Gout in baby bearded dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I’m so sorry to hear about your baby. Back in the summertime I got a Beardie from PetSmart and had the same problems. A lot of this depends on where you get them from and their genetics as Tracie said. She gave me a lot of good advice when it came to Hades before he passed. Now I have Meeko who is from a reputable breeder and the difference between the two has been like night and day. Hope your little guy ends up doing okay, I know how hard it can be to find a good reptile vet.

tjette

Original Poster
Drache613":33tm68ea said:
Hello,

Oh dear, I fear they gave him too much medication.... I hope that didn't hurt his kidneys.
He is too small for a blood test but if he shows no sign of infection he doesn't need any
antibiotics. Do you know which antibiotic he was given?
I wouldn't give anymore antibiotics, especially since it appears that he has already developed
gout.
Can you get some black or tart cherry juice for him? I would try to get some into him daily,
around .5ml to 1ml either straight or watered down some.
As suggested, keep him around 75-80 overnight to help boost his system.
The flukers orange cube is calcium loaded I believe. He likely has not had enough UVB &
his system hasn't absorbed calcium properly. I would stop using the orange cubes for the
crickets & use just plain water, by using a sponge for moisture. Just place a tray or lid in the
bin you keep the crickets in, with a wet sponge but avoid having any standing water.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

He is actually doing much worse since the vet has given him the meds. He hasn’t eaten in two days and won’t even stand anymore. I have gave him some water with a dropper today.

I just don’t understand how he could have even developed mbd if that’s what he has, the uvb is the T5 High Output over the entire length of the cage. He should be getting plenty :/

I got some tart cherry juice for him and have been trying to get him to drink what I can of it.

I’m afraid if he doesn’t get better soon I may just have to put him down as the other member mentioned. To me it just feels like i’m fighting a losing battle due to genetics. I love the little guy and I hope he improves.

Also he has not grown very much since I got him, he seems really stunted. He has only shed each part of his body once since I got him in September. What could be the cause of this?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry. The vet never should have given antibiotics to your dragon, who clearly
has gout or at least gout syndrome.
Try to get his system flushed out if you can, to get the antibiotic effect negated. Do you
have any activated charcoal? If not, try using parsley, mint, basil, & cilantro mashed up
& or blended to give to him daily with water to help draw out toxins. You can mix the black
or tart cherry juice in with that also.
He most likely doesn't have metabolic bone disease but probably gout. He has probably
developed gout from too high of protein or poor genetics. Or, the antibiotics could have
been too much for him, causing renal damage. I am wondering if the vet gave ivermectin
dewormer instead of panacur, could you possibly find that out?

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

tjette

Original Poster
colleen1999":21ovqwnh said:
Hello!

I’m so sorry to hear about your baby. Back in the summertime I got a Beardie from PetSmart and had the same problems. A lot of this depends on where you get them from and their genetics as Tracie said. She gave me a lot of good advice when it came to Hades before he passed. Now I have Meeko who is from a reputable breeder and the difference between the two has been like night and day. Hope your little guy ends up doing okay, I know how hard it can be to find a good reptile vet.

Hey Colleen, what was your deciding factor of putting him down? I’m so sorry to hear about that. I just don’t want him to keep suffering if he is always going to have problems.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your baby doing today? Have you been able to get some extra fluids into him at all?
I hope he is basking & has a little bit of an appetite, poor thing.
Please keep us posted on him!

Tracie

tjette":x6uwt0ul said:
colleen1999":x6uwt0ul said:
Hello!

Hey Colleen, what was your deciding factor of putting him down? I’m so sorry to hear about that. I just don’t want him to keep suffering if he is always going to have problems.

He started deteriorating really fast. It started with gout, then impaction where he couldn’t move his back legs, and then he developed a RI. He ended up falling off things and onto his back all of the time. You’ll be the best judge when it comes to your little guy! I hope he is doing better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom