Good white basking bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camden17

So today I got a new basking bulb because my last one was yellow and I found out yellow bulbs aren’t good for them, but turns out this one gives off a yellow light too. It’s a halogen flood light so I thought it’d be fine. I guess I need a bulb with a high kelvin but I can’t seem to find anything higher than 3000. Where do you guys buy your bulbs?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4

Camden17

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1sdlrnfe said:
I use regular basking bulbs from Pet Smart - its Exo Terra Intense 150 watt for my two 120 gallon tanks- I have tried the Par 38's from Home Depot and it was a Phillips brand and it got way too hot for my tank but I had it on the screen I needed a stand to get it up high enough to bring the temp down so I do not use those - I just get the regular basking bulbs - https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/exo-terra-intense-basking-spot-light-14809.html?cgid=500202

This thread was suggested below my post and someone said that the UVB provides enough UVA and that the basking bulb is only for heat, is that accurate?

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=259933

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You want the bright white bulb for heat and UVA - the UVB does emit some UVA but you need both - the bright white mimics the sun and from what I under stand helps w/ the UVB rays here is what our vet tech said about those lights
Definitely, as suggested, upgrade to a bright white basking light. It helps to protect the eyes
also, from UVB. He will become much more active with brighter light, too.
The heat from the basking bulb starts digestion - the UVB helps w/ the absorption / synthesization of the calcium hes ingesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom