got new basking rock, is it too close to lamps?

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
Hey everyone!
So the basking rock that came with the enclosure broke, and today we bought another one that's a bit bigger than the old one. However, being that it's bigger the basking surface is closer to the bulb. I can't find my ruler but it looks to be around 6-7 inches. We use a digital thermometer (NOT a probe) and with the old rock it read between 88 and 90 degrees, and the pet store said that the surface can be up to ten degrees higher than the digital thermometer says.

Now that the basking surface is closer to the bulb, the temperatures are higher. The thermometer started off reading 93, but it got all the way up to 96, close to 97, and he was spending more time at the cooler side of his enclosure. Also, when I put my hand on the basking rock, it is really hot. I'm just worried that we're going to burn him, and I really don't want to do that. It won't be pleasant for anyone involved.

Just want to know if this is normal, and maybe he was moving to the cooler side because he wasn't used to the hotter temperatures? And he was on his new rock, he was basking there for a bit, but he was spending more time on the cool side. Just want to know what's going on and if I need to be worried.

I'll post a picture here tomorrow if neccessary, he's sleeping now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey everyone!
So the basking rock that came with the enclosure broke, and today we bought another one that's a bit bigger than the old one. However, being that it's bigger the basking surface is closer to the bulb. I can't find my ruler but it looks to be around 6-7 inches. We use a digital thermometer (NOT a probe) and with the old rock it read between 88 and 90 degrees, and the pet store said that the surface can be up to ten degrees higher than the digital thermometer says.

Now that the basking surface is closer to the bulb, the temperatures are higher. The thermometer started off reading 93, but it got all the way up to 96, close to 97, and he was spending more time at the cooler side of his enclosure. Also, when I put my hand on the basking rock, it is really hot. I'm just worried that we're going to burn him, and I really don't want to do that. It won't be pleasant for anyone involved.

Just want to know if this is normal, and maybe he was moving to the cooler side because he wasn't used to the hotter temperatures? And he was on his new rock, he was basking there for a bit, but he was spending more time on the cool side. Just want to know what's going on and if I need to be worried.

I'll post a picture here tomorrow if neccessary, he's sleeping now.
You want a digital probe to get the actual surface basking temp and if its feeling too hot for you to touch then its too hot --- you will need to raise the lamp or move the rock to a different spot for him and get another piece of decor for basking - we normally recommend no closer than 6 " for the basking lamp - post a pic of the tank please

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If he won't bask on his own , thats a indicates a problem. You need the digital probe thermometer like Karrieree said. The ir gun read the surface temp, not the temp of the light. The probe type reads the temp of the light. If it is to hot for him to bask, he likely will develop digestive issues, they need the heat from basking to process their food.

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
Here is a picture of his cage
3DC07EA7-470D-4B3C-825D-55C7D821F402.jpeg

When I came home he was basking on the lower part of the rock that was still hot but not as hot as the top. Then when I took him out for a bit and put him back in his cage, he ran to the top and spread himself out up there. Here is a picture of just the hot side of his cage.
EA8D0CED-078C-454A-B31E-470F5AC87474.jpeg

I also don’t have access to a digital probe right now. We just bought these digital stick-on ones because we thought this is what everyone meant by digital thermometer. However I may be able to borrow an infrared thermometer from someone.

But if he’s eating and pooping normally, should I worry?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Here is a picture of his cage
View attachment 77495
When I came home he was basking on the lower part of the rock that was still hot but not as hot as the top. Then when I took him out for a bit and put him back in his cage, he ran to the top and spread himself out up there. Here is a picture of just the hot side of his cage.
View attachment 77496
I also don’t have access to a digital probe right now. We just bought these digital stick-on ones because we thought this is what everyone meant by digital thermometer. However I may be able to borrow an infrared thermometer from someone.

But if he’s eating and pooping normally, should I worry?
Hes going to sit off to one side to bask if the rock is too hot --- I would get the probes when you can - Pet Smart and Petco carry them but you can usually get them cheaper on line from places like Pangeareptiles or pet mountain or even dubiaroaches.com carries them -- IR guns are good but do not read off of certain materials -- hammocks being one -- certain materials throw them off that is why its good to have the probe gauges

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
Hes going to sit off to one side to bask if the rock is too hot --- I would get the probes when you can - Pet Smart and Petco carry them but you can usually get them cheaper on line from places like Pangeareptiles or pet mountain or even dubiaroaches.com carries them -- IR guns are good but do not read off of certain materials -- hammocks being one -- certain materials throw them off that is why its good to have the probe gauges
Thanks I will check it out when I can. Is there any brand you would reccommend or are they all good?

Also it's fine if he basks on a lower part of the rock? Like if he's eating and pooping like normal I shouldn't be worrying, right?

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
Update:
Herman is eating and pooping exactly how he should be, and he started basking on his own near the top of the new rock. I guess it really was just a matter of him adjusting to the new decor!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I love the name Herman, very sweet. I agree, it looks acceptable on the distance since it is on top of the screen he can't touch the bulb. What is the total wattage you are using for all 3 basking
bulbs? The digital type of thermometer you are using now is likely not measuring the basking
spot directly, but is measuring the ambient temperatures. You are getting a digital probe or a temp
gun now, they work very well & are very accurate.
He will move areas on his rock, to adjust his body temperature as needed.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom