Good Breeders?

KarmaMoon

Beardie name(s)
Nova
I am looking to get a second baby, Enclosure is already on its way. Is Morph market really the main place most sale at. I know there is a Reptile show near me in 4 weeks, waiting may be a good idea because well shipping and stressing a new baby, but I want to start looking now, and want suggestions on breeders. I am looking for a tiger Leatherback I already have a Citrus, so want a different color.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The problem with ordering online is that you can't see what your getting. You could get a great beardie or you could get all manner of problems. If you do order online research the breeder to see what others are saying.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you use reputable online breeders, you'll know exactly what you're getting. More so sometimes than expos or petstores.

My top breeders I'd recommend:

Daichu
Kids and dragons
Phantom dragons
Dragintails
Kevin Dunne
KPS critters

All breeders with years if not decades of experience producing high quality dragons.

-Brandon

colbertf

Beardie name(s)
ROWAN (Gaelic for Little Red Guy)
@Claudiusx - My very first dragon I got him at 5 months old from Phantom Dragons phantomdragonsinc.com after reading online comments stating similar that they are reputable breeders and breed healthy dragons, and it was the main reason why I purchased from them. I had my boy's bloodwork done and tested for Adenovirus shortly after I got him, he tested positive for ADV. Reached out to inform Phantom Dragons and via email they got very defensive in their response, including writing the following

Phantom Dragons wrote>> "There is nothing that a positive adv test means. The animals naturally carry it. It's found in wild and captive animals and there is no test to find a confirmed negative animal. If you're going off of the Google blogs from a Google search, those are 15 years old from the first fearmongering that was done to push people into testing because they got kickbacks from it. If what they were saying had come to pass, beardeds would be extinct. They are not. "

Kind of like saying all dogs have rabies. I just left it , they know what they are doing, if my boy came ADV+ then others they sell have the Atadenovirus. My boy is 10 months now, and showing a lot of signs of ADV, many vet visits , bloodwork, I've done everything possible including ultrasounds & a CT-scan recently (not cheap), my vet trying to find something that maybe could be treated, but it seems the Atadenovirus is the root of his issues , two reptile vet opinions. My vet has been really great, as has the invaluable help & advice I've gotten from Tracie - thank you @Drache613 - This is my personal experience, if I had known anything of this sort about Phantom Dragons I would never have bought from them and would have looked elsewhere, saying that, I love my boy ROWAN and I continue to do all I can to support him, I wish things were different and he didn't come with ADV, I'm grateful for the time I have had, I would not change that, but it's been heartbreaking seeing his decline over these past 3+ months.

Last edited:

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
I had a good experience with kids and dragons! He is still answers any questions I have and is so helpful. I have listened to a podcast interview with Fairytail Dragons and she seems great.

Lobretto

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Verstappen and Checo
The problem with ordering online is that you can't see what your getting. You could get a great beardie or you could get all manner of problems. If you do order online research the breeder to see what others are saying.
My only issue is trying to find high quality morphs anywhere but online. There are a couple good reptile shows in my area each year but even then there arnt many beardie breeders. I always make sure I'm familiar with any breeder I plan to purchase from. When I decided to get some babies morphs I must have spent weeks researching various breeders and asking them tons of questions.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I agree its hard to find especially the newer morphs. When chomp passed i wanted another one straight away. (I'm slightly obsessive and it gives me something to think about other than loosing her). The problem i kept running into was no one had dragons ready to sell at the time much less high end morphs. I got lucky and a local reptile shop had a few. Thats how i ended up with Snicker Doodle. She was dark red at the shop, by the time i got her home she is a high orange with blue bars.

Attachments

• 20220613_181911.jpg
    20220613_181911.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 81

Lobretto

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Verstappen and Checo
I agree its hard to find especially the newer morphs. When chomp passed i wanted another one straight away. (I'm slightly obsessive and it gives me something to think about other than loosing her). The problem i kept running into was no one had dragons ready to sell at the time much less high end morphs. I got lucky and a local reptile shop had a few. Thats how i ended up with Snicker Doodle. She was dark red at the shop, by the time i got her home she is a high orange with blue bars.
How much did they charge at the shop? There is a local shop where I'm at that typically has reds but not at the best prices.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I gave just under 300 for her.
She hasn't been red since i brought her home, our rehab was the same she was red at the same store,but turned orange within a couple hours. I think the red was do to high stress

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Snikers was bought for a breeding project,then the guy decided to breed snakes instead and traded her in on a boa. His loose lol :cool:

TacoinFL

Beardie name(s)
Taco
@Claudiusx - My very first dragon I got him at 5 months old from Phantom Dragons phantomdragonsinc.com after reading online comments stating similar that they are reputable breeders and breed healthy dragons, and it was the main reason why I purchased from them. I had my boy's bloodwork done and tested for Adenovirus shortly after I got him, he tested positive for ADV. Reached out to inform Phantom Dragons and via email they got very defensive in their response, including writing the following

Phantom Dragons wrote>> "There is nothing that a positive adv test means. The animals naturally carry it. It's found in wild and captive animals and there is no test to find a confirmed negative animal. If you're going off of the Google blogs from a Google search, those are 15 years old from the first fearmongering that was done to push people into testing because they got kickbacks from it. If what they were saying had come to pass, beardeds would be extinct. They are not. "

Kind of like saying all dogs have rabies. I just left it , they know what they are doing, if my boy came ADV+ then others they sell have the Atadenovirus. My boy is 10 months now, and showing a lot of signs of ADV, many vet visits , bloodwork, I've done everything possible including ultrasounds & a CT-scan recently (not cheap), my vet trying to find something that maybe could be treated, but it seems the Atadenovirus is the root of his issues , two reptile vet opinions. My vet has been really great, as has the invaluable help & advice I've gotten from Tracie - thank you @Drache613 - This is my personal experience, if I had known anything of this sort about Phantom Dragons I would never have bought from them and would have looked elsewhere, saying that, I love my boy ROWAN and I continue to do all I can to support him, I wish things were different and he didn't come with ADV, I'm grateful for the time I have had, I would not change that, but it's been heartbreaking seeing his decline over these past 3+ months.
We're in a similar situation with a different breeder. I'm pretty sure Taco has ADV. We're having him tested. We got him at 5 months, too. He's been sick with one thing or another since we've had him and my daughter is working her tail off to take care of him (with my support). He's 8 months now.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
What breeder did you use? I'm going to be getting a couple more in the next little bit, i don't want to buy from breeders that sell sub-par animals.

TacoinFL

Beardie name(s)
Taco
What breeder did you use? I'm going to be getting a couple more in the next little bit, i don't want to buy from breeders that sell sub-par animals.
Until I'm sure he has ADV, I don't want to report them socially as I feel somewhat neutral currently. I've been talking to her and she repeated instructions that we're doing-starting over from the top; lighting, tank set up, food, everything. He needs a bigger tank and we were waiting until Christmas, but it can't wait. Honestly, though, if he has ADV and he's going to be sick like this we can't keep him. I have chronic health issues and my husband has new health issues that are adding to the mix. As much as we love him. We're seriously considering re-homing him. I'm so torn up and don't know if I should have him tested, get a new cage and all that to make sure he has a good place, but he's going to need more care than we can keep up. She's in school all day and I'm at the drs. Sorry for the whole story I'm just in tears.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I know it's hard, i feel bad for your family. I hope it turns out your beardie is adv free. They can live long and decent lives with it sometimes but i think care is way harder than a healthy beardie.
One thing to keep in mind, if it turns out he does have adv, it is contagious, and if i understand correctly it survives for a long time in an environment, so keep that in mind if you get another one. I would either discard or sanitize the bejebbers outta everything.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom