Guy compares uvb with reader.. thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Hi all, I am actually getting my new enclosure today with T5 fitted inside w/reflector- it was on my agenda to upgrade for a long time because my current size is too small and my girl is due for the upgrade anyhow, but what really prompted me to urgently action this was this video here:

https://youtu.be/baSGAzSKDOQ

This guy compares all the types of lights including mercury vapor bulbs, compact coils, and tubes

He tested the reptisun t5 HO and t8 both inside and on mesh and the result shocked me; he was getting seemingly better results with coils than he was with the reptisun florescent tubes- I had a t8 fitted inside but I decided I need to hurry and upgrade to the t5 (which is being now being fitted inside as well)

Any thoughts?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am not a fan of coils --- seen to many things on this forum alone w/ the 13 watt bulbs sold- the 26 watt doesnt seem as bad but for the most part I still would not use it- I dont know the full dynamics of the coils only that CFL's should not be used --- the outcome w/ coils is horrible -- and the safer ones to use are the long tube fluorescent ones seem to be the best --- w/ certain brands of course --

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Thanks for that both of you guys, it seems technology is Changing I do regret the t8 but bygone be bygones- my girl has her new 4ft setup with the t5 reptisun w/reflector so I'm keen to see how she reacts to the change

FhXoqeP.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I skimmed though this video.

Things I noticed
1) he is failing to point the sensor DIRECTLY at the UV source - so his readings are very poorly made ( the sensor is NOT presented NORMAL to the source ==> inaccurate source UV flux readings result
2) he is allowing reflected UV flux to enter the sensor , this error is called specular error.

Hence - his entire video is nonsense as are his conclusions.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Should it not be considered though that the dragon won't always be facing the perfect angle either ..? I dont know.. I'm glad I upgraded from t8 to t5 though I've definitely already seen more livelihood out of my beardie since (and she pooped a perfect formed poop unprompted by a bath- was her second one this week normally she does once a week so seems a good sign)

Obviously though its been long established t5>t8 before this video so that's a given of course

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Cuttlefishh":4cegb0dj said:
Should it not be considered though that the dragon won't always be facing the perfect angle either ..? I dont know.. I'm glad I upgraded from t8 to t5 though I've definitely already seen more livelihood out of my beardie since (and she pooped a perfect formed poop unprompted by a bath- was her second one this week normally she does once a week so seems a good sign)

Obviously though its been long established t5>t8 before this video so that's a given of course

The point of using a calibrated scientific instrument like a Solarmeter is to use it in way that is going to produce UV band flux measurements that are reproduceable and accurate and meaningful to anyone else with the same version of instrument.

Is perfectly clear to me the guy in the Utube hasn't any scientific training and is clueless.
Never even bothered trying to get a good measurement ( sensor pointed directly at the source ( source on the "normal" to the sensors surface.
He has no concept of view irradiation view factors , surface absorbance , surface reflectivity & scattering , specular errors , and has zero chance of reproducing the exact same set of measurements if wants to compare over time as the phosphors degrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom