Gravid injured beardie needs sanitary lay box

Crowley

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Crowley
Hi guys! So Crowley is 9.5 years old and we just found out he was a girl while at the vet for a serious tail injury a few weeks ago. We also learned that she is gravid! She has definitely been gravid before (I may have been in serious denial about feeling little eggs inside her, I was like no, that’s just poop) so she has always reabsorbed. However she has an injury where her tail well, came off. A decent length of it. She has scale loss and it looks rough, but worry not, we are now under the care of a very reputable reptile vet. She gets betadine soaks, antibiotic shots, metacam, and Silver Sulfadiazine. She is healing well, eating well, but it is a slow process and we will know in a few weeks if amputation is the route to go. But that’s not what this is about! The point is, she has a very, very open wound.

So she is gravid. I don’t think she will lay as she never has before, but she is clearly restless. I want to make her comfortable, as well as make sure she doesn’t injure her tail further or get stressed. Her terrarium (about 42” by 24”, all proper lighting and temps) is now almost completely empty except for a basking rock & brick covered with paper towels. Her substrate at the moment is paper towel for sanitary reasons but it’s covering her typical slate.

I need to build a lay box that is just as sanitary! No loose substrate obviously, although I know that would be ideal minus injury. I have shredded up paper towels and placed them in the corners and she shows no interest, so I think I need to put an actual box in there. So please, I need some advice! And maybe some reassurance haha.

1. Does the box need to be covered or more like a tray? I’m thinking of making a makeshift cave out of a box and filling that with paper towels, but of course I’m all worried about her tail scraping along the walls as she tries to get out.

2. I’ve read some places that it should be damp? This would likely be a breeding ground for bacteria in her scenario, right?

3. How can I make this box more appealing? I worry she won’t realize what it’s for and continue to restlessly run around :(

4. Do y’all have another suggestion aside from paper towel? The vet suggested newspaper but.. I want something a little cleaner.

5. Is there any other way I can support her to make her more comfortable? She is getting extra calcium (no d3, t5 HO 5.0 UVB is why) and bugs (nutrigrubs, waxworms, dubia) and cabbage/bok choy/strawberry/bell pepper/etc salads. I plan on going to the store for more staple-like greens but I am out right now. Would she like warmer temps? Cooler? Certain vitamins she needs more right now besides calcium?

6. How about temps for the lay box? Should I put it on the cool side or the warm side?

7. Dimensions y’all recommend? Do they prefer smaller boxes or nice spacious ones?

8. Do I like, stick her in there? I want her to be able to leave, right? Like a little mouse hole? I don’t want her to panic. She’s a panicker.

That’s all I can think of now. I’m sorry if I’m making a big deal out of something small, I just feel like I’m in a difficult position with her tail injury. Please help me figure out this situation. I really appreciate everything y’all do!!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry to hear about Crowley's injury and unique situation. You have the right idea, shred a bunch of paper towels and use an upside down box with part of one side cut out as a lay box. The box should be about the size of a boot box, could be a bit smaller but not much. Can you post a pic of her tail and also her wound ?

Crowley

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Crowley
Hi AHBD! Good to see you! It's been a while since I've uploaded pics on here so hopefully I'm doing it correctly.

WARNING! GRAPHIC IMAGES!!!
!
!
!
!
!

This is when it initially happened, on April 18th. We went to the vet on the 21st.

crowleyfirst.jpeg

Here she is on the same day, you can see the discoloration in her tail :(

crowleybody.jpeg

I took the following photos last night actually, April 30th. Please note that I do my best to remove as much SSD before her betadine soaks. I try to avoid hurting her as much as possible. This images are taken after the soaks (I believe, but now that I'm looking at it again it doesn't have that signature betadine color?), pre-SSD. I am tracking the scale loss; the doctor said that the scales looked unhealthy and would likely come off.

crowleyfront.jpeg

crowleyother.jpeg

How do you guys think it's healing? I send pictures to the doctor and he said that it'll look worse before it looks better, so I'm holding out hope. In her restlessness today she worked off a few more scales :( I gave her a soak and more SSD right away. She is pooping and eating well.

How this happened: I'm not sure. I feel enormously guilty. Looking at the severed part of the tail, it didn't turn black or anything. It was white like how she normally turns when she is shedding... And then I see it's come off. I am gone for half the month sometimes and she is looked after by my parents, so I fear it slipped by me.. The swelling leaves us (doc and I) to believe there is a bacterial infection as well, hence the antibiotics. The doctor is unsure as well. We wonder if there was an injury; did she get her tail stuck behind the heavy sharp rock and panic?? I just don't know. I take full responsibility though. I will do whatever it takes to make this horrible event more comfortable for her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, poor little girl. It actually looks like it's healing O.K though and hopefully that's the case. If all goes well the infection won't spread. There is the chance that the worst part is underneath creeping up where it's unseen but I doubt that's happening, it's just a possibility. Don't blame yourself, it must have been a freak accident if there isn't another dragon or animal that bit it off. You got her to a vet and are doing everything right so far. :) It may be hard to believe but the tail doesn't seem to feel too much pain, that's why she has no black beard and is eating well.

Crowley

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Crowley
Aw, poor little girl. It actually looks like it's healing O.K though and hopefully that's the case. If all goes well the infection won't spread. There is the chance that the worst part is underneath creeping up where it's unseen but I doubt that's happening, it's just a possibility. Don't blame yourself, it must have been a freak accident if there isn't another dragon or animal that bit it off. You got her to a vet and are doing everything right so far. :) It may be hard to believe but the tail doesn't seem to feel too much pain, that's why she has no black beard and is eating well.
No other animal contact :) Thank you SO much for the reassurance!!! I have been so worried about progress and whatnot and emailing the vet like every three days hahaha. I’m glad the pain is minimal too, she’s a little sweetheart and I would hate for her to suffer any more. Thank you for the comfort and the speedy response!! I can always rely on this forum for any support and questions. You guys are truly the best <3

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom