[GUIDE] Waxworm breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
SUCCESS ..... I checked my canister tonight and I saw 1 small worm under up against the plastic about 1/2 inch below the substrate.

so, with 25 adult worms I got 1 baby };-)

I put the canister on a heating pad so hopefully more will appear

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Dangit..

I just got back from the petstore I was going to buy a container of waxworms from, and they said they just stopped carrying them last week!! :evil:

-Brandon

EXOTIXSA

Hatchling Member
Good news!

I saw on waxworm wriggling around in the substrate last night. He must have been about 1cm in length. I haven’t seen any others maybe they’re just hiding?

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I saw a couple of really tiny ones in the substrate. I now have a heating pad wrapped around the container.

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MrWhite":3alqoyu0 said:
I saw a couple of really tiny ones in the substrate. I now have a heating pad wrapped around the container.

heating the canister by wrapping a human heating pad and setting it to medium did the trick. I see a bunch of small worms in the substrate now.

trinity040400

Juvie Member
I really like the idea of breeding anything I can but does it really end up being worth it if you can only feed the a few a week? I have never used waxworms so I dont know to much about them.

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
trinity040400":1mpk8uk7 said:
I really like the idea of breeding anything I can but does it really end up being worth it if you can only feed the a few a week? I have never used waxworms so I dont know to much about them.

I doubt it's worth it, it's just fun :wink:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
MrWhite":cgsqeett said:
I doubt it's worth it, it's just fun :wink:

Exactly why I wanted to try it.
If anything I could at least say i've done it :mrgreen:

-Brandon

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
well, looks like I have a crap load of waxworms now. The heating pad really did the trick. now I have to figure out how to separate them from the substrate and the substrate is starting to smell like soggy oats.

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I added nylon leggings to the guide, even though the holes in the cover are really small, the worms can still get through them and escape. Put the nylon over the opening and then put the cover on. This should prevent any escapees.

BTW, the worms are really making a mess of the inside of the container, lots of webbing, kind of smells gross :puke:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hmm, I finally got the honey, the glycerin, everything I need. Except, I have whole oats instead of bran! :banghead: LOL

Maybe I will try just using half of my waxworms with the oats, just in case it fails epicly.

Do you think it would be best to grind up the oats to make them into a type of powder, or leave them whole?

-Brandon

Cath1068

I am not sure if the whole oats would work. I really dont see why not though. I got about 20 moths scattering about my waxie bin and in the wax paper so I am hoping that they are laying eggs. The cool thing I found about them is that they dont spin a cocoon. They just stay in the substrate partially covered and turn right in front of you full exsposed..... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom