Got a ton of meds, but how to I administer them???

Status
Not open for further replies.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Ok so Cheryl sent me a ton of stuff :) thank god she is amazing. But she didn't send anything saying how as when and how much of this stuff to give daisy. So I have probiotic powder, bee pollen powder, liquid vitamin b complex, 10% panacur plus ( for worms), and 5% toltrazuril ( for coccida). If anyone couple help me I would like that. Like can I give her a dose of each in one day or what. Thanks.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
So no one helped me so I just gave we all the meds today. I hope that is ok. I also bleached all her rocks and stuff to help get rid of the infection. She is on paper towels for a couple days as well. I will change them everytime that she goes to the bathroom.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
Here's the link on Cheryl's site to dosing instructions for the products she sells: http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=9 :)

Technically only the Panacur and Toltrazuril are actual meds; the others are supplements (sorry lol, just had to add that! <3). I am not aware of any interactions between the supplements and the meds, except that the probiotics should be given 6 hours after meds in order for the probiotics to be most effective. It won't hurt Daisy if the probiotics and meds are given together, but the probiotics won't work as well to boost the "good" flora in her tummy. :)

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
How much does Daisy weigh in grams? We'll need to know this in order to tell you proper dosages for everything. Also, did she actually test positive for coccidia and pinworms through a fecal test? If so, then we'll also need to know how high the coccidia count was. The Toltrazuril and/or Panacur shouldn't be used unless it's actually been confirmed that Daisy has those parasites.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
She weights 100 grams. Oh dang. She didn't tell me that. She sent me all the meds with no fecal test. She said that it sounds like she has worms or coccidia so I have giving her the meds. I started Saturday night what should I do :/

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
So you gave her the meds Saturday and Sunday? How much did you give her? If she weighs 100g then the Panacur dose should've been 0.05-0.10mL/cc. The Toltrazuril should've been dosed at 0.04mL/cc. If she's had two doses of both then that is more than enough, especially if you're not sure she even has the parasites. Typically for the Panacur, you would give one dose and then wait a week before you give a second dose. If you actually confirm that Daisy has some kind of worms then you can dose her with the Panacur again in a week. I just hope the dosages you used were correct or Daisy could be in trouble. Please use the probiotic powder on everything you feed her for the next two weeks. If she won't eat her food, then mix the probiotic powder with water or babyfood and give it to her with a syringe. This will be incredibly important in order to restore her good gut flora and prevent fungal issues from developing. She will also need a lot of extra fluids for the next two weeks, as these medications can really dehydrate your dragon. Please soak her every day in 95 degree water for 15-20mins. Also try to give her as much oral fluids as possible. Unflavored Pedialyte (like for human kids) mixed with half water would be good too.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Ok do I had her the right amount of meds. So that's good. I will make sure that she is getting enough water. When I get home today I will bath her and give her water from the spray bottle (which is how she likes to drink water silly daisy) and I will make sure that she gets the probiotic on all her good. I was putting in on the crickets and collard greens.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
I thought you were going to send some lovely poo my way, my favorite thing to get in the mail. The meds are both very mild and I can't remember the last time I checked poo without pinworms since the bugs we get always seem to have them. Our dragons best defense against illness, disease and parasites is a strong immune system, so a little bit of all those supplements will help her be more healthy. Feed her a good variety of leafy greens and toss in a little bit bee pollen and a pinch of probiotcs like salt & pepper. The b-complex helps bolster a good metabolism and is great for neuro & muscluar systems. Probably should have thrown in some liquid calcium, but just keep dusting her bugs. As long as her uvb and temps are good, she will be able to put all those nutrients to good use and build a strong immune system. Feel free to bug me anytime you have questions or need anything, maybe send me some poo next week to see how things are going with her. Cheryl

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
No rush, you enjoy any time off you can get. I've read countless articles on Toltrazuril and it just doesn't kill coccidia safely, I even found an article where they use it on honey bees and other insects to combat their parasites. I really like to stress how safe it is to use even if you want to use it as a preventative. Only about 50% of it is absorbed and makes its way to the liver where it is metabolized into ponazuril. They have given doses 10x more than recommended to horses and it caused no ill effects. I even spoke with a lady on the phone who accidently gave a tiny baby 10x the dosage after getting it from her vet and nothing bad happened. It was after this conversation I decided to find it and sell it. Another good thing about Toltrazuril is that it doesn't affect the immune system at all, I think this is very important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom