Grainy orange urate

Ignotum

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ignotum
Hello Damian,

You are welcome, no problem!
The vitamin powder is fine, it is most likely not the culprit for drying him out. The calcium powder
sometimes can be too much for them, if too much is used for feeding, etc.
If he doesn't like the butternut squash, try acorn squash or even sweet potato, he might like that.
Yes, this type of issue is pretty common in reptiles. Try to increase his oral fluids some if you can.

Let me know how he is doing!

Tracie
I will give those a try this week.

I actually was able to get him to the vet yesterday. The blood work has just come back and his uric acid levels are 13 and white blood cell was 11,000 or something. They said it was quite high and quite high uric acid level.

I am thinking it could possibly be very early signs of gout? The vet wants to treat him with a fluid injection and some antibiotics. The antibiotics doesnt sound right to me. If his kidneys seem to be having issues antibiotics dont sound right. Do you agree?

I am also thinking about really lowering his protein intake. What do you think? He is drinking water but it seems i may have to keep him on the syringe. He also isnt interested in tart cherry juice. Are there any other options? Im going to post pictures of the blood work when i get it later today or tomorrow. Unfortunately this vet is only open 9am-noon and 230-330 daily.

I appreciate any advice and insight you may have

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
As far as getting them to drink, i mix in a little fruit juice. Just make sure it isn't citrus. If you look around you can find some with apple, grape cherry

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Bah i accidentally hit post lol.
Anyway you can fond fruit punch flavors without citrus. I use an eye dropper and just give them as much as they will drink.
If you have trouble getting your beardie to start drinking you can place your fingers over his head and thumb all the way around to the opposite side and gently pull down his lower lip. Just squirt a little on his gumd and teeth and he should start lapping it up.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Damian,

I concur....with high uric acid levels, that probably is not a good idea to give antibiotics if his
kidneys are slightly compromised. If his white blood cell counts are high, he may have some
type of infection but it can also be elevated from stress if his kidneys are having a hard time.
For now, reducing his protein intake to 25 insects or less weekly is a good start.
How old is your dragon again?
Try to give some water with the black or tart cherry extract to water it down some since he
doesn't seem to like it.
Is there any swelling going on yet, or not?
Definitely if you can, post a copy of the blood test results here, or you can email them to me,
if you would like.

Tracie

Ignotum

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ignotum
Thanks Tracie. He is 8 months old. Very young. I am not sure why he is having this issues, i can only think i messed up and gave too much protein. I could say maybe his front legs have a bit of swelling, i will grab a picture and post it. Maybe his hind legs too. But he moves very well.

I will reduce his protein significantly and give as much fluid as i can. Im on my way to get the bloodwork now and will post it as soon as im back.

Thank you for all your help
Damian

Ignotum

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ignotum
20220623_172947.jpg

Attachments

• 20220623_172935.jpg
    20220623_172935.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220623_172927.jpg
    20220623_172927.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 20220623_172926.jpg
    20220623_172926.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 62

Ignotum

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ignotum
Both of his front legs do look a bit swollen like that. I just thought it was normal but i guess not? I think he looks quite healthy overall. Im going to post the bloodwork in a minute as well.

Is there any medicine i should be giving him? I am limiting his protein as suggested and upping fluids. He is being quite difficult the past 2 days and really doesnt want to take any fluids. He is just clenching his jaw and letting the fluid leak down his face. Do you have any tips for this behavior?

I am really quite worried about him and i am not sure what to do. Whether to seek advice from another vet or not.

I am posting the bloodwork here next

Ignotum

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ignotum
Here are his blood results

Attachments

• 20220623_211438.jpg
    20220623_211438.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 20220623_211442.jpg
    20220623_211442.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 61

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Damien,

I did get your email, thanks! So, I will email you as well.
How is he doing today? Did the vet not mention gout or does he think just an infection, etc?
Will he not drink water from his snout if you dripped the water onto his snout with a dropper,
instead of trying to force his mouth open? They can be extremely stubborn when trying to get
extra fluids into them.
Decreasing his protein should help a lot for him right now. Were you able to get him started on
some black or tart cherry juice yet?
The puffiness isn't too bad but his uric acid level is too high so we do need to get that down,
absolutely. He does look alert & healthy though right now!

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom