gooey sticky mucus discharge from the nose

zazo

Constant gooey sticky mucus discharge from one nostril only - cleaning it with a Q-tip on a regular basis. No wheezing or any other sound. Possible URI?

Can it be treated at home or need a vet?

Humidity 60% cold side, 30-40% basking side

Top screen mesh - cage is well ventilated

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Constant gooey sticky mucus discharge from one nostril only - cleaning it with a Q-tip on a regular basis. No wheezing or any other sound. Possible URI?

Can it be treated at home or need a vet?

Humidity 60% cold side, 30-40% basking side

Top screen mesh - cage is well ventilated
Sounds like it -- any wheezing or heavy breathing? Please go over the surface basking temps and how your taking them? Stick ons are inaccurate - digital probes are the most accurate -- UVB is it a coil or a long tube fixture? Coils are inadequate and can cause all kinds of health issues

zazo

Original Poster
no wheezing or heavy breathing. Basking temps are taken through the probe and digital infrared thermometer. UVB is T5 arcadia tube.

So still not sure what the cause is.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
no wheezing or heavy breathing. Basking temps are taken through the probe and digital infrared thermometer. UVB is T5 arcadia tube.

So still not sure what the cause is.
Do you have a digital probe hygrometer? Where is the uvb? In the tank or top of screen?

zazo

Original Poster
i measured the uvb with solar meeter its on point, probe reading humidity at 30-40% at the basking spot

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Not sure, usually there's some breathing trouble as well . How long has it been going on ? If it continues you might want to have it checked in case antibiotics are needed.

zazo

Original Poster
I noticed there were bubbles discharging from one of her nostrils. When the bubbles dry they become like a thick sticky mucus that covers the nostril. The other nostril is black from the inside and seems clogged - it has been like that for a couple of months at least.

I heard Baytril is good for curing a URI - is it recommended, if yes how to give it to her?

Are there any other homemade remedies that could work?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I noticed there were bubbles discharging from one of her nostrils. When the bubbles dry they become like a thick sticky mucus that covers the nostril. The other nostril is black from the inside and seems clogged - it has been like that for a couple of months at least.

I heard Baytril is good for curing a URI - is it recommended, if yes how to give it to her?

Are there any other homemade remedies that could work?
I would get her into the vet-- reptile vet www.arav.org type in a bigger cities zip code if your in a small town -- I can flag your post to Tracie shes a vet tech on here but shes probably gonna recommend a vet as well-- in the meantime I would make sure your using a good UVB correctly placed and distanced for the screen on the tank and increase your night time temps w/a ceramic heat emitter 80 over night this will help w/ the immune system -- you would administer the med by syringe and it would need to be dosed by a vet
@Drache613

zazo

Original Poster
I got her to the vet - he said it's an upper respiratory infection. He flushed her nostrils with saline solution as her nose where clogged and suggested I flush her nostrils if they got clogged again with water. He also gave me Enrofloxacin to give orally 0.12ml once a day for 7 days. Her weight is 300g and she is 7 months old.

Today is her second day on antibiotics, and her appetite for food is now less. Is this normal or its too much antibiotic?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I got her to the vet - he said it's an upper respiratory infection. He flushed her nostrils with saline solution as her nose where clogged and suggested I flush her nostrils if they got clogged again with water. He also gave me Enrofloxacin to give orally 0.12ml once a day for 7 days. Her weight is 300g and she is 7 months old.

Today is her second day on antibiotics, and her appetite for food is now less. Is this normal or its too much antibiotic?
Yes antibiotics will tend to effect the appetite - as far as med goes Tracie will haft to answer that question I will flag your post ---- I would up our night time temps at nite w/ a CHE - they have heat no light temps around 80 to keep her immune system up
@Drache613

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom