Gulping + Occasional wheezing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catwu20

Beardie name(s)
Ginger
Hey y'all, I've noticed that my beardie has started "gulping" recently (like a swallowing motion). It doesn't happen when she's alone, only when she's in sort of stressful situations. For example, when we pick her up or move her around. What does this mean? Does this mean she's just nervous? I've never seen this behavior before.

Additionally, when she was scratching her head with her back legs today, she made a loud wheezing noise.

I'm afraid both of these point to a URI. She's had one before, but recovered. She's also shedding on her face and back. Is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable during this time? Her immune system might be weakened.

Thank you :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey y'all, I've noticed that my beardie has started "gulping" recently (like a swallowing motion). It doesn't happen when she's alone, only when she's in sort of stressful situations. For example, when we pick her up or move her around. What does this mean? Does this mean she's just nervous? I've never seen this behavior before.

Additionally, when she was scratching her head with her back legs today, she made a loud wheezing noise.

I'm afraid both of these point to a URI. She's had one before, but recovered. She's also shedding on her face and back. Is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable during this time? Her immune system might be weakened.

Thank you :)
Please post a video of the dragon gulping -- the wheezing is only when she scratches her head - scratching the head w/ shed is normal -- the wheezing would be constant for a RI - what kind of UVB are you using? coil or a long tube fixture -- what is the humidity in the tank ? Basking temps ? how are you getting them?

catwu20

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ginger
Please post a video of the dragon gulping -- the wheezing is only when she scratches her head - scratching the head w/ shed is normal -- the wheezing would be constant for a RI - what kind of UVB are you using? coil or a long tube fixture -- what is the humidity in the tank ? Basking temps ? how are you getting them?
Hi Karrie, I'll try to capture a video tommorow when I handle her again. I'm using the arcadia 12% T5 UVB. Humitidy is at 50%, but the vet said it is ok and a lot of humidifiers don't work above 50%. Basking spot is at 36C, cold is at 20C.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi Karrie, I'll try to capture a video tommorow when I handle her again. I'm using the arcadia 12% T5 UVB. Humitidy is at 50%, but the vet said it is ok and a lot of humidifiers don't work above 50%. Basking spot is at 36C, cold is at 20C.
Sounds good w/ the pic --- the temps not so good - cool side of the tank should be 80's F daytime the 20 C is more for night time - your UVB does it have a reflector is it in a hood/ fixture or just the bulb ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Could your girl have some clogged nostrils from shedding perhaps? A video of her behavior would
definitely help out. They can have a hard time breathing when their face is shedding if the shed clogs
up their nostrils.
As Karrie suggested, try to raise the basking just a little bit, in case she could be developing a
respiratory infection.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

catwu20

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ginger
Here is the video, it’s something like this. I think she completely shedded her face (she’s shedding her belly now) and there’s no stuck shed in her nose. I’m using the reptisun T5 HO terrarium hood, which I believe comes in with a built in reflector. I place it 12 inches above basking over mesh.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    4.8 MB
  • B12F0961-E167-433E-B2D5-EC52F28480B9.jpeg
    B12F0961-E167-433E-B2D5-EC52F28480B9.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 82

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Here is the video, it’s something like this. I think she completely shedded her face (she’s shedding her belly now) and there’s no stuck shed in her nose. I’m using the reptisun T5 HO terrarium hood, which I believe comes in with a built in reflector. I place it 12 inches above basking over mesh.
Did you keep the 5.0 or replace the bulb w/ the 10.0? If you have the 10.0 distance would be 8-10 directly above the basking decor

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing today? Has her breathing gotten any better now since she shed her face?
Sometimes they can get retained shed in the nose that causes breathing issues. What type of thermometer
are you using to measure the temperatures?

Tracie

catwu20

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ginger
Did you keep the 5.0 or replace the bulb w/ the 10.0? If you have the 10.0 distance would be 8-10 directly above the basking decor
Hi Karrie, I have the 5.0. Would my current distance be ok?

catwu20

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ginger
Hello,

How is your girl doing today? Has her breathing gotten any better now since she shed her face?
Sometimes they can get retained shed in the nose that causes breathing issues. What type of thermometer
are you using to measure the temperatures?

Tracie
She's breathing about the same, still gulping. She was climbing something yesterday and I heard a wheezing noise. I'm quite worried - I set up a checkup with the vet on their earliest possible date which is the 16th. I'll raise the temperatures in the meantime.
I am using a digital probe thermometer.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi Karrie, I have the 5.0. Would my current distance be ok?
Ok I would recommend the 5.0 be changed out to the 10.0 bulb if your fixture is 24" the 5.0 needs to be inside the tank or no obstruction or no screen distance 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor -- you can keep the fixture on top w/ the 10.0 bulb distance 8-10 inches- the screen is blocking 30% of the rays and the 5.0 is not strong enough to go thru it

catwu20

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ginger
Ok I would recommend the 5.0 be changed out to the 10.0 bulb if your fixture is 24" the 5.0 needs to be inside the tank or no obstruction or no screen distance 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor -- you can keep the fixture on top w/ the 10.0 bulb distance 8-10 inches- the screen is blocking 30% of the rays and the 5.0 is not strong enough to go thru it
Oh sorry, I misunderstood haha. I have the arcadia 12% T5 at 12 inches away. Still trying to get the hang of the lighting vocabulary. Is that similar to 10.0, and acceptable?

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
that is a great bulb. i use it myself but have it mounted inside because i have a solid top. distance from bulb to basking inside is 12-15". if you have it on top of a screen, i believe the distance from bulb to basking is 8-10" because the screen blocks some of the uvb.

catwu20

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ginger
that is a great bulb. i use it myself but have it mounted inside because i have a solid top. distance from bulb to basking inside is 12-15". if you have it on top of a screen, i believe the distance from bulb to basking is 8-10" because the screen blocks some of the uvb.
Thank you for the suggestion, I'll raise the decor to 8-10" inches away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom