Gryphon Is Miserable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,
I moved with my Gryphon July 14. He is not adjusting. He has a new pen but it is furnished with all of his old stuff...rocks, logs, posters etc. His lighting and temps are what he prefers, 98 hot 70 cold respectively; same T5HO. All Gryph does is cower and HIDE. I try to hand feed super worms, dubias, meal worms, greens, squash. He barely eats. He does not bask. I don't understand why he is so terrified of our new home and his new pen. It is very quiet here. No one else lives here or handles him.
I sing to him hold him baby him tell him it's ok. He used to have such a bold personality. Now he does not even look me in the eye. I don't know what to do. He is slowly dying. Any advice would be appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Wow hes really taking the relocation stress hard--- can you post pic of him and the tank please - how long has he been like this? a month? Is he by a window that he can see outside? Is his beard black ? No basking I am assuming?

Bobolynx1226

Original Poster
Hi, I struggle to upload pics to this website; I would have to change Image/pixel?? I do not have time for this. Please excuse my abruptness, but this isn't about picture time. The temps, lighting, environment are EXACTLY the same, except for... New tank (5 ft length 30 in width 3 ft height) Custom built from Custom Cages. I put all of his rocks, logs, hides, etc... in the EXACT same places in his new viv. We moved July 14th. New house. Very quiet. It has been 6 wks. since the move. Gryph barely eats; only when I hand feed and then sometimes not for 2-3 days. I give him a warm bath everyday and try to feed him puree baby food because he hasn't pooped in in 16 days. He is very lethargic. He cowers and hides. He has NOT lost weight. There are no lumps in his belly when I feel for something odd. He LOOKS healthy in every aspect; it is his BEHAVIOR, loss of appetite, and NO POOP that worries me.
My question today is do you think the move may have triggered brumation?
In August? In hot, humid Pennsylvania?

yonose12

Just a shot in the dark: 3ft is a pretty tall tank, Is the uvb mounted on the top and if so does he have something he can climb on to get within 12-15 inches? I would say it's possible he's going into brumation. Not all beardies brumate at the same time and sometimes the outside temperature/season seems to have nothing to do with it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it is very possible that the move has caused the behavior. It happens with a moderate number of beardies and there's no real reason that can explain why one dragon does like this while another settles in quickly. It could trigger a brumation phase ,whether it does or doesn't, he will be fine. I've had this happen before and they can handle this with no problem. He will eventually poo and will snap out of it at some point. And as the other poster mentioned, be sure that your uvb is mounted inside the tank so it can project in to the basking area since the light is so high up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom