Gravid female reabsorbed eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My female bearded is 16 months old. She was previously housed with her mate, whom I bought together. She was acting very weird and was huge, so I had a feeling...lol. Brought her to my local reptile store and he said she was gravid. Told me probably 4 to 6 weeks. I immediately set Samson up in his own tank and bought an incubator. I have been impatiently waiting ever since. This is about 8 weeks since he told me. Today she is looking deflated. She is not in any distress, has been eating daily, like a pig actually. She did go through one night that I thought for sure was the night. She was doing this dance and shaking her tail and digging in her lay box, which is located in her tank. Alas, nothing. This would be her first clutch, and from the reading that I am doing, it is possible that she reabsorbed them. Do you think this is accurate? I would think that if she was egg bound she would still be large and possibly very distressed (I know I would be). Any suggestions? Comments? Advice? Thanks so much.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
From what I can gather which isn't much on the topic, if the dragon is too young, she will reabsorb the eggs. She shouldn't be mating yet.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
WestCoastDragons":1glpbu36 said:
" is possible that she reabsorbed them."
No
This is in contradiction to a few other searches I have come up with. :?
just trying to learn myself. :wink:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
From what I understand, and have read a few times, the females can reabsorb the eggs if they are not given a suitable area to lay them. Usually they will just lay them wherever, but some might hold on to them and get eggbound, and some might absorb the eggs over time.

-Brandon

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I have been reading on this since I first seen it as it was new to me. I have found numerous sources stating
"Breeding bearded dragons before maturity can pose a health risk to the female. If her bones are not fully developed, she will not be able to lay her eggs easily. Eggs may be reabsorbed into the female's system or create blockages."

Beardednoob":253fa1z7 said:
I have been reading on this since I first seen it as it was new to me. I have found numerous sources stating
Eggs may be reabsorbed into the female's system or create blockages."

I have "read" mealworms can eat through a dragon from the inside out. Does this it make it true?
I read allot in the Enquirer at the checkout line at the supper market. Just because it is written somewhere dose not make it fact. If you can give good evidence of this I will happy to retract anything I have said. In the meantime I will follow what my experience has shown. All the best.
Rik

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Gravid females can indeed reabsorb eggs. One member here puppytoes72 (Michele) had a female that did indeed absorb her infertile eggs even though she had done everything right. The whole process caused all sorts of problems for poor Jojo including a drastically high cholesterol count and other damaged organs. So, unfortunately, it can happen.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
diamc":yv7t2mjl said:
Gravid females can indeed reabsorb eggs. One member here puppytoes72 (Michele) had a female that did indeed absorb her infertile eggs even though she had done everything right. The whole process caused all sorts of problems for poor Jojo including a drastically high cholesterol count and other damaged organs. So, unfortunately, it can happen.
That is terrible. Was Jojo young at the time or had she reached maturity?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's hard to remember her exact age when it started but she was only 2 yrs old when she had to have her put to sleep because of tumors on her liver. I'll see if I can find the thread and post the link here if others are interested as it was all detailed.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I stand corrected, Jojo was about 3 yrs old when she started having problems and acting differently. She was put to sleep at about 4 yrs old. I know Michele wouldn't mind if others learned from it because she and Jojo went through so much over this whole ordeal. :( Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=108633&start=0

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
diamc":3od90vrb said:
I stand corrected, Jojo was about 3 yrs old when she started having problems and acting differently. She was put to sleep at about 4 yrs old. I know Michele wouldn't mind if others learned from it because she and Jojo went through so much over this whole ordeal. :( Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=108633&start=0
That is one of the saddest posts I have ever read. :cry:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It was all very heartbreaking for sure. Michele and I have been close friends since she joined the forum. In case you can't read it all, page 25 is where she got the results when the vet opened her up and explains about the damage the reabsorbed eggs caused. Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom