Gout surgery for beardies?

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Hello, I've posted on here a few times now about my beardie with gout. We've decided for the moment that he is having good days and all of his labs came back good so we are no longer thinking of putting him down any time soon as long as he does not decline of course. Thos has me thinking of longer term and what I can do for him. I've read that there can be surgery done on the joints to decrease pain and increase mobility. I was wondering if anyone had info on that such as mortality rate, recovery and of course price. I've taken out his hide and put towels down on his floor, which i change daily, so he can't hurt himself. Also is it common for them to experience back and neck stiffness? He seems to have that s the most debilitating thing from this. He does not have MBD according to the exotic vet. Thanks in advance!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't heard of a surgery that treats gout. Is that something your vet brought up as an option? The most common long term treatment I know of is to reduce dietary protein and start on allopurinol to keep the uric acid levels down.

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Scooby
Hello, I've posted on here a few times now about my beardie with gout. We've decided for the moment that he is having good days and all of his labs came back good so we are no longer thinking of putting him down any time soon as long as he does not decline of course. Thos has me thinking of longer term and what I can do for him. I've read that there can be surgery done on the joints to decrease pain and increase mobility. I was wondering if anyone had info on that such as mortality rate, recovery and of course price. I've taken out his hide and put towels down on his floor, which i change daily, so he can't hurt himself. Also is it common for them to experience back and neck stiffness? He seems to have that s the most debilitating thing from this. He does not have MBD according to the exotic vet. Thanks in advance!
I have heard of surgery to remove the crystals...that being said, the surgery is usually for full grown dragons. They open up the limb and clean out said crystals.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If he is doing pretty well then there really isn't any reason to do a surgery to scrape the joint
capsule. It has been done but unless it is really needed there's no reason to put him through
that right now.
As far as the stiffness goes, that can happen with gout or other bone type of issues. Have you
tried serrapeptase liquid or feeding silkworms to help with joint stiffness?

Tracie

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Hello,

If he is doing pretty well then there really isn't any reason to do a surgery to scrape the joint
capsule. It has been done but unless it is really needed there's no reason to put him through
that right now.
As far as the stiffness goes, that can happen with gout or other bone type of issues. Have you

Tracie
This is the 2nd time I'm hearing of serrapeptase so I think ill grab some. He was eating silkworms but since he got the mass in his throat he will only take critical care manually and nothing else. How do I use the serrapeptase? Mixed into food? How many mg etc. Thank you as always toure a great help! If it wasn't for the help from you and others here I'd have probably put him down not knowing he could make it. Yea the surgery I was asking about for the mobility reasons. At this rate I'll have to keep a towel on his floor and no raised hide forever. I use a square or slate for basking but it just lays on the towel. We put his hide in at night sometimes but take it out when he gets up so he doesn't fall again.

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Hello,

that right now.

Tracie
Hello, just seeing this response sorry. Ok that sounds good. I'm going to try the serrapeptasebut not sure how much to give etc. I found some liquid online and ordered that.
just found a post on here from 2017 that you answered. This is exactly what mine has in his throat! Does this help to understand what he has going on? I haven't been able to find anything else similar even.

Post in thread 'Dark lump in beardies mouth' Dark lump in beardies mouth | Beardie ER

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The serrapeptase can be used daily or every other day, as needed. It can be given with food,
or apart from food either way. How is he doing today, is he managing pretty well on the gout
medication?

Tracie

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Hello,

The serrapeptase can be used daily or every other day, as needed. It can be given with food,
or apart from food either way. How is he doing today, is he managing pretty well on the gout
medication?

Tracie
Here is what I ordered (pics below) I happened to read it contains ethenol. Is it still ok? If not I can probably evaporate the ethanol. How much do I give? He's doing pretty good. He has an appointment the 11th for his biopsy. Did you see that post I included that has a pic of the same thing he has that you replied to in 2017? Its identical to what he has.
Screenshot_20230502_022645_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20230502_022640_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The ethanol should be fine. He wont need much, daily. You can give 4-6 drops per day
or every other day. I will check out your thread too I probably have missed that.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Hello,

The ethanol should be fine. He wont need much, daily. You can give 4-6 drops per day
or every other day. I will check out your thread too I probably have missed that.
How is he doing today?

Tracie
Thanks again! This is that other thread from 2017 that you answered. The one in this pic has the same thing as mine.

Thread 'Dark lump in beardies mouth' Dark lump in beardies mouth | Beardie ER

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Hello,

Just checking in to see how your dragon is doing today, still improving I hope?

Tracie
He's pretty stiff but I've been giving him serrapeptase for the last few days so hopefully that helps soon. Thanks for asking.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom