types/brands until you find what works. You can definitely use halogen bulbs, but it still will be trial and error in finding the right bulb. The fixture you are using it in plays a role too, along with how much heat you are losing out of the enclosure.

At 22 cents per kilowatt hour, a 150w bulb running 12 hours a day should only cost you 40 cents per day to run, or about $12 a month. A 75 watt bulb would cut that in half to $6 a month assuming you find a 75 watt bulb that works for you.

If you have an open top tank, or one with screen mesh, it wouldn't hurt to drape a towel over the bulk of the exposed areas during the winter months to help keep heat in.

-Brandon

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom