Growth on exterior of nose - looking for answers with vet

kr.gracd

Original Poster
Holy cow.

Ok, you're working with a vet, that's good.
I assume the vet tested the growth... performed scrapings and sent them off to be tested before prescribing harsh oral anti-fungal medications? It didn't look fungal at all to me based on the first picture.. but hopefully it was actually tested..

Can you post a picture of your setup? The first picture looks like a burn or an injury that ended up getting infected.
What brand is your UVB. 50watt's isn't really a common wattage

-Brandon
Here are some pictures of my setup for her. I'm doing research to make my husband build her a much larger tank, I haven't made up my mind how I want her light setup to be in the tank. :)

The left side with the rock is her nighttime heat, and the right side has her daily heat. The felt/wicker on the left side is blocking her view of my other bearded dragon, since he's a male.

Attachments

• 20220908_064307.jpg
    20220908_064307.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 20220908_064326.jpg
    20220908_064326.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 66

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Please, please, please get rid of that night time bulb. Red and blue light are horrible, they can damage their eyes for one and for two they disrupt their sleep. Especially blue. Blue light is the band of light that triggers the body to stop producing melatonin which in turn wakes us up. It's the same for them. If she needs heat at night please use a ceramic heat emitter, they make heat but zero light. Beardies like it cool and dark when they sleep. They don't need any heat unless your home drops below 68 at night.

Commissaar

I hope you get answers soon her cute face reminds me of my baby scaley, she has the same orange glow and cheeky eyes

I agree re swapping night bulbs for ceramic heat emitter. You can get them fairly cheap and have them on a timer for night. I have it on if it goes below 15-20c.

kr.gracd

Original Poster
Please, please, please get rid of that night time bulb. Red and blue light are horrible, they can damage their eyes for one and for two they disrupt their sleep. Especially blue. Blue light is the band of light that triggers the body to stop producing melatonin which in turn wakes us up. It's the same for them. If she needs heat at night please use a ceramic heat emitter, they make heat but zero light. Beardies like it cool and dark when they sleep. They don't need any heat unless your home drops below 68 at night.
I will do that right now, thank you for the information! I will get a ceramic heat emitter too, just in case

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad to hear that she is in good spirits though, that is promising. I hope that the biopsy gives
answers. As long as the anesthesia is given in proper amounts, then most of the time there are no
side effects on them other than drowsiness, etc which is very normal.
I would definitely try the raw honey, to see if there is any other improvements.
Ceramic heat emitters are very good & don't disturb sleep patterns either. Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

kr.gracd

Original Poster
Hello everyone - I really appreciate everyone thinking of Lucillia, and giving me advice. I wanted to post a quick update. Attitude wise, she seems as healthy as ever. Its difficult to tell since I'm always looking, but I feel that her nose is doing a bit better. It almost seems to be healing underneath, and it doesn't seem quite a swollen or as tender. I've been using raw honey since Friday. It takes a bit of time to get a good covering on her nose since its smooth, but she enjoys the little bits she can lick off.

Additionally, I feel that the honey is going to help keep her healthy, as I'm almost certain she has eggs again. They are not going to be fertilized, and I'm surprised she has them, but I suppose she loves to surprise me. It won't be the first time she's laid eggs (it'll be her third time) but I really wish she was fully healthy. But it could also explain why she was not healing well at all - because she was also developing eggs.

So she'll be going back into Repti-chips so she can dig and be happier to lay them. I am excited - I got her a new tank, hopefully it'll be shipped soon. Its 48x24x24.

I've attached a few pictures of her nose. Fingers crossed she is doing better and it's not in my mind.

Attachments

• 20220912_150045.jpg
    20220912_150045.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220912_150252.jpg
    20220912_150252.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220912_150317.jpg
    20220912_150317.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 65

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello everyone - I really appreciate everyone thinking of Lucillia, and giving me advice. I wanted to post a quick update. Attitude wise, she seems as healthy as ever. Its difficult to tell since I'm always looking, but I feel that her nose is doing a bit better. It almost seems to be healing underneath, and it doesn't seem quite a swollen or as tender. I've been using raw honey since Friday. It takes a bit of time to get a good covering on her nose since its smooth, but she enjoys the little bits she can lick off.

Additionally, I feel that the honey is going to help keep her healthy, as I'm almost certain she has eggs again. They are not going to be fertilized, and I'm surprised she has them, but I suppose she loves to surprise me. It won't be the first time she's laid eggs (it'll be her third time) but I really wish she was fully healthy. But it could also explain why she was not healing well at all - because she was also developing eggs.

So she'll be going back into Repti-chips so she can dig and be happier to lay them. I am excited - I got her a new tank, hopefully it'll be shipped soon. Its 48x24x24.

I've attached a few pictures of her nose. Fingers crossed she is doing better and it's not in my mind.
Are you still using the T 8 UVB? And I recommend NO repti chips -- one wrong move ingesting and it could cause all kinds of damage to the inside of her ---

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa

It looks like it’s healing. Definitely not as big (swollen) as it looked before.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I agree it looks better than it did, keep up the good work.

kr.gracd

Original Poster
Are you still using the T 8 UVB? And I recommend NO repti chips -- one wrong move ingesting and it could cause all kinds of damage to the inside of her ---
I know what you are concerned about - I don't feed her in her tank while she's on the chips to try and cut down the risk. But if she doesn't have a substrate she can dig in while she has eggs, she gets really stressed. Do you have any advice of a substrate I could have her on so she can dig? And yes, still the T8 UVB.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I know what you are concerned about - I don't feed her in her tank while she's on the chips to try and cut down the risk. But if she doesn't have a substrate she can dig in while she has eggs, she gets really stressed. Do you have any advice of a substrate I could have her on so she can dig? And yes, still the T8 UVB.
Please get the T 8 inside the tank-- and if there is a clear plastic cover on the fixture please take it off - what brand of bulb are you using? How old is the bulb? Please get the distance directly above the basking decor approx 6-8 inches

kr.gracd

Original Poster
Please get the T 8 inside the tank-- and if there is a clear plastic cover on the fixture please take it off - what brand of bulb are you using? How old is the bulb? Please get the distance directly above the basking decor approx 6-8 inches
I'll be able to get the light inside the tank with her new one when it arrives, hopefully by next week. The bulb is only 2 months old at this time. ZIlla brand, 15 watts. The distance is good. And thankfully when I purchased the fixture I was told to remove the plastic piece then.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I'll be able to get the light inside the tank with her new one when it arrives, hopefully by next week. The bulb is only 2 months old at this time. ZIlla brand, 15 watts. The distance is good. And thankfully when I purchased the fixture I was told to remove the plastic piece then.
Ok shes not getting much UVB if any at all -- the screen is blocking 30% of the rays and T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen and the Zilla brand is not real good --- what are you getting for a UVB?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I concur, it does appear to be healing, which is very surprising! I hope that it continues to reduce in
size because it has got to be bothering her to some extent.
For now, as Karrie suggested, do try to mount the tube bulb on the underneath side of the screen top.
If you can, work on upgrading the tube UVB to either the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12% when you
get a chance. At least get her started on some UVB which is unobstructed, to work on more UVB
exposure.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom